header.nohb.html

Need help with weak "Kick Trigger" response on Yamaha EAD10

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi, I have the same original issue as "cochlea" had: my trigger doesn't respond at all. I tried most of the tips mentioned on this thread but it didn't help. What's weird to me is that even when I press the speaker icon button to audition trigger sounds I hear very low quality/volume sounds which might indicate that the issue is not with the sensor itself but with the module. Any insight/help? thank you.

I don't have any issues when auditioning samples directly through the speaker icon button on the module. I've played around with the internal trigger settings and although I've noticed some improvement in the bass drum trigger response, it still doesn't trigger consistently unless I'm forceful with the bass beater. I've been considering adding a Yamaha acoustic bass trigger to get a better response. I do wish the EAD had a separate mic input for the bass drum.

כומלטדשצ

Reaction score
So I understand you haven't completely solved your issue yet. That's unfortunate. Any idea if there is any official technical support that could help us with the issue?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just finished troubleshooting a trigger issue with the EAD-10.

I have only a few hours on the unit. Last time I used it, I had no trigger response. Nada. Checked every setting, figured I had probably hit something by accident. I was definitely using a bass drum with solid rims, so it couldn't be that. I even picked up the unit and tried knocking on different parts, nothing. The mic section was fine.

I COULD, however, play sounds as I selected them from the head unit...ok.
I double-checked that "A" and "B" corresponded to "A" and "B" at all places, but still nothing.
I Googled the issue and found...this thread.
I located the advanced manual and did a factory reset. I figured if I had mucked up a setting, I could undo it. The reset didn't help.
I decided to inspect the wires themselves, and when I took out the "A" wire, I heard the trigger fire. Hmmm.
I then heard a crackling as I moved the wires around, so I decided to "exercise" them. That is, simply plug them in and out of the 1/4" sockets a few times.
BAM.
Trigger returned as if it had never left.
My conclusion is that these 1/4" connectors are not the greatest. I had heard crackle before, but wrote it off as being new and needing to break in.

I wonder if those are related to the issues that some have been running into?
Anyway, hope that helps, and I hope Yamaha is listening.

Dan

Reaction score
I just finished troubleshooting a trigger issue with the EAD-10.

I have only a few hours on the unit. Last time I used it, I had no trigger response. Nada. Checked every setting, figured I had probably hit something by accident. I was definitely using a bass drum with solid rims, so it couldn't be that. I even picked up the unit and tried knocking on different parts, nothing. The mic section was fine.

I COULD, however, play sounds as I selected them from the head unit...ok.
I double-checked that "A" and "B" corresponded to "A" and "B" at all places, but still nothing.
I Googled the issue and found...this thread.
I located the advanced manual and did a factory reset. I figured if I had mucked up a setting, I could undo it. The reset didn't help.
I decided to inspect the wires themselves, and when I took out the "A" wire, I heard the trigger fire. Hmmm.
I then heard a crackling as I moved the wires around, so I decided to "exercise" them. That is, simply plug them in and out of the 1/4" sockets a few times.
BAM.
Trigger returned as if it had never left.
My conclusion is that these 1/4" connectors are not the greatest. I had heard crackle before, but wrote it off as being new and needing to break in.

I wonder if those are related to the issues that some have been running into?
Anyway, hope that helps, and I hope Yamaha is listening.

Dan
Thanks for the advice on the crackling connectors….mine were super sensitive to movement…it was a hot mess. I am also having trouble with the bass drum trigger on the rim. I have tried everything I can think of in adjustments to get my bass drum to trigger…the mikes are working fine but as hard as I pound my bass drum pedal it refuses to trigger. I can tap my stick on the rim and it triggers the selected bass sound so I am not sure what the problem is , and yes it is seated correctly. I love the EAD10 enough that I ordered the separate bass drum trigger so we’ll see how that works out.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the crackling connectors….mine were super sensitive to movement…it was a hot mess. I am also having trouble with the bass drum trigger on the rim. I have tried everything I can think of in adjustments to get my bass drum to trigger…the mikes are working fine but as hard as I pound my bass drum pedal it refuses to trigger. I can tap my stick on the rim and it triggers the selected bass sound so I am not sure what the problem is , and yes it is seated correctly. I love the EAD10 enough that I ordered the separate bass drum trigger so we’ll see how that works out.
What kind of head are you using on the bass drum? Certain heads don't work well with the EADs internal trigger.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
The bass drum trigger will help
1D1EA907-7A2A-4FAA-96B1-15E78002B1C9.jpeg
6F9D0572-C73C-4005-AAA1-9B4D46252CF8.jpeg
4A5550D7-4EA9-47C7-BCD4-C872C7C3399E.jpeg

