Need help understanding old drum terms

kinglerch

Reaction score
I am transcribing an old interview and there are some drum models/brands and terms that are unfamiliar to me. This is the first section I need help with, though there may be others as I go through. Does anyone know what model drum sticks he's talking about?

I hear "I was using lighter ones. I don't know if you have English sticks but [something] Cs...I was using [something] Cs. Ginger Baker's kind of thing. Pretty light wood, in fact. They're thick but they're light wood."

Interview Segment

Thanks for the help!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually he says Hayman ( a drum company) model C (drumsticks)
at first before listening thought
Premier C

Last edited:

kinglerch

Reaction score
When I listen to the audio, it sounds like Handum Cs or Hangdum Cs or maybe Handgun Cs? It doesn't sound like one I recognize like Premier but I'm not a drummer.

kinglerch

Reaction score
Here's the next one, about snare drums. It's very difficult to hear:

Fibes Drum

"I've got 3 in fact. I've got the Premier one, which I got with the kit. And I got Fibes' drum....[something]" maybe some model of Fibes?

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is difficult to hear, but I believe he might be saying "perspex." Fibes was known for making fiberglass and acrylic drum shells. Fibes might have called their shells acrylic, but perspex could be another way of describing the hard clear plastic. My transcription for that last bit would be "a perspex one."

Attached is an image of the type of snare drum he could be referring to.

Attachments

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's it ^^ perspex
yeah.. he gets only to describing 2..
before clip cuts out

Last edited:

kinglerch

Reaction score
It's Phil Collins, btw. With his English accent, that certainly seems to fit, thanks!

Note: I actually heard it as "Per Specs" like specifications, but it seemed too odd. Perspex fits and makes more sense :)

Last edited:

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's Phil Collins, btw. With his English accent, that certainly seems to fit, thanks!
Very cool! Do you know what year the interview is from? I know he had a Camco snare drum in the 70s as well. I wonder if that might be the third one he refers to (but doesn't list).

kinglerch

Reaction score
Very cool! Do you know what year the interview is from? I know he had a Camco snare drum in the 70s as well. I wonder if that might be the third one he refers to (but doesn't list).
November 26, '74