Need help dating this old Gretsch(broadcaster?) Snare.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Hi all you great people of dfo!

A friend of mine sent me one of his snares for me to resto/touch up a bit.
It's a Gretsch 8lug 14x5.5" with diecast hoops. Fairly thick shell without re-rings.
I think it's a broadcaster model. Am I right?
I think it had a wrap that somone took off and aplied a somewhat dodgy paint job.
The inside has silver sealer/fence paint but I'm not sure if it's original since there are some spots here and there that don't look to good.
No paper tag inside.
Did Gretsch aply the silver sealer to the bearing edges?
This drum has sealer on the edges except on the outside counter cut.

So basicly the info I'm looking for is date/type/model, and if the sealer is original.
I'm not to familiar with vintage American drums, so any help and info is much appreciated.
T

Attachments

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree the finish is not original inside or out,I've never seen the bearing edges painted like that.And the original fence paint would be much more translucent. Typically you could see the ply's on the edge.
It looks like a thick 3 ply shell ,the drum is definitely 50's badge and hoops.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Thanks guys!
Never thought it was as early as 50's.
As I'm going to put a nice antique wmp wrap on her, I was wondering if Gretsch back then due to the oversized shell cut the wrap down like 3/4" from the bearing edge like they do now a days, or if the wrap sat flush with the edge counter cut?

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
ToBBa said:
Thanks guys!
Never thought it was as early as 50's.
As I'm going to put a nice antique wmp wrap on her, I was wondering if Gretsch back then due to the oversized shell cut the wrap down like 3/4" from the bearing edge like they do now a days, or if the wrap sat flush with the edge counter cut?
FACTORY WRAP FROM BACK IN THE DAY WAS NEVER NOTCHED. THE HEADS WERE EITHER CALF SKIN OR MYLAR BUT WERE MADE TO FIT THE SHELL DIAMETER OF DRUMS OF THE ERA.

dontfeartheringo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dang. I'm looking for exactly this drum with a Micro Sensitive. If you decide that wrapping it is going to make it too hard to use with modern heads, I'd be interested in buying it or trading it for something, as I will likely strip it and lacquer it to match my round badge kit from the same era.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Spongebob said:
FACTORY WRAP FROM BACK IN THE DAY WAS NEVER NOTCHED. THE HEADS WERE EITHER CALF SKIN OR MYLAR BUT WERE MADE TO FIT THE SHELL DIAMETER OF DRUMS OF THE ERA.
I suspected so. Thanks for the info, really appreciate it!
dontfeartheringo said:
Dang. I'm looking for exactly this drum with a Micro Sensitive. If you decide that wrapping it is going to make it too hard to use with modern heads, I'd be interested in buying it or trading it for something, as I will likely strip it and lacquer it to match my round badge kit from the same era.
Sorry mate, it's not my drum.
I put the wrap on yesterday, and it worked pretty well. I did a dw type wrap overlap, so I still get the remo amb heads on without to much hassle.
Will be a sweet looking drum. No I just have to work the chrome a bit, it's quite pitted especially the cob hoops...will just have to try to make the best out of it.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agree with earlier posts......................

Silver sealer and finish are not original..................everything else looks good.
Too bad paper sticker is missing.

I own a 100% original 1954 vintage Gretsch snare drum............also in WMP.

My WMP is almost YMP !

See below.....................

Attachments

Latest posts