Need Help on a potential Spam

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not sure on this one but my dad is 90 and on dialysis 3 times a week. If you know about dialysis it could affect some people’s memory. It has done so over the last 2 years and whatever potential start of dementia he may have had, is now getting worse. I have his Visa card hooked up to my Amazon Prime Account because I need to order him Nepro which is a non potassium supplement. That costs about $90 a case and at 2 cases every 6 weeks it mounts up. Anyway, long story short he complained to Amazon about a bill for this and they told them he was hacked. I explained to him that he wasn’t and then he remembers. Anyway last night he gets a call from Amazon and they tell him if he didn’t buy this,( he says he didn’t again!), they give him a number to call and a name at the FTC.? I call the guy and it is the Federal Trade Commission but the dude knows nothing about why his name was given out or why I would call him.? Does this sound like a spam? I suspect it is, but why the FTC?

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm unclear - did you actually see a charge for something that was never ordered? But I guess if the account was hacked someone could use the credit card on file and have it shipped elsewhere.

I get these strange calls from Amazon talking about a purchase that I made or something to that effect - total scam call, and not sure what they are after.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not sure on this one but my dad is 90 and on dialysis 3 times a week. If you know about dialysis it could affect some people’s memory. It has done so over the last 2 years and whatever potential start of dementia he may have had, is now getting worse. I have his Visa card hooked up to my Amazon Prime Account because I need to order him Nepro which is a non potassium supplement. That costs about $90 a case and at 2 cases every 6 weeks it mounts up. Anyway, long story short he complained to Amazon about a bill for this and they told them he was hacked. I explained to him that he wasn’t and then he remembers. Anyway last night he gets a call from Amazon and they tell him if he didn’t buy this,( he says he didn’t again!), they give him a number to call and a name at the FTC.? I call the guy and it is the Federal Trade Commission but the dude knows nothing about why his name was given out or why I would call him.? Does this sound like a spam? I suspect it is, but why the FTC?
Dialysis is horrible! Build up of potassium and phosphorus can impair cognition.

I don’t know what Amazon’s fraud/theft protocols are, but, the FTC does have a consumer protection division to report fraud and scams to. Maybe they gave your dad a bad contact.

jeffh

Reaction score
I don't think Amazon calls if there's a problem. I think they communicate by email.

Second, if you think someone might be using your (or his) credit card fraudulently, call the credit card issuer -- they should have a fraud prevention team and can tell you if there's any suspicious activity on the card. A retailer like Amazon can't tell you that.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm unclear - did you actually see a charge for something that was never ordered? But I guess if the account was hacked someone could use the credit card on file and have it shipped elsewhere.

I get these strange calls from Amazon talking about a purchase that I made or something to that effect - total scam call, and not sure what they are after.
No there was no charge that I did not authorize. But why is Amazon calling him then? I don’t get it.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think Amazon calls if there's a problem. I think they communicate by email.

Second, if you think someone might be using your (or his) credit card fraudulently, call the credit card issuer -- they should have a fraud prevention team and can tell you if there's any suspicious activity on the card. A retailer like Amazon can't tell you that.
I didn’t think they call either.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
Amazon doesn't call and it's likely the call was made to confirm that the phone number and identity are real so the scammer can put the scam into action. They probably do this because they encounter large amounts of fake phone numbers and identities that are meant to throw them off.

Don't fall for these low-life tricks!

I wish you the best outcome for your Dad and your family. Parents getting elderly is not the easiest thing to deal with.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I’m not giving out any info. But I do worry about my dad who is forgetful.