Need help with 12x7 tom

Louis mate

Reaction score
I just bought starclassic b/b in hyper drive sizes and while I do love the sound of the drums, The 12x7 tom is a little bit of a pain to sound good. It just sounds so weak to me.

I have played a 14x10 rack my whole life and I wanted something with more punch and attack but I think I went to extreme with it. I Think I should have gotten a kit with a 12x9 instead. Anywho, Any head recommendations or tuning advice to make it sound more “full bodied?” It sounds so dead and lifeless to me. The new walnut/birch performer has the 10x8 and 12x9, wish I had those sizes I think!

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is no inherent reason for a 12x7 tom to sound bad if the drum has good edges and heads and is being tuned well. The issue could literally be in your head as auditory perception can be influenced by many factors.

I owned a Sonor SQ2 12x7 tom that sounded great with little effort needed to tune it. Admittedly, I was put off by the appearance of the drum - visually it just didn't fit my previously established perception for the appearance of a 12" tom. Somehow, I kept finding myself looking for additional fault with the drum - sonically. It's as if I needed that additional fault to justify replacing it. In reality, it sounded as good or better as any 12x8 I had at the time.

Currently, both of my shell banks have 12x7.5 toms that sound as good as I could ever want. Somehow that extra .5 inches of depth just makes the drum more visually satisfying for me with relatively little effect on set-up.

I'm not saying there is no difference in sound between a 12x7 and 12x9 tom. There may be more of difference in feel than sound, but ultimately in a blind-test you would likely be surprised by the results.

You can look for reasons to be dissatisfied with your gear or choose to find reasons to love it. It's not always that easy, but you get the idea. Take this from a guy who spent a lot of dough and time chasing perfection while being spurred by continual dissatisfaction - it took me years to learn the lesson. The sooner you get off that kick (if you're even on it), the more you can enjoy what you have and pursue developing as a musician. "Wanting to want" and continual dissatisfaction are mere distractions from doing that.

Last edited:

Louis mate

Reaction score
There is no inherent reason for a 12x7 tom to sound bad if the drum has good edges and heads and is being tuned well. The issue could literally be in your head as auditory perception can be influenced by many factors.

I owned a Sonor SQ2 12x7 tom that sounded great with little effort needed to tune it. Admittedly, I was put off by the appearance of the drum - visually it just didn't fit my previously established perception for the appearance of a 12" tom. Somehow, I kept finding myself looking for additional fault with the drum - sonically. It's as if I needed that additional fault to justify replacing it. In reality, it sounded as good or better as any 12x8 I had at the time.

Currently, both of my shell banks have 12x7.5 toms that sound as good as I could ever want. Somehow that extra .5 inches of depth just makes the drum more visually satisfying for me with relatively little effect on set-up.

I'm not saying there is no difference in sound between a 12x7 and 12x9 tom. There may be more of difference in feel than sound, but ultimately in a blind-test you would likely be surprised by the results.

You can look for reasons to be dissatisfied with your gear or choose to find reasons to love it. It's not always that easy, but you get the idea. Take this from a guy who spent a lot of dough and time chasing perfection while being spurred by continual dissatisfaction - it took me years to learn the lesson. The sooner you get off that kick (if you're even on it), the more you can enjoy what you have and pursue developing as a musician. "Wanting to want" and continual dissatisfaction are mere distractions from doing that.
Thanks for your comment I value your opinion sir but it has nothing to do with appearance for me. I like the look of shallow toms. It just lacks the full bodied sound I want. This is just speaking from behind a kit. I’m sure recorded or mic’d Up would sound great But from behind the kit it sounds somewhat dead and uninspiring to play. The 10 x 6.5 however sounds perfect. If you do the math, a 12x8.5 would match the 10 in equal diameter to depth ratio and I think would get me more the sound I want. Anywho, any tuning or head suggestions to give it more body? From my reading I was thinking clear emperors and low tuning would get me there but not sure.

mpungercar

Reaction score
You don't mention how it's tuned currently. Do you have both heads pitched the same or is one head pitched higher than the other? How are your other toms tuned? Personally I would start with both heads pitched the same and see how it sounds. Then I would adjust the top head up or down until I got a sound I liked.

Louis mate

Reaction score
You don't mention how it's tuned currently. Do you have both heads pitched the same or is one head pitched higher than the other? How are your other toms tuned? Personally I would start with both heads pitched the same and see how it sounds. Then I would adjust the top head up or down until I got a sound I liked.
Agreed That’s basically what I’m doing right now. Just finding it hard to find the sweet spot in the drum. I have my toms set to mediumish tuning. The 14 and 10 sound amazing

Louis mate

Reaction score
Which heads do you have on the drum now?

GeeDeeEmm
I was using some coated Remo vintage emperors. Not really a fan of those heads. I preferred the sound of the stock heads to those to be honest. I actually put the stock ec2 back on and got way better tone out of the drum to be honest. I’m gonna be getting clear emperors this week

Louis mate

Reaction score
Are you looking- with the 7x12-- a Flat or Sharp sound?
I just want it to sound a little more full bodied than it does currently. It has tons of attack and I love that but i want a litttle more beef out of it

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just want it to sound a little more full bodied than it does currently. It has tons of attack and I love that but i want a litttle more beef out of it
I don't think you're going to get what you're looking for out of that tom. Personally, I'd find the "sweet spot" of that particular tom and just let it bump. I'll bet you are trying to get a tone that you are more familiar with from a drum that can't do it because of its size. Twelve-inchers in any depth have always been my favorite sizes, but they will not sound like your old fourteen. You have a nice kit, but you're going to learn to enjoy its strong points rather than seek the sound in your head. You'll learn to love that tom if you let it do its thing.

(Caveat: when I ordered my Recording Custom kit, I initially bought the typical 12, 13 tom combo. The 13" tom was simply dead. I tried every head combo available at that time, but could not make it sing. And I'm a good tuner. Eventually, I got rid of the 13 and replaced it with a 10" and that combo turned out to be a match made in heaven. So, it does happen.)

GeeDeeEmm

Louis mate

Reaction score
I don't think you're going to get what you're looking for out of that tom. Personally, I'd find the "sweet spot" of that particular tom and just let it bump. I'll bet you are trying to get a tone that you are more familiar with from a drum that can't do it because of its size. Twelve-inchers in any depth have always been my favorite sizes, but they will not sound like your old fourteen. You have a nice kit, but you're going to learn to enjoy its strong points rather than seek the sound in your head. You'll learn to love that tom if you let it do its thing.

(Caveat: when I ordered my Recording Custom kit, I initially bought the typical 12, 13 tom combo. The 13" tom was simply dead. I tried every head combo available at that time, but could not make it sing. And I'm a good tuner. Eventually, I got rid of the 13 and replaced it with a 10" and that combo turned out to be a match made in heaven. So, it does happen.)

GeeDeeEmm
That’s how I feel about my 10 also. They’re so easy to tune and make sound good. The 14 floor tom is also super great. My ears are definitely use to the 14, but there are lots of reasons I didn’t like it as a rack tom which is why I went to the 12. I’m thinking a 12x9 would give me almost exactly what I want. I just want a little more sustain and body.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, you need to be on the lookout for a Tama Starclassic B/B 9X12 tom in your finish, then. And you are probably exactly right to do so. Good luck on your search, and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

GeeDeeEmm

Louis mate

Reaction score
Well, you need to be on the lookout for a Tama Starclassic B/B 9X12 tom in your finish, then. And you are probably exactly right to do so. Good luck on your search, and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

GeeDeeEmm
Yessir ! Thanks for the help

Latest posts