Need help deciding on next kit! Ddrum or Pearl ?

Sambo84

Reaction score
Looking at these 2 kits but can't really decide:

I haven't really had much experience with ddrum but I really like the configuration and satin black finish. Sweetwater doesn't have a video of them but ddrum's video sounds pretty darn good. Normally wouldn't really go for the 20" long kick, mainly because of the footprint but I actually really liked the boom from a 22x20 Gretsch I used to have. The Pearl sounds REALLY good in the Sweetwater video and I love that Black Halo finish and it does have the more traditional size bass drum. Pearl is a brand I'm more familiar with too but the main deterrent is the 6 month build time. Either way planning to add a 18" floor tom, which is already available online for the ddrum but I think I'd have to order that for the Pearl too.

I'm probably gonna let go of my Ludwig Classic Maple to fund the new kit. Seems like maybe a downgrade but the ddrum is also maple. Something enticing though about the birch/mahogany configuration on the Pearls. Anybody have any experience with these ?

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking at these 2 kits but can't really decide:.....

I'm probably gonna let go of my Ludwig Classic Maple to fund the new kit. Seems like maybe a downgrade but the ddrum is also maple. Something enticing though about the birch/mahogany configuration on the Pearls. Anybody have any experience with these ?
Of the 3 mentioned - first choice by a wide margin - keep the Classic Maples.
2nd choice would be the Pearl,
and far down the list would be Ddrum

So - not much help deciding from me. :p

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Ddrum is going to have really poor resale value if you don’t end up liking them long term. For that reason alone I would buy the Pearl. But it seems to me that in this price range there should be a lot more options to consider. Especially if you are willing to consider used. But if it’s new only, what about Gretach Renown or Tama? I would put both of those higher on the list if it were my purchase.
And I agree with the others that a USA Ludwig set is going to be better quality than any of the others.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've bought Pearl almost exclusively over the past few decades, 5 or 6 kits in all. The Decade kit I have now is ok but IMO Pearl's quality has dropped or I just got smarter and wiser in my (ahem...), advancing years.

JMO but if I were to buy a new kit I would be looking in a different direction and probably not new at this point for me. Seems like everything is junky anymore so finding quality is harder to get anymore seemingly.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Change it up! Go with the birch/mahogany Pearl kit. If you want a change, that would be a good one. Everyone loves those drums. The Ludwigs are awesome, but it’s definitely not a downgrade to the Session Studios. Apples and oranges.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those kits are both downgrades from your Ludwigs. You're going from a pro-tier kit to two mid-tier options. They're all fine drums -- even the student-tier drums most manufacturers are making these days are sufficient for most people's needs, but let's not pretend that this isn't a downgrade. What's the reason for selling the Ludwigs?

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pearl Session Studio Select is a very good kit for the money.
Sounds a little different than maples, but I really like it.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keep the Ludwigs, or sell them...to buy different Ludwig/Gretsch ;)

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you pounded around on the kits at your nearest local drum shop?

Sambo84

Reaction score
Appreciate everyone's input. I know selling the Ludwigs doesn't exactly make sense even to me--I think it's more about making a change than anything. I've had the Ludwigs about 12 years, loved and taken care of them but just feel like it's time for a change. The Ludwig is a 13/16/22 and also have an old Rogers 12/14/20 set that I may let go of (but probably willing to sit on longer)--I had been using the toms from it with the Ludwig and want to be able to fund a 4 tom kit and maybe even add a 5th. I'm playing with a heavier rock band and hopefully gigging again soon and honestly just feeling more like having a solid player's kit, as much as I've loved these classic kits. I've just been hearing some mid grade kits lately that tuned up really well --do wish I could check out some of these in person but very few dealers have the ddrums on hand.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
My Pearl Session Studio Selects are absolutely incredible. One of the best built and sounding kits I've played. Pearl really stepped it up on these. It's a kit I never plan on replacing.

The Ludwigs are also incredible though!

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
GC has one of the newer 6 piece DDrum on sale for about $1100 in a natural maple.

Includes die cast 13 inch rim snare,22x20 BD and it's not bad.
Quality fit and finish are pretty good.

But,Ddrum has garnered a bad rep over the years for poor materials and workmanship,so buyer beware.

Square

Reaction score
I have no experience with either kit you are looking at. I do, however, own the Pearl Session Studio Classic in Birch/Kapur wood.

If I were playing a gig comprised of heavier rock music, the Pearl would be my go to.

I'm always concerned with resale value, and in that regard Ddrum would be a concern for me.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Appreciate everyone's input. I know selling the Ludwigs doesn't exactly make sense even to me--I think it's more about making a change than anything. I've had the Ludwigs about 12 years, loved and taken care of them but just feel like it's time for a change. The Ludwig is a 13/16/22 and also have an old Rogers 12/14/20 set that I may let go of (but probably willing to sit on longer)--I had been using the toms from it with the Ludwig and want to be able to fund a 4 tom kit and maybe even add a 5th. I'm playing with a heavier rock band and hopefully gigging again soon and honestly just feeling more like having a solid player's kit, as much as I've loved these classic kits. I've just been hearing some mid grade kits lately that tuned up really well --do wish I could check out some of these in person but very few dealers have the ddrums on hand.
Do tell, with pics, about the Rogers??? 60's? 70's??

Reactions: owr

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never understand why people who don't live in apartments, and/or who aren't strapped for cash sell drums. I love having day to day (or gig to gig) options. Of course, I'm the guy who'd rather have several dirt cheap warhorse vehicles than own a single perfect Tacoma.