header.nohb.html

Need Some Help Identifying A Vintage Gretsch Set

ImaMan

Reaction score
You absolutely should keep them the way they are . That kit is in nice shape and just needed you’re love cleaning it up . For the record if mine were in as nice shape and the wrap wasn’t falling off I would have just cleaned them up and sold them . Again , nice job you are doing . Great score . Note : don’t sell them learn how to play them .
I am absolutely keeping them!! I've fallen in love with them. Can't let them go now.

bopdaddy

Reaction score
You can apply a faux patina to that polished badge with a brown sharpie.

ImaMan

Reaction score
16" floor tom is done! This thing sounds huge!

20220726_102036.jpg

20220726_102019.jpg

I also cleaned up the tom mount bracket. I had to break out the power tools to get the rust off this one.

Before:
20220719_174503.jpg

After:
20220726_114407.jpg

All that's left now is the bass drum!

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Round-badge Gretsch are one of the grails of vintage collecting. That is an unbelievable gift you've got there. Mixed/matched or not, they all fit together and will make an awesome studio kit.

It's amazing what people have and don't know it, only to discard them. That would have been a shame; instead they are saved and will live for another 60 years.

ImaMan

Reaction score
It is DONE! I did realize I'm missing the 90 degree adapter to connect the cymbal arm to the bass drum so I'll need to locate one of those.

Also, there are two holes remaining in the bass drum. There is no imprint there so it looks like nothing was ever installed in that location. What is supposed to go there?

I still need to get a snare stand. I also have the original Zildjian cymbal. I'll upload a picture of it later on.

Mystery holes:
20220727_140355.jpg

Finished product:
20220728_115627.jpg

20220728_115616.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(drop two carriage bolts in the "extra" mount holes; (carriage bolt, nut. washer) add a little "chrome" glisten.
Those two holes are further apart that a Gretsch Diamond plate (like the cymbal arm's) huh.. Must have had a non Gretsch part there +/-

ImaMan

Reaction score
(drop two carriage bolts in the "extra" mount holes; (carriage bolt, nut. washer) add a little "chrome" glisten.
Those two holes are further apart that a Gretsch Diamond plate (like the cymbal arm's) huh.. Must have had a non Gretsch part there +/-

The interesting thing is that there is no mark or discoloration in that spot so I don't anything has ever been installed there. I would think there would be a slight imprint in the wood if there was anything there at any point. It is strange! Carriage bolts would definitely work there. Thanks for the idea!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
see the impression right and left in the stamp? ; the 'A" team will be here soon; Weigh it

looks like 2273g from here ; ) or 2434g

Last edited:

ImaMan

Reaction score
Also, will the kick pedal hold the bass drum up so the lugs don't hit the floor? And will the kick pedal come with a way to mount to the bass drum? As a non drummer, I'm a bit confused on the hardware side of things. Thanks!

20220728_134436.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The interesting thing is that there is no mark or discoloration in that spot
hateto speculate (that rhymes) was there any impressions anywhere? set may have been pearl
Also, will the kick pedal hold the bass drum up so the lugs don't hit the floor? And will the kick pedal come with a way to mount to the bass drum? As a non drummer, I'm a bit confused on the hardware side of things. Thanks!

View attachment 574402
yes absolutely an old But nice Ludwig Speed King would be appropopopo

See the lift/clearance with an any pedal->

PremSpedal 007.JPG

ImaMan

Reaction score
Here is a better picture of the logo. The stamp measures 1 and 1/8 inches measured top to bottom:

20220728_143119.jpg

And I got a sweet deal on these that I couldn't turn down so I splurged a little and bought them.
20220728_143520.jpg

Last edited:

rkingston

Reaction score
Here is the cymbal I got with the set.

View attachment 574386
View attachment 574387
I'm still working on cleaning it up.
View attachment 574389
View attachment 574393
Guess we missed the chance to say in advance that we don't polish vintage cymbals. Ever.

That said, you did a great job on it! As a matter fact, great job on the whole kit!

What's the diameter on that cymbal? If it's above 18, that vintage in that condition will have quite the resale value if/when you do decide to let it go.
(edit: just saw your closeup shot of the stamp; still nice, but not quite what I thought it was. Carry on — and enjoy!)

Nice score!