header.nohb.html

Need Some Help Identifying A Vintage Gretsch Set

ImaMan

Reaction score
Guess we missed the chance to say in advance that we don't polish vintage cymbals. Ever.

That said, you did a great job on it! As a matter fact, great job on the whole kit!

What's the diameter on that cymbal? If it's above 18, that vintage in that condition will have quite the resale value if/when you do decide to let it go.
(edit: just saw your closeup shot of the stamp; still nice, but not quite what I thought it was. Carry on — and enjoy!)

Nice score!
The cymbal is a 20". I'm trying to figure out what year it is, but I keep getting thrown off by small details.

From what I'm seeing here it looks like a 1940's-1950's.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
The bass drum pedal will clamp on to the bottom of the back hoop. They all come with a built in clamp of one design or another. Most of us put some felt on the hoop (both surfaces) to protect the wood from being damaged. If you examine both hoops I'm sure you'll find the spot where a bass pedal was for a long time. You can find some felt with adhesive on it at a good drum shop or online or at a local fabric store.

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang, the trans stamp is just rubbing it in!

Beautiful kit. Lightning throw doesn't necessarily mean different era. Cleaning the drums was cool, but aargh, not polishing the cymbal, that broke my heart.

ImaMan

Reaction score
Dang, the trans stamp is just rubbing it in!

Beautiful kit. Lightning throw doesn't necessarily mean different era. Cleaning the drums was cool, but aargh, not polishing the cymbal, that broke my heart.
I'm sorry buddy!! The drum vintage scene is totally different than the guitar vintage scene!! I didn't know!

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
20" trans stamp type 3 - figure around 1950-1953. But I think there's "some" circumstantial evidence that the type 3 stamp was used during the mid-50's too during the large stamp era.

1882 gm? You hit the jack pot as that's the crash/ride sweet spot for these guys. Some of the best sounding A's Zildjian ever made. At that weight and clean.....$350-$450.
So that cymbal was being tossed out with the junk along with the Gretsch kit ?????

Last edited:

ImaMan

Reaction score
20" trans stamp type 3 - figure around 1950-1953. But I think there's circumstantial evidence that the type 3 stamp was used during the mid-50's too during the large stamp era.

1882 gm? You hit the jack pot as that's the crash/ride sweet spot for these guys. Some of the best sounding A's Zildjian ever made. At that weight and clean.....$350-$450.
So that cymbal was being tossed out with the junk along with the Gretsch kit ?????
Great info! That is really nice to know. Thank you. I wonder about its history. Possibly 17 years older than the kit itself. Maybe the original owner's first cymbal. Maybe he picked it up used when he bought the Gretsch kit. I wish I had their email or something so I could see if they wanted it back.

The full story is that earlier this year, I was working as a manager at Guitar Center. These two older ladies came in with a cart filled with these drums and the cymbal just thrown in there. All stacked on top of itself. They said that it was their fathers and that they were sick of looking at it. They asked if I could throw it out for them since it was a rusted mess. They told me I could keep it if I wanted to... I told them that I would throw it out. I stacked it onto my own cart and was bringing it to the freight elevator when I saw a Gretsch badge peeking out. I searched for them on my phone and realized that they were special so I ran out into the parking lot, but they were gone. The drummers I worked with were drooling over it so I packed everything in a box and shipped it to Florida. I just moved down here 2 weeks ago so I've been planning this restoration for quite a while. Now that it's done I stand back and look at it and wish I had asked more questions when they brought it in. I wish I had a way to contact those ladies. I wonder if they would have wanted to keep it knowing what it was. I wonder if they would have restored it too.

I'll cherish this kit for the rest of my life. I'll hand it down to my kids (when I have them) and hopefully, they will do the same. This whole experience has been an honor. I'm grateful that these drums found their way to me.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great story. And somewhat similar to how I obtained my '66 Slingerland 12,14,18 bop kit. Owner passed away and the widow tried to give it away to local schools
with no takers. Who would want an "old and used" kit like that? Some time must have passed with a local handyman spied the kit in the Widow's house when doing a job for her.
He knew it had a little value and took it home for "not much money." He brought that kit to Guitar Center and offered the drums, cymbals, and hardware to them for $750. GC refused
because it is their policy to purchase no used hardware. So rather than either party just tossing the hardware in the dumpster and doing the deal at $750....the kit came home with him. The guy wanted
"to be paid" for that hardware and he didn't want to drag it home by itself. Like your kit, it came with a 20" trans stamp - ride / crash and a couple other "old" cymbals.
Something tells me that if you were in the GC when this kit came in.....it would have been purchased.

