header.nohb.html

Need help IDing a Gretsch Kit

jmetatual

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I think that’s a strike against the kit being born with it, huh?
Not necessarily. While an aluminum set-0-matic would be more compelling, the different scenarios proposed by squidart are entirely possible.

Last edited:

steambent

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been collecting old American drums for over 40 years. Kept most and sold a few. I have yet to see a set with Rogers mounts and legs on them other than a Rogers set. I have seen Gretsch sets with that Slingerland mount and not that it is a bad mount but I would not choose it as my mount. As far as Gretsch sets with non Gretsch mounts I know in the 80s Columbus Pro Percussion never sold a set with Gretsch mounts, Yamaha and Tama mounts only. I ordered and obviously then purchased a new Gretsch set in the 80s from another dealer with standard Gretsch Tech-ware hardware and I absolutely have had no problems and played them out a ton. I think the Gretsch phobia about Techware was a carry over from the wacky 70s tom mounts. Now I have 3 sets with that wacky tom mount stuff and have had no problems with them even BUT I never played them much like I did the 80s set with Techware hardware. Ok I am done.

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been collecting old American drums for over 40 years. Kept most and sold a few. I have yet to see a set with Rogers mounts and legs on them other than a Rogers set. I have seen Gretsch sets with that Slingerland mount and not that it is a bad mount but I would not choose it as my mount. As far as Gretsch sets with non Gretsch mounts I know in the 80s Columbus Pro Percussion never sold a set with Gretsch mounts, Yamaha and Tama mounts only. I ordered and obviously then purchased a new Gretsch set in the 80s from another dealer with standard Gretsch Tech-ware hardware and I absolutely have had no problems and played them out a ton. I think the Gretsch phobia about Techware was a carry over from the wacky 70s tom mounts. Now I have 3 sets with that wacky tom mount stuff and have had no problems with them even BUT I never played them much like I did the 80s set with Techware hardware. Ok I am
It was pretty common…I know that member Carrington had a set with Rogers mounts that were original to the kit and there are lots out there with Rogers mounts.

Attachments

• 19BED2D5-21E0-4101-A482-620292A722CD.jpeg
    19BED2D5-21E0-4101-A482-620292A722CD.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DE2B59EC-64CE-470C-96CD-8550B348F36D.jpeg
    DE2B59EC-64CE-470C-96CD-8550B348F36D.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 0428104F-E5A8-450A-8A5C-12221DED839A.jpeg
    0428104F-E5A8-450A-8A5C-12221DED839A.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 30
  • CA28D4EF-1284-46B5-AD54-F13A281F6B66.jpeg
    CA28D4EF-1284-46B5-AD54-F13A281F6B66.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 37

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If there are no extra holes, the Slingerland mount is a definite PLUS. No one wanted Gretsch hardware of that era. This is exactly what drummers and dealers would do.

And yes, A Rogers Swivo would have been a Double PLUS.

Proceed.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Is there anything unorthodox about the mount being closer to the batter head of the BD? If this was a 3rd party install, was that a customer decision? Feel like I see more tom arm installs center of the shell or even closer to reso side.

Last edited:

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is there anything unorthodox about the mount being closer to the batter head of the BD? If this was a 3rd party install, was that a customer decision? Feel like I see more tom arm installs center of the shell or even closer to reso side.
Nope. That was the preferred placement for the Slingerland mount.

Attachments

• 566B7EEA-92A5-4C21-9773-3A2ECD789D55.jpeg
    566B7EEA-92A5-4C21-9773-3A2ECD789D55.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 24

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's where the Slingerland factory installed base plates for single set-o-matics. One would assume anyone in the know would do the same.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Last question and sorry to be a pest with this - are these period correct floor tom legs? Were they still straight in 1969 or did they have a bend by that time? Thanks for the continued insight on this.

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last question and sorry to be a pest with this - are these period correct floor tom legs? Were they still straight in 1969 or did they have a bend by that time? Thanks for the continued insight on this.
They would’ve been the “straight” Gretsch legs. Tiny bend at the end and rattling like hell against those die cast hoops! Yes, get ready for all the excitement that is “Gretsch leg rattle”.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
That's a great looking set. I almost think the finish looks too good. I could certainly be wrong but if that finish is the original stain, it was very well taken care of. I also wonder what the heck that giant mount is where a ride cymbal would go. That's a bit of a bummer IMO. You may be able to mention the unoriginal mounts to lower the price a little. It is likely though that at least the Slingerland mount is original to the set. If these were mine, I would just use the tom in a snare stand like Charlie Watts anyway. My set is a 22,12,13,16 but I only use the set with the 22,12 and 16. Good luck!

Attachments

• Gretsch SSB.jpg
    Gretsch SSB.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 14

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
That's a great looking set. I almost think the finish looks too good. I could certainly be wrong but if that finish is the original stain, it was very well taken care of. I also wonder what the heck that giant mount is where a ride cymbal would go. That's a bit of a bummer IMO. You may be able to mention the unoriginal mounts to lower the price a little. It is likely though that at least the Slingerland mount is original to the set. If these were mine, I would just use the tom in a snare stand like Charlie Watts anyway. My set is a 22,12,13,16 but I only use the set with the 22,12 and 16. Good luck!
Yeah, it's almost too perfect, right? The photo quality isnt great but it does seem to have that patina that stained finishes of a similar vintage like my one-owner, born together Slingerland kit (pic attached) that I believe is also 1969. Honestly, I dont mind the bad photos because it suggests the owner is perhaps an old timer which would track with the suggested provenance.

It's hard to tell but I think that other bass drum mount is the classic cymbal stand one but I would probably use it for a cowbell or something. If I were to get this I would remove the Slingerland mount, fill the 4 holes with small dowels with as class a stain I could manage and mount the tom off my left cymbal stand. Not a huge fan of rack toms in snare stands as they can mute the drum (although there are several neat fixes for this) and have a little bit less maneuverability but the look is classic. Then again, in my experience when you starting taking stuff apart they do lose a little something so im hesitant.

Your kit looks killer and the straight stands with the rack tom on snare stand are very classy!

Attachments

• IMG_3713.jpeg
    IMG_3713.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 21