header.nohb.html

Need help with weak "Kick Trigger" response on Yamaha EAD10

Reaction score
To everyone that is having issues with poor response of their bass drum with the EMAD mike/trigger……I have tweaked all settings plus changed heads twice with minimal luck. I have caved and purchased the Yamaha DT50K bass drum trigger…..it works perfectly, I am finally in drummers heaven. Kudos to all of you that haven’t had to resort to purchasing another trigger.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Using a separate trigger now turns the sensor unit into just a microphone; so you can put it wherever you want with say a mic stand and adapter for a more balanced sound overall

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Using a separate trigger now turns the sensor unit into just a microphone; so you can put it wherever you want with say a mic stand and adapter for a more balanced sound overall
That is interesting and good to know.

I do not use my EA10D because it picks up too much of my ride cymbal which sits nice and low over my bass drum and floor tom (4 piece setup) and because the unit is so hit and miss on picking up the bass drum.

My EA10D has just been sitting in a box. I haven't gotten rid of it as I feel the potential for it is there but it has just been frustrating.

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To everyone that is having issues with poor response of their bass drum with the EMAD mike/trigger……I have tweaked all settings plus changed heads twice with minimal luck. I have caved and purchased the Yamaha DT50K bass drum trigger…..it works perfectly, I am finally in drummers heaven. Kudos to all of you that haven’t had to resort to purchasing another trigger.
It is a bummer though having to spend an extra 100 bucks due to the trigger already integral to the unit being so finicky.

Reaction score
It is a bummer though having to spend an extra 100 bucks due to the trigger already integral to the unit being so finicky.
That trigger on the unit is NOT a regular trigger as used for triggering samples, I have learned from the EAD group.

Its to compliment the mic. If you want a trigger for samples/layering sounds, an external trigger is needed.

But that being said, I didn’t have any issues with mine back in the day when I had one.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
The EAD can be confusing if your not clear on exactly what it’s designed for and exactly how it does it.

Otherwise you can get “triggered”

You wont find the User Trigger gain menu setting

Deep breath it can be confusing

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you able to adjust the level of the DT50K bass trigger on the fly to increase/decrease the level of the bass sample in the the module versus what you hear through the mic?

Hypercaffium

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I replaced the mesh head with the original head, which is pretty loud. I tried with both the original and low volume scenes and the trigger doesn't do nothing. I also tuned the batter head from floppy to very tight and it didn't solve the problem. In some scenes the triggers worked only when stoping extremely hard on the pedal. Acoustically speaking, it's very loud, but the trigger sound is barely audible. I understand it's a different kind of trigger, but mine seems broken to be honest. Before moving to triggers I must be sure I don't have a faulty unit. That's why I tried with the original batter head in the first place.
Hitting the top part of the ring with a stick activates the trigger though, but it's fixed with no dynamics and the volume is really low compared to the sample preview you can hear from the EAD10.

Rich Carlson

Reaction score
I have the sensitivity set to 13, the curve set to Fix2 and the gain at 25. I also ripped a felt cymbal pad in half (long way) and used it on the rim when I tightened the screw on the trigger to the hoop itself. 1,000 percent better results on the kick drum triggered sound.