header.nohb.html

Need Some Help Identifying A Vintage Gretsch Set

ImaMan

Reaction score
Hi ya'll, I received a vintage Gretsch set for free from someone who wanted me to throw it away for them. Evidently it was their dad's and they were trying to throw it out. At first I didn't realize what it was because I'm not a drummer and it was petty gross, but I later looked into it and found a little info, but I'm still unsure of what exactly it is from what time period.

I'm currently restoring this kit since I have some experience in that department. I have all the hardware, but have taken it off the drums to clean the shells.

There is a 20" bass drum, a 12" and 16" tom, and a 14" snare.

Here are some pics.

20220718_111705.jpg

20220718_213931.jpg
20220718_215406.jpg
20220718_215529.jpg
20220718_215259.jpg
20220718_215312.jpg
20220718_215317.jpg
20220718_215354.jpg

The snare drum is the only one without a sticker on it (looks like it was ripped off at some point). Sorry if the image formatting is poor, I'm on mobile. Any help will be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220718_214032.jpg
    20220718_214032.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
81965, 93483, - 1967
27121- 1964

looks maybe a Rock And Roll Outfit

see 66 catalog at www.vintagedrumguide.com

Is there a top Mount bracket (hole) on the bass drum? for a post?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's original walnut finish that's pretty nice
- another distinction to note is: round head or hex head screws to hold lugs on.
Round/flat screwdriver head are the earlier mid 67 on back; Hex head the mid 67 to 68 on out.
Be careful with those
~
Need/Like to see Bass drum top where (what type of) tom attachment might have been

ImaMan

Reaction score
that's original walnut finish that's pretty nice
- another distinction to note is: round head or hex head screws to hold lugs on.
Round/flat screwdriver head are the earlier mid 67 on back; Hex head the mid 67 to 68 on out.
Be careful with those
Yeah they were all round head flat head to hold the lugs on. I had 3 snap on me on the bass drum unfortunately, but I've already drilled them out and retapped them. The rest of them on the shells came out without issue. The dampeners have quite a bit of surface rust on them, but I'm just happy they were all there and functional. I know the bass drum does have a bracket that comes out of the top with a flat part that slides into the tom and holds it in place, but I will take a closer look when I get home and snap a picture for you.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the bass drum does have a bracket that comes out of the top with a flat part that slides into the tom and holds it in place, but I will take a closer look when I get home and snap a picture for you.
sounds like a two-hole Rail Consolette mount; so far so good!
You have a gem of a set there- even if the floor is 16 (instead of the 'oh-wow' 14"

The finish looks unfazed by time;
Gretsch again for the win (sorry 5 finger guys (inside joke)
welcome Imaman

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a score! Restoration back as close to original is your best bet.

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect that the drums have been refinished and were originally wrapped or painted. The spread of the serial numbers and the snare with the Lightning throw indicates that these are from different time periods and would not likely all match unless refinished. Still a great project and should sound great.

ImaMan

Reaction score
I suspect that the drums have been refinished and were originally wrapped or painted. The spread of the serial numbers and the snare with the Lightning throw indicates that these are from different time periods and would not likely all match unless refinished. Still a great project and should sound great.
Interesting! Is there any way to know for sure if they are refinished?

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the snare it looks like there is a seam that someone used wood filler or putty to smooth out. If that is correct, it did not accept the stain well so looks lighter in color. How do the seams on the other drums look?

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This^^^^

Cue David Rose...

ImaMan

Reaction score
sounds like a two-hole Rail Consolette mount; so far so good!
You have a gem of a set there- even if the floor is 16 (instead of the 'oh-wow' 14"

The finish looks unfazed by time;
Gretsch again for the win (sorry 5 finger guys (inside joke)
welcome Imaman
Here is the mount for that bass drum.
20220719_174503.jpg

On the snare it looks like there is a seam that someone used wood filler or putty to smooth out. If that is correct, it did not accept the stain well so looks lighter in color. How do the seams on the other drums look?
The seams don't look too bad on the other drums, but I can definitely see what you mean on the snare.

20220719_174413.jpg

And here is my progress on the first dampener. Steel wool, Mothers Powermetal, and a steel will!

20220719_152046.jpg

20220719_174336.jpg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those are sweet! Why are people always trying to throw drums away!?

Are you looking to refurbish to sell them?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good job on the metal parts
(are you that guy on the TV commercial?)
The shells look Grand. (great)

ImaMan

Reaction score
Those are sweet! Why are people always trying to throw drums away!?

Are you looking to refurbish to sell them?
I don't think I'll sell them, I've grown quite attached to them already and plan to add them to my studio to record with.

Good job on the metal parts
(are you that guy on the TV commercial?)
The shells look Grand. (great)

Thanks! I'll post pictures in this thread as I bring it back from the land of rust!