header.nohb.html

Need help with weak "Kick Trigger" response on Yamaha EAD10

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just picked up a Yamaha EAD10 which I think will be a lot of fun for practicing at home. I set it up over the weekend but am having some difficulty with the Kick Trigger response. I've followed the directions to be sure I have correctly attached the mic unit to bass drum hoop and the A & B cables to their correct inputs on the module. I've also used the "Auto" trigger to set the sensitivity of the mic and kick trigger but no matter how hard I hit the bass drum, I don't hear the triggered sample (I only get the acoustic sound from the mic). I can hear the samples when I activate them by pressing a button on the module, and if I tap the kick trigger (located in the unit attached to the bass drum hoop) I also hear the sample from the module, so it seems that both the mic unit and module are working fine. My guess is that it's a sensitivity issue that I need to adjust in the module. Before I go monkeying with the settings, I thought I would seek advice from those who already have the unit and perhaps encountered a similar issue. What kick trigger value (number) are most of you setting the module to in order to get a triggered sound from the module? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts.

Hit MENU, then select Pad Type (I may have some headings wrong as I'm going from memory here, but they should be close). Go through the options and you should find a sensitivity setting (1-13). I set mine to 13. Then there is also a Curve setting and you can try a few of those presets to find one that responds to your playing.

Also, try hitting the Mic Icon button from the Home Screen. You can toggle through using the up/down arrow buttons and set the balance between the mics and the trigger. There will be meters that show the levels of the mic and the trigger when you hit the bass drum. There will always be some mic response from the bass drum just like you might get using overheads, but the low end BEEF will come from the trigger. Also, the Trigger knob with the lights around it will give you more trigger.

Lastly, check your BD hoop and make sure there isn't an indentation on the underside where the trigger attaches. They work best on flat hoops but they come with peel and stick pads to fill in if your hoop has an indentation on either side (like you might see for a wrap inlay, as an example). FYI, I used mine on back to back gigs this weekend with great results after speaking to a Yamaha rep last week and dialing in the trigger. I had several people say the sound was amazing out front, including one drumming industry pro who has heard the band several times and is not shy about offering criticism when appropriate.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate getting feedback from an experienced user. My bass hoop (Ludwig Super Classic) does have an inlay for the wrapped finish. I thought about using one of the pads that comes with the EAD10 but it seems to be much thicker than the recession in the hoop used to accommodate the inlay. I thought this might be problematic but maybe I should give it a try. The manual indicates that these pads are for metal hoops but it did cross my mind that a hoop with an inlay might not be ideal in terms of making contact with the trigger.

xsabers

Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate getting feedback from an experienced user. My bass hoop (Ludwig Super Classic) does have an inlay for the wrapped finish. I thought about using one of the pads that comes with the EAD10 but it seems to be much thicker than the recession in the hoop used to accommodate the inlay. I thought this might be problematic but maybe I should give it a try. The manual indicates that these pads are for metal hoops but it did cross my mind that a hoop with an inlay might not be ideal in terms of making contact with the trigger.
Metal hoops are almost always indented in my experience. Also metal hoops will possibly allow unwanted cross triggering I would think. I think having the indentation on the underside is the most problematic. I would certainly play with the settings first. I am betting that will work.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, that's encouraging. Where exactly within the metal housing is the kick trigger located? I'm just trying to figure out if there needs to be better contact between the hoop and the mic/trigger unit, and if so, which part is most critical in terms of coming into contact with the hoop?

xsabers

Reaction score
Thanks, that's encouraging. Where exactly within the metal housing is the kick trigger located? I'm just trying to figure out if there needs to be better contact between the hoop and the mic/trigger unit, and if so, which part is most critical in terms of coming into contact with the hoop?
Good question, that I can't answer! But the best and most consistent response I've experienced (99% +/-) has been on my Saturn kit with thicker wood hoops, so thick that the Yamaha barely opens wide enough to fit. I make sure it's snug so no gap is present at the hoop edge and it works perfectly. It's been trial and error for me with times of frustration. So frustrating, in fact that I ALMOST broke out the manual to read it!!! Now I have it dialed in on one setting, I'm going to branch out and dial in different effects for different songs and see what the possibilities are.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When you get the trigger settings dialed in right, do they stay consistent across all "Scenes" in the module? I'd hate to have to do this for each one.

xsabers

Reaction score
When you get the trigger settings dialed in right, do they stay consistent across all "Scenes" in the module? I'd hate to have to do this for each one.
Um, maybe???? I'll let you know after Friday's gig!

samsdrum

Reaction score
So, have you gotten this figured out for any better trigger response? I just got the EAD10 and I am kind of getting mixed results depending on the trigger I am trying to activate. I am also currently using it on a Ludwig bass drum with the inlay indention. Some of the trigger sounds seem to come thru with no problems while others are really not very audible, at least I can't say I can hear a distinctive difference between several of the sounds. I basically just hear the overall oomph of the kick and mics picking up the rest of the kit. I can hear them when I tap on my bass hoop with my stick so I know the unit is working. The clamp that holds the unit in place isn't completely level due to the inlay indention but I am not sure that is really the problem since many of the sounds do come thru loud and clear.

