Need help deciding on next kit! Ddrum or Pearl ?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I never understand why people who don't live in apartments, and/or who aren't strapped for cash sell drums. I love having day to day (or gig to gig) options. Of course, I'm the guy who'd rather have several dirt cheap warhorse vehicles than own a single perfect Tacoma.
Can’t keep them all! I like trying new things but letting go of the ones that don’t seem like keepers.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd look at INDe Drums. For $900, you could get a sweet handcrafted set, and not something from Asia. At least the black would be a stain, not a wrap.
Just Sayn'
Where can you find a 4-tom INDe kit for $900? For that matter, where can you find any INDe kit for $900 new?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you did ask for input and you’ve gotten that! I’ll pile on. It makes no sense to me (IMHO) on a downgrade from the Ludwigs. Want something for a change? Get something that will hold their value. The ddrums and Pearls will not do that. For me, I’ve been on a Yamaha journey (I have four yammy kits) but there are so many options I would choose before ddrums or Pearls. I would go for the following first:
Tama
Jenkins-Martin
Gretsch (Broadkaster, Brooklyn’s, USA Customs or Maples, Renowns. Not Catalina’s)
Rogers if you can find a kit in good condition.
Ludwig but you know those
INDe
DW (for me, only Collectors)
Mapex

But get what floats your boat!

Last edited:

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! That was my immediate reaction too.

But seriously, lets see those Rogers...

Do tell, with pics, about the Rogers??? 60's? 70's??

Sambo84

Reaction score
IMG_1360.jpg

These are the Rogers some were asking about --you can see the 12 and 14 here, there is a 20 bass drum but it's just been in the closet. They are silver GG and the set originally had a 16" FT--they were all Cleveland tagged. In bad judgment I sold the 16 but bought the 14 separately (and paid a pretty penny)--it is Dayton but perfect match. Also had a matching power tone snare at one time and regretfully sold it but I never loved it as much as the other drums.

Man that Black Halo finish on the Pearls looks killer but I'm thinking they must be discontinuing that finish. Seems like they change the available finishes for that series regularly. I think I found a winner with a used set of the Pearls --kinda glad you guys talked me out of the ddrum and got me to consider a used set. Found one lightly used with a 24x14 kick and the 18FT I was after. Still planning to sell the others but will see if things go according to plan xD Appreciate the input

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where can you find a 4-tom INDe kit for $900? For that matter, where can you find any INDe kit for $900 new?

I never said 4 pc set....

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I never said 4 pc set....
4 toms was an explicit request of the OP. And the only $900 kit on that page is a used demo.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in just to say that if you want to expand to a set with more toms, why not simply add toms to your Classic Maple kit? Unless your kit is in a discontinued finish this should be the way to get the experience of playing a new setup with your new band without wasting spending money on a kit that's inherently inferior to your Ludwigs.

P.S. KEEP THOSE ROGERS!

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pearl vs Ddrum

Hands down, Pearl every time.

Don't sell the CM's, add a Birch or Maple Pearl Sessions/Sessions Select. These are Top Tier drums under disguise.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had a DDrum snare, really lousy quality. Sold it to a pro drummer buddy who liked the size and sound (7x13 maple). He broke a couple of lugs right away smacking rim shots.

I do not know why there is such a bad rap against newer Pearls... I have two Pearl Sensitone snares and a newer MIDTOWN kit, all very nice. I would not hesitate to buy that Pearl kit. Keep the Luddys and the Rogers though. A feller's gotta have at least three kits.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well for me I hate pearls mounts and overall
Look. So I would choose ddrum. But I also own 4 ddrum kits. All dominion (in which was highly under rated) all have die cast hoops all the way around.
I own a ddrum dominion maple blue sparkle 22/12/16
Ddrum dominion ash
20/12/14/16
Ddrum dominion birch
20-10-16
Ddrum dominion birch
20/12/16.
mall easy to tune and all sound insanely good no matter what heads I use. I’ve owned dw kits Yamaha kits gretsch and vintage ludwigs and slingys. And for the price and sound of a ddrum dominion I won’t buy high end or vintage any more. The lugs and hoops are killer. Only complaint I’ve ever had is the snare throw off I didn’t care for. With that said I’m up to 10 kits now and 4 are ddrum. The customer service has been awesome for me as well with ddrum. I bought a birch kick drum and it came with a busted lug and spire and they sent me a brand new set of spurs and a few lugs with tension rods. I know some of the other lines used cheaper parts but that dominion line they messed up making them as cheap as they did. They sound killer.

Edit: I did just get a ddrum hybrid birch kit with built in triggers. So 5 ddrum kits out of 11 lol

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
4 toms was an explicit request of the OP. And the only $900 kit on that page is a used demo.
They are pre-built, and still better than some POS from china....many sets today are sold without a snare, since they are more personal

signals91

Reaction score
I own both a Pearl Session Studio Select kit (13-16-18-24) and a Ludwig CM kit (10-13-16-24). And I wouldn't part with either kit. The Pearl has this controlled deep fundamental timbre and the kick drum is awesome. That being said, my Ludwig CM's are great in their own way, more projection, more resonant, but definitely more attack in the mid-range. I've been gigging a lot with my country band, but opting to bring out the Pearl kit because it sets up will in the mix and the drums are lighter (thinner shells 5.4mm) thus easier to transport.

But you cannot go wrong with the Pearl SSS kit, but keep the Ludwigs!