header.nohb.html

Need help trying to match a snare sound

billcosby_sweater

Reaction score
I heard this video of Greg Hutchinson with a Pearl Masterworks snare that is 30 plies of what seems to be maple. I am wanting to venture into wood snares again and really love the sound of his snare but don't want to spend the immense price tag of what his snare would cost. Anyone have any recommendations that would come close?

Here is the snare in question. You can hear it a lot at 37:15.

katulu

Reaction score

Medium tuning on this sounds very capable to replicate that sound. Of course, I don't know if the $1400 price tag is comparable to Hutch's snare or not.

billcosby_sweater

Reaction score

Less expensive option, and a great snare (I have the 8" and 5.5" versions).
I was really considering this snare. I have heard it sound different in different recordings though. Does it have a ring similar to that of Hutch's snare? I really like the sensitivity and crack of the Rosewood but in some recordings it sounds dry.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To my ear, the sound of Hutchinson's snare around 37:00 – 38:00 should be achievable with a wide variety of drums. The key is the way he's playing it at that moment, which is mostly rimshots with the stick tips close to the rims, and a light touch. Good, even tuning and no muffling will also help get there. Remember that in the final sound of a recording, many variables are involved, the drum itself being only one of them.

katulu

Reaction score
I was really considering this snare. I have heard it sound different in different recordings though. Does it have a ring similar to that of Hutch's snare? I really like the sensitivity and crack of the Rosewood but in some recordings it sounds dry.
Do you have an example of it "dry"? I've never heard it. If you check out Joe LaBarbera's "The One" it really shows off the sound I hear off the Gretsch Rosewoods.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard this video of Greg Hutchinson with a Pearl Masterworks snare that is 30 plies of what seems to be maple. I am wanting to venture into wood snares again and really love the sound of his snare but don't want to spend the immense price tag of what his snare would cost. Anyone have any recommendations that would come close?

Here is the snare in question. You can hear it a lot at 37:15.

The Masterworks snare is 20-ply maple and would cost you about $1,000. I’ll see if I can think of others with a similar sound profile at a lower price point.

Here you go, this one should give you the same sound and crack as the one in the video you posted - Canopus “The Maple”

Last edited:

DB-66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great concert and drum sound! The construction of the Pearl and its sound lead me to think you need something loud, sensitive and open. A high density wood like rosewood or spotted gum would work, but I’d also recommend the same depth as what he’s using to compensate for the batter tension it seems to have. A nice stave drum may also get you into this territory.

I’ve never played a thick ply snare before and wouldn’t think of one as a jazz trio drum. But Hutch has schooled me yet again.

Last edited:

billcosby_sweater

Reaction score
To my ear, the sound of Hutchinson's snare around 37:00 – 38:00 should be achievable with a wide variety of drums. The key is the way he's playing it at that moment, which is mostly rimshots with the stick tips close to the rims, and a light touch. Good, even tuning and no muffling will also help get there. Remember that in the final sound of a recording, many variables are involved, the drum itself being only one of them.
Undoubtedly those play a role. I do hear a certain sensitivity and a liveliness similar to that of a metal drum though, that is what I am more trying to find.
Great concert and drum sound! The construction of the Pearl and its sound lead me to think you need something loud, sensitive and open. A high density wood like rosewood or spotted gum would work, but I’d also recommend the same depth as what he’s using to compensate for the batter tension it seems to have. A nice stave drum may also get you into this territory.

I’ve never played a thick ply snare before and wouldn’t think of one as a jazz trio drum. But Hutch has schooled me yet again.
I was thinking the same thing. Heavy and thick snare drums don't exactly scream swing but it sounds great there.

Latest posts