Need Help - Ludwig Throw Off ID?

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never noticed that these Ludwig throw offs were different. I‘ve bought three different Ludwig metal snare drums this year. I thought all three drums had the new Ludwig Atlas P88AC throw offs, but one of them is not like the other. I need help identifying what the oddball throw off is…

This is the Ludwig P88 Atlas throw off. Correct?

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
Is this the same Atlas throw off? Just an older version? Or is this a different throw off completely? Same hole spacing as the P88?

Thanks!

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the lower is the "revised" P85 which was replaced by the P88. I believe the spacing is the same.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They're two different throws but have the same spacing. The one with the Ludwig script is the P88AC. The second one with the Keystone is the Atlas P85 and it came out first, in 2015.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, aside from being a huge P83/P85 fan, I don't like the 2nd one (Atlas P85) because the knob is skinny and hard to turn. The spikes going into your fingers is a horrible design. That is why the newer ones have a thicker knob....

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FWIW, aside from being a huge P83/P85 fan, I don't like the 2nd one (Atlas P85) because the knob is skinny and hard to turn. The spikes going into your fingers is a horrible design. That is why the newer ones have a thicker knob....
Yes, that skinny knob on the P85AC can hurt your fingers! However, the other really important flaw was that it was near impossible to turn the knob with the strainer in the "on" position! The P88AC is an all-around excellent throwoff-strainer!

-Mark

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that skinny knob on the P85AC can hurt your fingers! However, the other really important flaw was that it was near impossible to turn the knob with the strainer in the "on" position! The P88AC is an all-around excellent throwoff-strainer!

-Mark
Exactly! When the snares are one, good luck turning that sharp knob!

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

-Mark
It's not that it's just hard to turn -- it's mechanically locked into place. I understand that they wanted to keep it from slipping when you were playing it, but this was a bridge too far. The new version with the detents is perfect.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
As I understood it there were two versions of the same model . They had to revise it due to the issue outlined above where you couldn't adjust it while it was engaged.

The Inde is really the final culmination of this design, designed by the same guy who went out on his own.

Last edited: