need help dating a gretsch round badge

PPF

Reaction score
I recently purchased a gretsch round badge progressive jazz on reverb from a new york drum shop. Obviously it was stripped a while back as there are no original natural round badge around. and was refinished in natural stain, really great looking + no extra holes!
the seller told me that the toms are from the late 60s and bass drum from 1970. Price was at 1150 for the set so I figured I always wanted to own one, let's buy this beauty :)

yesterday it arrived and bam, first surprise: no grey interior (except for the floor tom, which was repainted short time ago and still had that smell), no paper tags..
I'm not a gretsch expert at all, so my question: is this even a gretsch? :D if so, can you estimate when it's from?

thanks for your help,

Peter

Attachments

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like it could be a Good Player and Heads should go On well
everything- from what I can tell by the pics- until you get them assembled and displayed--and the story is clear on the inside of the bass--- looks right

(put em together and take some shots from some distance)

Reactions: PPF

PPF

Reaction score
that was the original add

I just put on new heads - they fit nicely! and it sounds killing <3

any thoughts on wether or not to remove the mufflers? it's a lot of metal..

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
All hardware looks Gretsch. Looks like a sweet kit! My 50's RB 5.5x14 3 ply natural mahogany snare has similar ply makeup and no grey inside. I wonder if the FT is later? When you say repainted, do you think it was grey and they re-did it, or just painted it grey for that "great" sound?

For the price, that's an amazing deal shipped for a vintage 12/14/20! And I'd love to have a natural wood kit like that - especially since any head will fit with no issues! Unfortunately, I have not been able to come across just shells to strip (or that are stripped) and finish......great score, man!

And keep the mufflers on the drums - use them or not, they look so dang cool!

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Bass drum one (the Pratt muffler) is a biotch to put back on exactly, may want to keep that in place, the others can be bagged)
Nice now you need an 8L Renown wmp from around 1965
Nice

and you'll be all 1967'ed up.

PPF

Reaction score
All hardware looks Gretsch. Looks like a sweet kit! My 50's RB 5.5x14 3 ply natural mahogany snare has similar ply makeup and no grey inside. I wonder if the FT is later? When you say repainted, do you think it was grey and they re-did it, or just painted it grey for that "great" sound?

For the price, that's an amazing deal shipped for a vintage 12/14/20! And I'd love to have a natural wood kit like that - especially since any head will fit with no issues! Unfortunately, I have not been able to come across just shells to strip (or that are stripped) and finish......great score, man!

And keep the mufflers on the drums - use them or not, they look so dang cool!
Thanks man, got lucky on that one, but I kept my eyes open for quite a while now..

To me it looks like it was natural before and someone repainted it grey. cause the natural colour still shines through, like if he didn't use enough paint

so you think it's 50s??

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not by the (current) Rail placement..(no evidence of it been moved)...
I'd put those drums ( the ad says "late sixties") as 1962-3 to 1964-66
could maybe stretch to 1968 but hmm. that's it

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
To me it looks like it was natural before and someone repainted it grey. cause the natural colour still shines through, like if he didn't use enough paint

so you think it's 50s??
Silver sealer back in the day was quite thin, and the grain showed through pretty clearly. Nothing I see says “50’s” to me. Those FT legs are early SSB era, but I don’t think that’s meaningful for dating the kit, just what a former owner was able to dig up when the originals got left in a cab or whatever.

bopdaddy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a gretsch round badge progressive jazz on reverb from a new york drum shop. Obviously it was stripped a while back as there are no original natural round badge around. and was refinished in natural stain, really great looking + no extra holes!
the seller told me that the toms are from the late 60s and bass drum from 1970. Price was at 1150 for the set so I figured I always wanted to own one, let's buy this beauty :)

yesterday it arrived and bam, first surprise: no grey interior (except for the floor tom, which was repainted short time ago and still had that smell), no paper tags..
I'm not a gretsch expert at all, so my question: is this even a gretsch? :D if so, can you estimate when it's from?

thanks for your help,

Peter
Bass drum grommet is smaller size, probably originally a 70's stop sign replaced with earlier RB snare drum badge

PPF

Reaction score
Bass drum grommet is smaller size, probably originally a 70's stop sign replaced with earlier RB snare drum badge
Interesting! are there any other indicators that the bass drum might be a stop sign - anything I should specifically look for?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maxwell is selling this but I was hoping he would have ply and interior pics but no. Maybe reach out to him...?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The spurs are also SSB era but might be replacements. The one thing that isn't more or less the same on early SSB bass drums vs. RB is the breather hole. RB bass drums had a 9/16ths diameter hole with a larger grommet. SSB bass drums used the same smaller grommet as the snares and toms. Anything is possible I suppose but if there is no evidence of that hole having once been larger and then "fixed" in some way then I'd say that bass drum probably originally had a SSB.