Need some infomation regarding the Snare John Bonham Played

Drummer1990

Reaction score
SO I had a LM402 Supraphonic many years ago and I sold it like a idiot not thinking clearly and I've wanted another one ever since...

But this time I want THE LM402 Model and year That Bonham used.. I have no clue what it is... I've been hearing different things of it being a 1960's or 1970's LM402 or LM400 was it a chrome over brass or alumium

Can somebody who really knows the gear of John Bonham please help me with the following infomation

Year -
Model -
Shell Type -

Thanks
Phil

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bonham had multiple LM402s. He played both Keystone and B/O badges. His first (only?) Keystone was likely either a '68 or '69 and the first B/O drum was likely a '70. The '70 came with his first green sparkle kit which he received in June of that year. That's the only one I suspect you could see a picture of and know which drum it is. He did play an LM400 at one point and that might have been the snare on the first album, but I've seen very few pictures of it. He of course received several kits over the years and it's safe to assume he got a snare with each of them. Whether or not he ever "upgraded" to those new drums or rotated them in with any frequency is unknown. He definitely played Ludalloy drums. There's no proof of him using a brass drum other than Jeff Ochiltree saying so. To my knowledge there are no photos of him with a Black Beauty so I don't believe it.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can't answer your Q's, but I know it had a Coated Emperor top, clear Diplomat bottom and 42-strand snare wires. My LM402 is a B/O from like 77-78 and I have it dialed in pretty good for THE sound.......

Drummer1990

Reaction score
Bonham had multiple LM402s. He played both Keystone and B/O badges. His first (only?) Keystone was likely either a '68 or '69 and the first B/O drum was likely a '70. The '70 came with his first green sparkle kit which he received in June of that year. That's the only one I suspect you could see a picture of and know which drum it is. He did play an LM400 at one point and that might have been the snare on the first album, but I've seen very few pictures of it. He of course received several kits over the years and it's safe to assume he got a snare with each of them. Whether or not he ever "upgraded" to those new drums or rotated them in with any frequency is unknown. He definitely played Ludalloy drums. There's no proof of him using a brass drum other than Jeff Ochiltree saying so. To my knowledge there are no photos of him with a Black Beauty so I don't believe it.
The one I am wanting to own would be the one he recorded " Kashmir and Levee Breaks. I absolutely love those tones in those songs

lcondo123

Reaction score
Only time Bonham ever used a snare that wasn't a 6.5" aluminum LM402 was for the recording of LZI, which was a 5" aluminum LM400, like TheElectricCompany said above

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I still can't believe that John sold the maple set to his sisters boyfriend for five pounds! I also can't believe that Jason Bonham doesn't own a set from back in the day.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received maple thermogloss in early 1969 - Keystone
Received first green sparkle in mid-1970 - B/O
Received another green sparkle in December 1970 - B/O
Received amber Vistalites by early 1973 - B/O
Received stainless steel kit by early 1977 - B/O

There's a third green sparkle but I can't remember when he received it. It could have been any time between mid-1970 and early 1973, assuming once he received the amber Vistalites he never received another maple kit. I don't know if he received more than one amber kit or more than one stainless kit.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Received maple thermogloss in early 1969 - Keystone
Received first green sparkle in mid-1970 - B/O
Received another green sparkle in December 1970 - B/O
Received amber Vistalites by early 1973 - B/O
Received stainless steel kit by early 1977 - B/O

There's a third green sparkle but I can't remember when he received it. It could have been any time between mid-1970 and early 1973, assuming once he received the amber Vistalites he never received another maple kit. I don't know if he received more than one amber kit or more than one stainless kit.
A set of green sparkle Slingerlands pre-dates all the Ludwig stuff...., shown here on their Scandinavian tour, 1968. This kit is probably what is recorded on Led Zep 1...with an LM400. pic below

Attachments

ThomFloor

Reaction score
I still can't believe that John sold the maple set to his sisters boyfriend for five pounds! I also can't believe that Jason Bonham doesn't own a set from back in the day.
The maple Thermogloss is currently owned by Paul Thompson, ex-drummer for Roxy Music.

Last edited:

Drummer1990

Reaction score
Do you guys know if John Bonham ever used the Ludwig LM402's W/ Keystone Drum Badge in early days Or was his 6.5x14 snares always B/O badge

And lastly can anyone back up Jeff Ocheltree's info that Bonham also used a Black Beauty sometimes??

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you guys know if John Bonham ever used the Ludwig LM402's W/ Keystone Drum Badge in early days Or was his 6.5x14 snares always B/O badge

And lastly can anyone back up Jeff Ocheltree's info that Bonham also used a Black Beauty sometimes??
I've heard him say he used one on In Through The Out Door. Sounds like one to me. And, with the tracks that circulate "out there", you can hear a few solo whacks of the drum. It may not be every track. Whatever it is, it's John Bonham and will sound like him, even if you swapped out a steel piccolo!

Dan

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd assume his first 6.5 is keystone since he got it with the maple kit. Haven't ever seen a good photo of his snare where the badge is shown. Sound wise wouldn't make too much difference between the two, mainly would be how you set it up.