You should find some trans stamp 14 or 15 inch hi hats (or 60's/70's New Beats) to go with your 20" ride and Gretsch drums. Your 20 trans stamp is basically a "do it all" cymbal.

Last edited:

ImaMan

Reaction score
Can anyone help me find a replacement L-Arm for this cymbal arm? Inside diameter of the arm measures 3/8".

20220730_215600.jpg

I bought this, but it is too big. I should have measured before I bought it!

20220730_215621.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes and Too short... May find a Japanese 60s that'll work; lemme look what can find

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
here one / hang on..just starting..

(see what they go for?) (complete and thats Low_

hang on
~~
way too much:

ImaMan

Reaction score
here one / hang on..just starting..

(see what they go for?) (complete and thats Low_

hang on
~~
way too much:
think ya gotta go with the 1st one)

But check it over:

Thank you JDA! You've been a huge help! Just picked up the first one. Measurements line up with mine perfectly. Thank you again!

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
we're knocking it out of the park Pal.

this will suffice for at home @ImaMan
i don't see anything bad; sure is period correct)
lil oil and checked over,

Last edited:

ImaMan

Reaction score
Great story. And somewhat similar to how I obtained my '66 Slingerland 12,14,18 bop kit. Owner passed away and the widow tried to give it away to local schools
with no takers. Who would want an "old and used" kit like that? Some time must have passed with a local handyman spied the kit in the Widow's house when doing a job for her.
He knew it had a little value and took it home for "not much money." He brought that kit to Guitar Center and offered the drums, cymbals, and hardware to them for $750. GC refused
because it is their policy to purchase no used hardware. So rather than either party just tossing the hardware in the dumpster and doing the deal at $750....the kit came home with him. The guy wanted
"to be paid" for that hardware and he didn't want to drag it home by itself. Like your kit, it came with a 20" trans stamp - ride / crash and a couple other "old" cymbals.
Something tells me that if you were in the GC when this kit came in.....it would have been purchased.

You should find some trans stamp 14 or 15 inch hi hats (or 60's/70's New Beats) to go with your 20" ride and Gretsch drums. Your 20 trans stamp is basically a "do it all" cymbal.
That's awesome! I've been crossing my fingers for a vintage synth yardsale find for quite a few years, but I think I used up all my luck on this one!

Funny, because I have a brand new set of 14" New Beats that I got. It would be nice to match everything age-wise though. I'll keep an eye out for a used set. I can always sell these since they are brand new.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder if that seller of the L arm (Robotron17) is Nick Robotron from our forum?

I was going to mention I had an extra one of those L arms........but not needed now.

The brand new set of fairly "modern" New Beats will probably be on the harsh side of the weight scale for your vintage Gretsch RB drums. But it really comes down to the type of music you play.
I think of set of those in the 750-850 / 1050-1200 would be more in line with 60's weighting styling. Or a matched weighted pair of 50's or 60's weighing 600's to 800's.

ImaMan

Reaction score
I wonder if that seller of the L arm (Robotron17) is Nick Robotron from our forum?

I was going to mention I had an extra one of those L arms........but not needed now.

The brand new set of fairly "modern" New Beats will probably be on the harsh side of the weight scale for your vintage Gretsch RB drums. But it really comes down to the type of music you play.
I think of set of those in the 750-850 / 1050-1200 would be more in line with 60's weighting styling. Or a matched weighted pair of 50's or 60's weighing 600's to 800's.
They are really heavy!! I got a stupid good deal on them plus 3 other brands new Zildjians so that is the main reason I pulled the trigger on them.

Thanks for the tips on matching weights. As a guitarist I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff so it's good to have some help.