Need Help memorializing my dad

okcdrummer40

Reaction score
Hello all,

So my father passed away 5 days ago, and he had been a drummer since he was a child. He played a 1960s Rogers Blue Onyx kit. He passed it down to me and I played it for years. I gave it back to him cause I know he missed it and unfortunately years ago he gave it to my brother and my brother sold the kit. So since he passed I wanted to find another kit and bring it to his ceremony and make it a center piece for my home to honor him. I found this kit online, and purchased it. However after looking at it I noticed all the metal Rogers logos were missing. So I wanted to come on here and get some advice if I should cancel the order, cause I'm a little concerned. The link is to the drums I found.

Thanks all!

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
that's some annoying pictures; I can't shake the zoom circle thing; no badges? still look ok however not a rogere exspert.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First, condolences on the passing of your father. I know from experience about losing parents.

As to those Rogers drums, I have a feeling that the badges are all there. It's just that there are no pictures showing the panels where the badges would be attached. Just seems like whoever took the pictures wasn't concerned with showing badges.

It really looks like a great kit and a good way to honor your dad. Don't cancel the order. I really think all the badges are intact.

My avatar is my 1966 Rogers Headliner kit. I played it at my parents 60th anniversary. In fact, the picture was taken at the anniversary party! That kit is very special to me.

-Mark

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
The small tom on the left is a Tower and seems to be missing the upper tension rods. It may not have been part of the original set. The other drums look like Holidays.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would look into printing your favorite photo of him on a reso head! How cool would that be! Would be mindblowing if his name was Roger... just take the "S" off the end!

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would look into printing your favorite photo of him on a reso head! How cool would that be! Would be mindblowing if his name was Roger... just take the "S" off the end!
I can’t recommend DrumArt enough to do this for you. It’ll probably be a more reasonably priced option.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The small tom on the left is a Tower and seems to be missing the upper tension rods. It may not have been part of the original set. The other drums look like Holidays.
I noticed that, too, and should have commented on it. There was probably a Swivo hex cymbal arm here. The center-lug tom was probably added later. In fact, I notice that the single Swivo arm is a newer version from the original on the other side. Still, a cool kit!

-Mark

okcdrummer40

Reaction score
Hey all,

I greatly appreciate all your ideas and feedback as this has been incredibly hard for me and I just want to do right by him. That being said there were no external Rogers logos on the kit, which for me kind of negates the point. Another big part of me getting the kit was for my mom to enjoy it as well, and when she didn't see the logos it made me really disconnect from the set. So I did cancel.

However that being said it has opened my eyes to memorialize him even more I'm going to take my current kit get it rewrapped in that holiday blue onyx, redo the hardware, put Rogers logos on my kit, and in an in memory of on the top of the inside drum head. At the end of the day the kit I was buying wasn't my dad's that one is long gone, but this kit I will have made will help me memorialize his spirit all the more!

Thank you so much again
Kyle

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Condolences on your loss. It is heartwarming that you want him to be remembered in a way that was so unique to him, and I hope the project is successful to that end. Prayers for peace to you and your family.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very sorry for your loss.

I would find a tom and I do like the idea about having a pic of your dad (preferably playing) printed onto the head.....this way you can put it up on a shelf in your house or drum room and it will be a cool vintage piece, blue to remind you of the kit, and honor your dad. Not sure if a whole kit is needed but I'm not trying to discourage you from buying a full kit either......some of us here have serious G.A.S.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey all,

I greatly appreciate all your ideas and feedback as this has been incredibly hard for me and I just want to do right by him. That being said there were no external Rogers logos on the kit, which for me kind of negates the point. Another big part of me getting the kit was for my mom to enjoy it as well, and when she didn't see the logos it made me really disconnect from the set. So I did cancel.

However that being said it has opened my eyes to memorialize him even more I'm going to take my current kit get it rewrapped in that holiday blue onyx, redo the hardware, put Rogers logos on my kit, and in an in memory of on the top of the inside drum head. At the end of the day the kit I was buying wasn't my dad's that one is long gone, but this kit I will have made will help me memorialize his spirit all the more!

Thank you so much again
Kyle
Finding Rogers logos and hardware and having a set rewrapped in blue onyx may end up costing nearly as much as having a real Rogers set. I think you should keep your eyes peeled for an original. Blue onyx was a very common finish... there are a bunch out there.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
My condolences to you and your family. Losing a parent is hard.

I love your idea for memorializing your Dad. I’m sure he will be smiling down on the drums you will have made in his honor.

Latest posts