Need my backrest

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agreed to play a gig with a local big band, along with three rehearsals beforehand. They said there was a set of drums there, so I took snare drum and cymbals. I also loaded the bag with throne, hat, and snare stand, but when I got there decided to use the hardware they had. I'm sorry I did so. The stands were all flimsy, but serviceable, but the throne about killed me. After an hour of playing without a backrest my neck started hurting, and I realized that my posture was to blame. Next week I'll leave my bag at home, but will definitely take my Roc 'n Soc, including the backrest.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'll use whatever gear is backline, but I always bring my throne. I don't have a backrest any more, but it is set up to the perfect height for me to get the right posture, plus it's broken in to my butt shape.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And BTW: Recently, I have been adjusting mine a little closer to my back than normal. I think I feel more dependent on it or a since of security even while playing.

sherm

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I must be one of the oddballs. I've tried using a backrest and just could not get comfortable or used to it. Ended up selling the throne. It was a roc n soc. Moved to a soundseat. Maybe worth trying to retrofit their backrest and see how that goes.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have both a roc and soc with backrest AND a Gibraltar with a backrest.. one to keep at whatever rehearsal space I happen to be playing at currently, and one to keep packed up for gigs and/or at home to practice.
They both work just as good for me, and I get back pain if i play without one.
What bugs me the most is the stand loosening up at the spiral adjuster and/or the tightener on the actual seat top.
My next investment is going to be the nitro adjustable style throne

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My next investment is going to be the nitro adjustable style throne
I currently have three nitro thrones: one on my home kit, one on the set at my big band leader's house, and my gigging throne. I've been using one for almost 20 years, and love them. I really like that they made the new ones easier to disassemble. That let me retire my socket wrench.

LauraCai

Reaction score
Big Roc-n-Soc fan and like the backrest as well, but only for resting while not playing.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I actually lean against the backrest while playing. It helps me keep good posture, and reduces fatigue. I don't even think about it any more.