Need help Identifying Ludwig Bass and snare

Jambo11

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently purchased some drums and cymbals and I think I got a really good deal. The Snare is Keystone badge with serial number 3266784. It is metal. The bass drum is 3266640 and appears to be maple. I believe these were 1966. Can anyone tell me what snare this is. My nephew picked it them up for me who lives in another state. I will pick them up on Christmas. The snare looks to be metallic black per his description. The snare picture is not the best. Anyone out there can you tell me what I have?

Attachments

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those look like 1980’s or even 1990’s drums. The bass drum is 6 ply (there are no reinforcement rings) and that is a post 1985 Monroe, NC badge on what looks to be a black beauty.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The serial numbers are just sequential numbers, applied somewhat randomly, and contain no sort of encoded information beyond a lower number usually being an older drum. So if you think the 66 in the serials is significant...it isn't.

The snare drum appears to be a Black Beauty which is a very desirable drum. I'd guess these drums are from the 1990s. Maple/poplar six ply shell unless they are new enough to Classic Maple series which are all maple.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From a distance those rack toms almost look like Tama "T" badges. But those long single BD lugs don't quite fit. The hardware is mostly Tama 1980's or very early 90's, including the throne. Good hardware package. Close ups of the badges can help dial in the year.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
You were estimating a decimal place off - 326XXX would be ‘66, but these are 3-million-something, so yes, the above estimates are much closer.

The snare does indeed appear to be a newer Black Beauty, and those are something I’d defer to anybody else who responded before me on.

I can tell you that if you bought these on a whim at bought-these-on-a-whim money, you did good.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
From a distance those rack toms almost look like Tama "T" badges. But those long single BD lugs don't quite fit. The hardware is mostly Tama 1980's or very early 90's, including the throne. Good hardware package. Close ups of the badges can help dial in the year.
You may be right. Floor tom legs look like Tama as well. Might be three Tama toms with a Ludwig snare and bass drum.

Latest posts