Need help deciding on next kit! Ddrum or Pearl ?

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are pre-built, and still better than some POS from china....many sets today are sold without a snare, since they are more personal

Hmmm... My POS from China Yamaha SCB kit is one of the best built sets I have ever owned. BEAUTIFUL finish, good sound, low $$. Pretty cool for a POS!

yamaha SCB (2).JPG

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at these 2 kits but can't really decide:

I haven't really had much experience with ddrum but I really like the configuration and satin black finish. Sweetwater doesn't have a video of them but ddrum's video sounds pretty darn good. Normally wouldn't really go for the 20" long kick, mainly because of the footprint but I actually really liked the boom from a 22x20 Gretsch I used to have. The Pearl sounds REALLY good in the Sweetwater video and I love that Black Halo finish and it does have the more traditional size bass drum. Pearl is a brand I'm more familiar with too but the main deterrent is the 6 month build time. Either way planning to add a 18" floor tom, which is already available online for the ddrum but I think I'd have to order that for the Pearl too.

I'm probably gonna let go of my Ludwig Classic Maple to fund the new kit. Seems like maybe a downgrade but the ddrum is also maple. Something enticing though about the birch/mahogany configuration on the Pearls. Anybody have any experience with these ?
KEEP THE LUDWIGS!!

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... My POS from China Yamaha SCB kit is one of the best built sets I have ever owned. BEAUTIFUL finish, good sound, low $$. Pretty cool for a POS!

View attachment 499915
Them is some wonderfully sounding with a mighty wide tuning range! I have a 6-piece set at my sister's house! Outstanding bang for your buck!!

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I'd go with the Ddrum based on the tom arms alone, and probably the finish too.

As for the maple vs maple/birch... I have bass drums from the same line/company. Two maple, one birch. Can't hear a difference at all.

Tornado

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd go with the Ddrum based on the tom arms alone, and probably the finish too.

As for the maple vs maple/birch... I have bass drums from the same line/company. Two maple, one birch. Can't hear a difference at all.
Is there REALLY that much of a difference with modern Pearl tom mounts?

ddrum-dios-maple-drumset-720x440.jpg

STS925SP-315-d955a98430faad8e1c6fa439b0db0d43.jpg

I think people are stuck in the past thinking about the plumbing sticking up out of that old Export kit they had.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is there REALLY that much of a difference with modern Pearl tom mounts?
I think people are stuck in the past thinking about the plumbing sticking up out of that old Export kit they had.
I have to admit I have always hated Pearl mounts, BUT... I would still choose the Pearl kit over the Ddrum 100 out of 100 times.

Again OP, DO NOT SELL THE LUDWIGS!