Need Help Locating Screw for Shelly Manne Muffler

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have 1958 Shelly Manne that is in all original condition except I am missing a correct screw for the muffler..
It has 2 outside slotted screws and I attached the correct one that I am seeking the mate for.
Any help would be appreciated as to where I can get my hands on one.

Attachments

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like a standard round head screw? Any hardware store should be able to help.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe the screw is an 8-32 x 1/2". While you can find these at any hardware store, they'll most likely be zinc coated. When I do restorations, I go down to my local King Bolt for chrome plated screws. They do cost quite a bit more, though! As an alternative, you can go with stainless steel. First, you need to find the thread size. Just take the screw to your local hardware store and they'll have a gauge to determine this.

-Mark

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe the screw is an 8-32 x 1/2". While you can find these at any hardware store, they'll most likely be zinc coated. When I do restorations, I go down to my local King Bolt for chrome plated screws. They do cost quite a bit more, though! As an alternative, you can go with stainless steel. First, you need to find the thread size. Just take the screw to your local hardware store and they'll have a gauge to determine this.

-Mark
Hi Mark,
I went to a specialty thread shop and was able to find the right size slotted screw EXCEPT that the head is larger than the original from 1958 has a smaller head.
I was trying to find an exact match.. my other alternative is to use two of the new ones (which will match but not be original)

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Mark,
I went to a specialty thread shop and was able to find the right size slotted screw EXCEPT that the head is larger than the original from 1958 has a smaller head.
I was trying to find an exact match.. my other alternative is to use two of the new ones (which will match but not be original)
Hi Ken,

As you noted, you may never find an exact match, so, yes, your best option is to purchase two of them.

-Mark

Latest posts