Need help with my Leedy Broadway.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would definitely not sand the inside. Clean well with a bit of soap and water, let dry thoroughly and finish with Howard’s Feed n Wax. Has orange oil in it and will take care of the smell... I think.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Agree, but I have found some anomalies. Even late 20's Leedy snares were typically painted interior with wraps, but I have two wrapped ones that are natural inside from then. I also have a WMP Broadway 1941 with this same badge that is natural maple interior.

This drum should be right before WWII/1941 if memory serves correct based on this badge variation.
Thanks for giving an aprox date, i really apreciate it.
If you don't mind me asking, does your wmp snare from ca the same timeframe also have a stamp on the inside indicating the finish?

To all the others that have replied:
Thank you guys. It looks like the concensus here is to leave the interior alone and only do some carefull cleaning to try to get rid of the smell.
I Will do so and let you guys know how it went.
Thanks

ToBBa

Reaction score
So i have now cleaned the inside with a soap solution. Pine-sol is not available here in Norway so i used a similar Norwegian product.
Had to go over it 3 times before it was free from any dirt.
Still smells a little but not noticeable if you don't stick your head into the shell.

Also New wrap is on, now i only have to do som light touch up on the edges to get it all straight and smooth.
I'm also playing with the idea to add som sort of full dress Diamonds to it. I love the full dress designs.
I know it's not original to the drum but since this is a player grade drum with re-wrap and all i don't see any harm in it.

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So i have now cleaned the inside with a soap solution. Pine-sol is not available here in Norway so i used a similar Norwegian product.
Had to go over it 3 times before it was free from any dirt.
Still smells a little but not noticeable if you don't stick your head into the shell.

Also New wrap is on, now i only have to do som light touch up on the edges to get it all straight and smooth.
I'm also playing with the idea to add som sort of full dress Diamonds to it. I love the full dress designs.
I know it's not original to the drum but since this is a player grade drum with re-wrap and all i don't see any harm in it.

Wow! It looks great so far. Nice work. Is the smell gone?

Where did you get that cool rolling stand thingy? What is it?

ToBBa

Reaction score
No harm at all with trying something different with the rewrap.
Yeah, and i mean it's not like it's all fantasy. This pattern of full dress is in the 41 leedy catalog so it's not entirely un-realistic
Even tho i don't think i have ever seen a leedy with Beavertails with full dress, it's mostly the earlier Broadway with the x lug and earlier snares.

Any one have a pic if a Beavertail Broadway with full dress?

Screenshot_20200704_082333.jpg

Wow! It looks great so far. Nice work. Is the smell gone?

Where did you get that cool rolling stand thingy? What is it?
Thanks!
Yes the smell is nearly gone, you have to get real close to still smell some thing.

The rollers are Just two regular rollers from a roller stand that is bolted to a piece of wood that us bolted to my work bench.
Very neat stand for applying wood dye, Oil, varnishes and such.

Latest posts