Reaction score
I just picked up a Yamaha EAD10 which I think will be a lot of fun for practicing at home. I set it up over the weekend but am having some difficulty with the Kick Trigger response. I've followed the directions to be sure I have correctly attached the mic unit to bass drum hoop and the A & B cables to their correct inputs on the module. I've also used the "Auto" trigger to set the sensitivity of the mic and kick trigger but no matter how hard I hit the bass drum, I don't hear the triggered sample (I only get the acoustic sound from the mic). I can hear the samples when I activate them by pressing a button on the module, and if I tap the kick trigger (located in the unit attached to the bass drum hoop) I also hear the sample from the module, so it seems that both the mic unit and module are working fine. My guess is that it's a sensitivity issue that I need to adjust in the module. Before I go monkeying with the settings, I thought I would seek advice from those who already have the unit and perhaps encountered a similar issue. What kick trigger value (number) are most of you setting the module to in order to get a triggered sound from the module? Is there anything else I should be looking at?
As much as I really think the EAD10 has such great potential it would sure help to have a better manual that would explain precisely how to operate the thing. I even downloaded the ADVANCED manual which helped a little more, but this thing is NOT intuitive by any means. A lot of YouTube and this forum has gotten me to a point where I can start to set up user scenes (for some reason you have to pay attention when you save because it will randomly save it as whatever user number it feels at the time) Anyway, just like many fellow EAD10 users, I too suffer from the module bass trigger not working at all with my bass drum. I have done everything that I can possibly figure out to get it to trigger, and just like everyone else that is here, yes we have the thing attached correctly to the correct, solid bass drum hoop and the mike is working perfectly, but as HARD as I pound on the bass drum the trigger does not pick up anything….funny that I can take my drumstick a couple of inches away and lightly tap the hoop and POW, there is the trigger sound. I caved and ordered the bass drum trigger…lets see how well it works.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I really think the EAD10 has such great potential it would sure help to have a better manual that would explain precisely how to operate the thing. I even downloaded the ADVANCED manual which helped a little more, but this thing is NOT intuitive by any means. A lot of YouTube and this forum has gotten me to a point where I can start to set up user scenes (for some reason you have to pay attention when you save because it will randomly save it as whatever user number it feels at the time) Anyway, just like many fellow EAD10 users, I too suffer from the module bass trigger not working at all with my bass drum. I have done everything that I can possibly figure out to get it to trigger, and just like everyone else that is here, yes we have the thing attached correctly to the correct, solid bass drum hoop and the mike is working perfectly, but as HARD as I pound on the bass drum the trigger does not pick up anything….funny that I can take my drumstick a couple of inches away and lightly tap the hoop and POW, there is the trigger sound. I caved and ordered the bass drum trigger…lets see how well it works.
Asking again -- what kind of head are you using on your bass drum?

drumnhands

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One thing that's important. When mounting the sensor unit onto your bass drum hoop MAKE SURE that the back of the slot is touching the hoop fully. If it's not in good contact with the hoop that can affect trigger function. For crackling cables, spray a little contact cleaner on the tips and put the cables in and out of the jacks a few times.

Northamusi

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note sure if you've already seen this, but here's an illustration that shows proper placement of the sensor unit.

EAD10_Attaching the Sensor.jpg

Reaction score
Asking again -- what kind of head are you using on your bass drum?
I was using an EMAD head with muffle rings and the sensor was touching the hoop totally…I just replaced the head with original remo heads. Same result. I wish Yamaha would be a lot clearer on how to adjust the settings on this unit. It is clear as mud . I have given up on the on hoop trigger….the mike works fine. I have ordered the optional bass drum trigger

Reaction score
Note sure if you've already seen this, but here's an illustration that shows proper placement of the sensor unit.

View attachment 541419
Yes, mine is exactly the same as the illustration. I cant get it any closer. Like I said, I can get it to activate with a gentle tap of my drumstick on the hoop about 2 inches away from the sensor module. The trigger IS triggering but not from bass pedal input.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was using an EMAD head with muffle rings and the sensor was touching the hoop totally…I just replaced the head with original remo heads. Same result. I wish Yamaha would be a lot clearer on how to adjust the settings on this unit. It is clear as mud . I have given up on the on hoop trigger….the mike works fine. I have ordered the optional bass drum trigger
The EAD10 is known to have problems with EMADs, but a stock Ambassador/PS3 style head should be fine. The trigger actually is reading the hoop, not the head, which is why striking the hoop triggers it so solidly. To work "normally", the head needs to transfer a lot of energy into the hoop, which both mesh heads and foam+tray heads like the EMAD have trouble with. Sorry to hear you're having issues with it!

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
It has been mentioned on the FB group the the unit does not work well with muffled heads like EMAD or Super Kicks

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
The EAD10 is known to have problems with EMADs, but a stock Ambassador/PS3 style head should be fine. The trigger actually is reading the hoop, not the head, which is why striking the hoop triggers it so solidly. To work "normally", the head needs to transfer a lot of energy into the hoop, which both mesh heads and foam+tray heads like the EMAD have trouble with. Sorry to hear you're having issues with it!
Jinks

You owe me a Coke or I owe you a Coke

Hypercaffium

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with a Remo Silentstroke head on my bass drum. It's really floppy, so I'll try to tighten it like Yamaha suggests. There's a section in their website where they talk about Silentstroke heads and how to tune them. It's strange because there's plenty of people using the exact same head without trigger problems.