Need help identifying Leedy & Strupe 14 x 6 1/2 COB snare

Paul Belanger

Reaction score
Greetings fellow enthusiasts,

Just got my hands on a really nice condition Leedy & Strupe, 14'' x 6 1/2'' COB snare. Pretty well kept, not pricey (paid 400 CAD, which is the equivalent of 312$ US), although the strainer is a Leedy 4 point strainer, not original. It does hide the original holes. Sounds like you would expect from a COB dating from the 30's.

I've been searching everywhere for information on L&S, probably came across all links you guys already know about (Not So Modern Drummer, etc).

Does anyone, anywhere, have a catalog or new information to share?

Attached are a couple of pictures of the drum.

I thank you in advance for your knowledge,

Paul

1986 Yamaha Recording Custom 8 - 10 - 12 - 13 - 16 - 18 - 22
1972 Ludwig Maple Classic 14 - 16 - 18 - 26
Snares of various vintage years

Attachments

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice score...handsome drum... I have no knowledge to lend...but keep us posted.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi here's the little bit John Aldridge has in his great book "Vintage Drums" hope you can
L@S 2.JPG
L&S 3.JPG
L&S 2.JPG
expand the photos to read the text!

Paul Belanger

Reaction score
Good evening guys,

Thanks for the replies. From what I've gathered, there were a few models produced during the short-lived Leedy & Strupe era. The Dictator - I think history soon proved this was a bad idea for a name, especially considering the 30's... - which is not this model (because it had a wooden shell), but was considered the higher end model. Another model - which I think this one ''might'' be - was the Service Model. Only, I can't find any catalog anywhere that would come as proof of either models existing and, more significant, any picture of what their respective features were.

I think I didn't mention it in the original post: to add to the mystery, this snare drum has 8 lugs. Considering the era, 8 lugs snare drums were typically the higher ranked in quality, as opposed to 6 lugs snare drums.

Plus: every picture I have seen of Leedy & Strupe snare drums similar to this one have the butt plate somehow located around mid height on the shell. This one has the butt plate located in a more common place, near the snare side hoop. Maybe because it's a 6 1/2'' shell? I would not know.

Hoops are the stick chopper kind, COB.

I managed to take a picture of the inside of the shell (see attached), to show what the original - or not? - strainer holes looked like. The four bolts you see here are the ones from the 4 point strainer. I am in the process of rebuilding a 1st generation Leedy Broadway Parallel snare, and the slotted hole reminds me of this. So far, I haven't been able to identify a single strainer that would fit this hole pattern.

Attachments

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a L&S posting from NotSoModernDrummer.com 2.1.21

Paul Belanger

Reaction score
Hello Richard,

Thanks for the link. I did get a look at the pictures of the catalog that are included in the NSMD article. The badges on the snares look like the one on mine. Only: none of the snares displayed are available in a metal configuration, they all appear to be wooden shells.

The search continues.

Paul

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Richard,

Thanks for the link. I did get a look at the pictures of the catalog that are included in the NSMD article. The badges on the snares look like the one on mine. Only: none of the snares displayed are available in a metal configuration, they all appear to be wooden shells.

The search continues.

Paul
I have the 1936 L&S Catalog (and the author of the above article on the Dictator outfit). Please send me pics & I'll check through my catalog. If I find a match, I'll send you scans of the page. Bob Campbell: [email protected]

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based upon the bottom snare gates, tube lugs, and hole pattern of the strainer, I would guess that this is a L&S Rhythm King snare (see catalog pic)...Best wishes, Bob

Attachments

Last edited:

Paul Belanger

Reaction score
Hello Bob,

Just sent you pictures of the snare to the e-mail address you provided. Let me know if you need some more.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Paul