Need help identifying Slingerland drums please

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I picked up a mix of Slingerland drums that someone was using as a set but they are of different eras.

I would like to understand better what they are and a reasonable value for each as I'm looking to sell/trade them. Maybe someone needs one to add to or complete a set. I know I'm in that situation with a few projects.

They are not perfect but all of the drums are in round, no noticed cracks, and no ring separation. They will clean up nicely.

To be able to better keep the drums separate to reduce potential confusion on my part I'll do a different post for each drum.

Thanks,
Wes

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Bass drum.
22" in what looks like Black Diamond Pearl to me.

Has re-rings.
Clear interior.
Has A Rogers cymbal/floor tom mount on top.
Missing a spur.
Wrap is tight.

Attachments

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
The bass drum is from 1970-72, and appears to have original black diamond pearl wrap. With no badge and a painted interior, the 13 is hard to pinpoint, but it's definitely post-1970. The 15" 3-ply was made between 1973 and 1986, and the 15" 5-ply is from 1986. Dating is based on the dating guide posted here:

Both 15's could be a re-wraps, though I'd lean more towards the 5-ply being the most likely of two, given that wrap doesn't meet the bearing edge like it does on the other drums. I also don't think the Set-O-Matic brackets on the 3-ply 15 were factory-installed, as it should be biased towards the side with the muffler (like on the other 15), so it's possible that it was originally a parade drum.

Value individually would be about $100+ for the 22" bass drum, and between $50 and $75 each for the toms, or perhaps $300 for the whole lot. Keep in mind that Slingerland 13" toms and 22" bass drums are fairly common, and while the SKB on the 13 and the BDP on the bass drum are a plus, the extra holes and the missing hoop inlay on the bass drum knock the price down considerably, as does the black interior on 13; moreover, 15" drums aren't particularly valuable, especially ones with tom brackets installed, as most convert them to small floor toms and un-drilled shells.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
The bass drum is from 1970-72, and appears to have original black diamond pearl wrap. With no badge and a painted interior, the 13 is hard to pinpoint, but it's definitely post-1970. The 15" 3-ply was made between 1973 and 1986, and the 15" 5-ply is from 1986. Dating is based on the dating guide posted here:

Both 15's could be a re-wraps, though I'd lean more towards the 5-ply being the most likely of two, given that wrap doesn't meet the bearing edge like it does on the other drums. I also don't think the Set-O-Matic brackets on the 3-ply 15 were factory-installed, as it should be biased towards the side with the muffler (like on the other 15), so it's possible that it was originally a parade drum.

Value individually would be about $100+ for the 22" bass drum, and between $50 and $75 each for the toms, or perhaps $300 for the whole lot. Keep in mind that Slingerland 13" toms and 22" bass drums are fairly common, and while the SKB on the 13 and the BDP on the bass drum are a plus, the extra holes and the missing hoop inlay on the bass drum knock the price down considerably, as does the black interior on 13; moreover, 15" drums aren't particularly valuable, especially ones with tom brackets installed, as most convert them to small floor toms and un-drilled shells.

Thank you franke! I appreciate the information.

I'll probably offer them up in the swap section of this forum but I'm guessing since they are not perfect and shipping costs keep going up I might have better luck posting them locally.

Latest posts