And to answer your question, it seems once you change the MIC/Trig settings they remain in place even after shutdown/restarts.

Didrum

Reaction score
So i got mine EAD10 few days ago, and seems like i have very similar situation like yours Cochlea,i have played with the settings, followed all instructions and suggestions from the fellows drummers and nothing worked ,simply there is no signal coming out from the trigger input,again if i tap the hoop or the mic or even the cables the trigger is there,but not when im playing the drums,i can see that there is no signal showing on the module dash,just from the mic,you think that might be a faulty one??? any idea.... thanks

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I bought two of them and neither of them worked correctly and I returned them both. I love the idea of the EAD-10, but the execution leaves a bit to be desired. I even had the separate snare and bass drum triggers... nothing worked right. I wanted to love it...believe me!

Didrum

Reaction score
hmmmm not very encouraging news but thanks for the info, i might replace mine and see how it goes.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I finally got mine working to my liking after consulting the "advanced manual" that is available online. This addendum to the regular user's manual goes into greater depth regarding trigger settings. It was a bit of trial and error as well, but I'm now able to get a consistent bass drum sample from the module in situations where I want both the natural sound coming from the mic unit and a triggered sample from the module. I don't know why Yamaha doesn't include the advanced manual with the EAD10.

Didrum

Reaction score
I finally got mine working to my liking after consulting the "advanced manual" that is available online. This addendum to the regular user's manual goes into greater depth regarding trigger settings. It was a bit of trial and error as well, but I'm now able to get a consistent bass drum sample from the module in situations where I want both the natural sound coming from the mic unit and a triggered sample from the module. I don't know why Yamaha doesn't include the advanced manual with the EAD10.

Can you please explain how you got the trigger working on the first place,thanks

xsabers

Reaction score
Just curious to those having issues, have you balanced the mic/trigger response and/or have you set the sensitivity level for the trigger? I've been using mine for a year now in practice and on gigs and am having no issues.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can you please explain how you got the trigger working on the first place,thanks

I'm not at home right now so I don't have the module in front of me as a reference. However, I recall that I went into the trigger set-up and in addition to increasing the sensitivity value of the bass trigger, I also changed to a different velocity curve. I think I went from the default curve to one labeled "Loud." This combination dramatically increased the level of the bass sample from the module. I've also discovered that my playing technique makes a difference. The bass trigger is not as responsive if I bury the beater into the head. It's much better when the beater can rebound off of the head. I'm not sure what to attribute this to, but it's something that for me makes a difference.

xsabers

Reaction score
I'm not at home right now so I don't have the module in front of me as a reference. However, I recall that I went into the trigger set-up and in addition to increasing the sensitivity value of the bass trigger, I also changed to a different velocity curve. I think I went from the default curve to one labeled "Loud." This combination dramatically increased the level of the bass sample from the module. I've also discovered that my playing technique makes a difference. The bass trigger is not as responsive if I bury the beater into the head. It's much better when the beater can rebound off of the head. I'm not sure what to attribute this to, but it's something that for me makes a difference.
There are also meters which show you the mic vs. trigger response levels. They needed to be leveled for me.

Didrum

Reaction score
There are also meters which show you the mic vs. trigger response levels. They needed to be leveled for me.

Thank you guys for the very useful info,looks like needed a push and somehow start working,the magic happen when i turn to Loud 2 on curve settings and previously i put the sensitivity level on 13,and gain to 127 ,after that i loose the mic part from the hoop and with slight left/right movements the signal start to appear ,very happy about it ,thanks again, cheers!

כומלטדשצ

Reaction score
Hi, I have the same original issue as "cochlea" had: my trigger doesn't respond at all. I tried most of the tips mentioned on this thread but it didn't help. What's weird to me is that even when I press the speaker icon button to audition trigger sounds I hear very low quality/volume sounds which might indicate that the issue is not with the sensor itself but with the module. Any insight/help? thank you.