Need help making a dicision on a kit

Randyvampire

Reaction score
Please guide me, wise drummers.

I am currently playing some 70's Gretsch's [22/13/16] and I love them. I got a great deal on them, I'll keep them forever.

They're huge though...

So, I'm looking for a set of smaller sizes like 18 or 20, 12/14 but I can't decide on a few things:

Vintage or Modern
Value or Quality

My budget is all in $2000 shipped. Why $2000? It's the most I've ever spent on an instrument and I'm a steadfast believer in diminishing returns.

I'd really love to spend under $1000 and find a 4pc kit, either snare or extra tom. Preferably w/ snare drum.

This seems like the place to ask these kind of questions and I sincerely appreciate any advice.

Please guide me, wise drummers.

UPDATE:
Haha thanks all! Wow, to save some time I won’t reply to everybody but to answer a few questions I’ll just say that I’m heavily leaning towards a “new” or modern kit because of my experiences with vintage. Definitely want to avoid budget kits because I have crossed paths with a few and they never worked out. The hardware truly was awful on catalinas and breakbeats.
The Gretsch drums I have definitely show their age but they sound massive, which is amazing, but I’m interested in having bop sizes for sure. The idea of solely buying a bass drum is alright but, I figure why not get another kit because I love drums and need more drums right? I do like the idea of Canopus’ Yaiba, I too have heard wonderful things.

Those Ludwig’s look fantastic as well and fit the budget.

All in all, I think I know what to do now...buy nice new’ish drums. You’ve convinced me (barely needed convincing) that’s the way to go.

I’ll stew and wait for the perfect kit, no need to jump the gun on the decision but as soon as I do I will be back to share! Thanks again, really appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd go modern. And since you already have a gretsch and are familiar with their quality and sound I'd stay with them. And I think this little gem from sweetwater is worth your consideration. Plus it's under your budget so bonus for you.

I agree about going modern. If you were to stay with Gretsch, though, I’d pay a little bit more and get some Renowns.

Another option you might want to check out is the Canopus Yaiba Bop. I’ve got a set. They’re fantastic.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can find some really awesome used drums for 2k. What are you most passionate about? Modern or vintage. Follow your gut. Look for a while maybe miss a few deals but eventually you will realize what really turns your crank. Then buy that.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree about going modern. If you were to stay with Gretsch, though, I’d pay a little bit more and get some Renowns.

Another option you might want to check out is the Canopus Yaiba Bop. I’ve got a set. They’re fantastic.
There’s a 4-piece set of Yaibas on Guitar Center Used right now for like $1,400. There might be someone selling a kit on here, as well. I’ve seen one fairly recently.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Or if you’re in L.A., buy these:

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maxwell has a nice Gretsch snare could go with that Ludwig kit

also INDe drum lab has some great stuff at great prices. Talk to Josh and see what he can put together. The Revette kit available at revival drum shop in Portland is very cool

Tdipaul

Reaction score
With $2k to spend can go one or to levels up from the Catalina's and the like. I've had two Cats and the hoops, rods and lugs are cheap. They look fantastic though.

Thoughts...

1. Canopus Bop Kit 12/14/18 ($1700 retail, plus a snare). Have read so many great things about these!

2. Tama SLP Vintage Hickory 12/14/18 ($1600 @ full retail, plus $400 for the matching snare). Can probably find these discounted somewhere.

3. Had a 14/12/14/20 DW Frequent Flyer kit ($1350) like this and it was great, but sold it for a rare Lacebark Pine Tama B/B bop kit I just HAD to have...

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went off the beaten path a bit and went with a Pork Pie USA bop kit and I think it’s really something. The quality and craftsmanship is first rate throughout, I mean perfect, and the finishes are some of the nicest out there, I think anyway. Bill Detamore, the owner, is just a great guy and can answer all your questions and help guide you through things.

Figure right around $1500 USA made.

Attachments

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love all these suggestions! When I was 15 (1968) the options would have been mostly Ludwig/Rogers/Gretsch/Slingerland/left-over NOS Leedy + "what sizes d'ya want? What color? No, I don't know the kind of wood or number of plies. And Oyster Black Pearl is an 8 month backorder."

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You gotta decide on a price first. I'm a junkie so I get the best I can afford. but lots of factors here, depending on how fussy you are. My needs might be entirely different than yours but I like the Canopus personally.

Color
New/used
Mounting hardware
Spurs
Hoops

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out this cool small Ludwig kit at Philadelphia Drum Center...no snare, though

Those look beautiful! Should be no problem finding a complimentary snare for considerably less than $700.

cdrummer

Reaction score
Maxwell has a nice Gretsch snare could go with that Ludwig kit

also INDe drum lab has some great stuff at great prices. Talk to Josh and see what he can put together. The Revette kit available at revival drum shop in Portland is very cool

Another thumbs up for INDe here, Josh is a great guy to work with and you are supporting a small business.

The Revette does look sweet as well, though!

2and4

Reaction score
Any way you go, modern or vintage, used you get much more drum for the dollar. Keep an eye on ebay, reverb, here, etc and you'll find what you want for abetter price.