Need Help Identifying REALLY OLD Ludwig Snare!!!!

rgeiger1217

Reaction score
Hey All!

Just Registered to the forums in search of someone who can tell me about my Ludwig snare. I do know that the color combo is called Black/Gold Duco, but other than that, please help me identify badge era, hardware, and how much someone would be willing to pay for it. Shell is in perfect shape, with very little cracks in the paint. However, the lug casings have some pitting going on, as well as just general wear, as they are original. Tension rods are all in great shape. :angel3: Note - I have everything disassembled as I am currently cleaning hardware and hoops.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_42f.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_430.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_431.jpg
IMG_9914.JPG

kdgrissom

Reaction score
The White enamel badge should put it in the 1930's.
The Lugs look like they are the tapped variety and have no inserts, so be veeery careful re-threading the tension rods. I see the incorrect strainer mounted and some extra holes for the muffler, too. (?)
Nice drum you got there.

rgeiger1217

Reaction score
Thanks for the response!! I too noticed the extra holes. I think I have an answer.
I believe that a previous owner installed newer hardware at some point and realized that the measurements didn't add up. So he/ she probably just drilled new holes for their hardware. As I said, Hoops, Tension rods, Lug Casings, and the muffler that I have are all original, however, the snare strainer and butt plate are newer. It still sounds crazy good though!

rgeiger1217

Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't think that was a date.... lol. Do you know where I could find a catalog from '41?

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
from the catalogs, It looks to be a 41' but the throw does not match my 41 standard and it does not match any other in the 2 catalogs I looked at. Also the muffler has been re-drilled, thus the extra 3 holes. A standard has extended standoff pieces for longer snares and that came out in 40. I think it is the 27BLG found in the 40s catalog with a newer throw. The 27BLG came with the streamliner and Manhattan sets but as the smaller size snare option, in catalog shows with 6.5. Look in the drumarchive.com website for Ludwig and you will find 2 catalogs for 1940. A version of your drum is in both.

rgeiger1217

Reaction score
In addition to the other weird things, The shell is 7 inches tall, not 6.5.
hmmmmmm......

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't think that was a date.... lol. Do you know where I could find a catalog from '41?
vintagedrumguide.com

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
built on the eve of WWII or something..geezus...important date..wow
24 days after Pearl Harbor geezus...

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Deleted post. Inquiry by "new member" was just to flip the drum.

Last edited:

bfulton

Reaction score
There is also drumarchive.com
All kinds of information on many companies

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to keep from getting sucked in by these opportunists who are just looking for information to help flip their recently found item for the most money on Ebay.
This drum is now on Ebay with some of the information we posted for them. Interesting that their photos here showed the drum in a worse light than their glossy photos on Ebay. Why not include that photos of the rims off for a more realistic view of the drum's remaining paint?

Look ma - now I'm on Ebay

Last edited:

rgeiger1217

Reaction score
What do you mean opportunist? Of course I am trying to flip the drum, which is why I sought after people who know more about these vintage drums than I do. I have 2 snares already, and I'm not a collector. I have no need to hold onto the drum, and I'm happy that everyone gave me the necessary info that I needed. The reason the price is so high is that selling it is not a pressing issue for me; I can hold onto it for a while. eBay automatically lowers the price over time. So please relax, and thanks again for the help! Not everyone is going to keep the drums, and it's ultimately my decision as to what I decide to do with it.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And it's ultimately our individual decisions as to whether we want to assist a new member in their potential flip....which is probably where half of the new members come from....never to be seen again. I don't mind helping out a family member on an inheritance from a dad, uncle, etc. on a "family owned kit." Done that a few times.

At least if you came right up front to state your intention to resell you'd have more footing. I'm just sorry I helped out. You even quoted part of my post in your Ebay description as if you came up with it. Love it. You've just made it a LOT harder on the next "new member" who might really be interested in hanging around here for more than just the next flip. I stick by "opportunist." You could have found most of the same information on line with several hours of digging on your own. Forum members are certainly willing to help for "the right reasons." For myself, I usually dig for several hours, or days before I present a question to forum members on some item I ran across.....often searching this very site up to several years back. I figure that's the least I can do to show some due diligence....and true interest in the item other than just $$. This drum forum's main goal isn't to assist Ebay sellers in maximizing their dollars and helping to write their listings.....with minimum effort by the seller.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And it's ultimately our individual decisions as to whether we want to assist a new member in their potential flip....which is probably where half of the new members come from....never to be seen again. I don't mind helping out a family member on an inheritance from a dad, uncle, etc. on a "family owned kit." Done that a few times.

At least if you came right up front to state your intention to resell you'd have more footing. I'm just sorry I helped out. You even quoted part of my post in your Ebay description as if you came up with it. Love it. You've just made it a LOT harder on the next "new member" who might really be interested in hanging around here for more than just the next flip. I stick by "opportunist." You could have found most of the same information on line with several hours of digging on your own. Forum members are certainly willing to help for "the right reasons." For myself, I usually dig for several hours, or days before I present a question to forum members on some item I ran across.....often searching this very site up to several years back. I figure that's the least I can do to show some due diligence....and true interest in the item other than just $$. This drum forum's main goal isn't to assist Ebay sellers in maximizing their dollars and helping to write their listings.....with minimum effort by the seller.

I always enjoy your posts, and you seem like an awesome guy. You have a depth of knowledge about the things we discuss and I know I'm probably one of a thousand people that you've helped learn. We can always count on you to give it to us straight.
I just dont get where you're coming from on this one.
We must have hundreds of new members here that started accounts to learn about the value of their gear, and then they stayed and contributed to our conversation (which I'm genuinely greatful for). And I'm one of them!
It is kind of annoying when people join, start a thread, find the info they need and then are never heard from again. Kind of feel used.
But I think, on the whole, this forum helps people find their instruments and their voices and I think that's way more important. Because then they use them to make art.
There's always going to be jerks.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry DBCooper. I just find it quite annoying to do research and typing for others, dredging up old photos, etc.... only to see their item your are helping them on show up for sale the next day....and even worse, like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. At least have the decency to mention your main intention is to put the item up for sale once you have the necessary information. And btw, I enjoy your posts and many other researchers around here. I've learned a ton from others here. And when I learn from others, I try to pay it back with information I've dug up. I feel uncomfortable (and opportunistic) just asking a question out of the blue without doing even a sliver of my own research on it. What I expect of others.....I expect out of myself.

So let's see if this new member/seller hangs around more than a few days to contribute on other topics.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score

From the original post:
...please help me identify badge era, hardware, and how much someone would be willing to pay for it.
I guess everyone has their own standards and expectations for this forum, and that's fine. As an observer, I definitely learn a lot about the history of drums from "identify this" threads. Pretty sure I'm not the only one. Threads like this enrich the general knowledge base of the community, regardless of the poster's intent for the drum.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
In addition to the other weird things, The shell is 7 inches tall, not 6.5.
hmmmmmm......
I have one that is purported to be a 1940 (My birth year.) Also 7" deep. Ludwig standard. I paid about $300 a couple years ago.

rgeiger1217

Reaction score
Listen,
I will say one thing. I am not a jerk. Yes, I did consult the form for information about my drum, and yes, I did use the info provided to me to help sell it. And just to prove a point, I have removed the listing from eBay! Happy?
I have been drumming for 4 years now and I truly have loved every second of it. The last thing that I would want is for someone to feel as though I have robbed their information and experience from them only to sell a drum, as some of you mentioned most people do on the forum. I would like to become a member of these forums helping people like myself, so please don't scare people off by saying that they should not sell something. I did mention in the first message that I wanted to know how much they might cost.
Sorry again