Need Some Help With My Snare...

Drumskillz

Reaction score
Ok. This is my baby.

EPIC!.JPG

Now, before you go talkin' about my baby, she may be ugly...but she's MY BABY! :)

But seriously, I love the sound of this snare drum. It was love at first hit!

However, I have a problem. It is the same problem that I have with my Ludwig Rocker Elite piccolo (another favorite) and another 14x6.5 that I once had but sold. I will be playing along at practice or a gig and suddenly in the middle of a song, the snare wire is loose. So I will adjust the strainer and get them back to normal. Fine for a while. Then suddely it is loose again. I have looked at the butt plate and all appears to be good and snug. The straps themselves are still taut! So I am thinking this has something to do with the strainer. Has anyone ever experienced this issue? I have 12 snare drums and I have never had this issue with any of my drums...except for my two Luddys which are among my favorite snares. Somebody...call the snare doctor!

zapviii

Reaction score
Is the throw off adjustment backing out? Mark it with a sharpie and see if it is. You need to find out what is moving before you can fix the problem.
If it is the throw off - back it out completely until the snare tension screw separates from the strainer assembly exposing the male threads. Apply a couple layers of PTFE tape for pipe fittings onto the male threads and re install.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
^^Agreed. If you are sure the straps aren't slipping, then it's probably the snare tension knob.

Latest posts