Need your assistance with a drum

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am about at my limit on patience with my Ludwig Classic Maples.

No matter what I do I can NOT get the 14" floor tom to do anything but sound like "afterbirth" as my guitarist calls it. Let's start with all things factory. Flat edges, bearings are intact, nothing physical with the drum that I can spy.

The sustain is unbelievable and the drum just keeps on rumbling uncontrollably. Like an aftershock from a earthquake.

I have tried several combinations of heads. Clear emps on top, coated pins on top, coated G2s on top. Factory head on bottom, Emp on bottom, currently I have a coated pin on top and a G2 on the bottom. It's an uncontrollable drum for me. I haven't got a clue how to tame it down. I don't want to use gels or O's because I'm going to haul them to gigs and don't want to fight extras on the heads. Plus, in testing, neither option works well enough to put up with the down side. The gels stick to the drum bag and the O's like to frisbee themselves to where ever drum keys go hide.

On a plus side the 12" sounds good with the coated pin on top and factory reso on bottom. Nothing works on the 14".

I know it's me but I just don't know where to turn.

Can someone give me some workable head combos that I can use for 60's through 90's rock?

Or

The next thing is they will be going up for sale.

Here's the bad boys.

20210508_105511 (1).jpg

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am about at my limit on patience with my Ludwig Classic Maples.

No matter what I do I can NOT get the 14" floor tom to do anything but sound like "afterbirth" as my guitarist calls it. Let's start with all things factory. Flat edges, bearings are intact, nothing physical with the drum that I can spy.

The sustain is unbelievable and the drum just keeps on rumbling uncontrollably. Like an aftershock from a earthquake.

I have tried several combinations of heads. Clear emps on top, coated pins on top, coated G2s on top. Factory head on bottom, Emp on bottom, currently I have a coated pin on top and a G2 on the bottom. It's an uncontrollable drum for me. I haven't got a clue how to tame it down. I don't want to use gels or O's because I'm going to haul them to gigs and don't want to fight extras on the heads. Plus, in testing, neither option works well enough to put up with the down side. The gels stick to the drum bag and the O's like to frisbee themselves to where ever drum keys go hide.

On a plus side the 12" sounds good with the coated pin on top and factory reso on bottom. Nothing works on the 14".

I know it's me but I just don't know where to turn.

Can someone give me some workable head combos that I can use for 60's through 90's rock?

Or

The next thing is they will be going up for sale.

Here's the bad boys.

View attachment 520397
What worked for me when my 14 floor was doing the same thing (as well as coming out of tune due to low tension tuning) was swapping the reso head from a G1 to a G14.
The extra thickness of the reso cured it all.
Just my experience.

bob e michael

DFO Master
Reaction score
14x14 ludwig toms are a hard tune for me too .... i had a 1965 14x14 .... i tried every combo . what worked for me
i put a snare reso head on the bottom .... give that a try

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What worked for me when my 14 floor was doing the same thing (as well as coming out of tune due to low tension tuning) was swapping the reso head from a G1 to a G14.
The extra thickness of the reso cured it all.
Just my experience.
That was my theory behind using a coated G2 as a reso. I'll step up my game plan. Thank you!

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
14x14 ludwig toms are a hard tune for me too .... i had a 1965 14x14 .... i tried every combo . what worked for me
i put a snare reso head on the bottom .... give that a try
Really. I have a brand new one. I haven't gone that far out of the box but what the heck. Thank you!!

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
14" X 14" can be a real bee-atch! I've had troublesome ones in the past. If all else fails and you want to keep and like the kit, making it into a 12" X 14" may be the ticket. Not what you want to hear, much less go through, but I bet it would be killer then!
My Collectors 12" X 14" is freaking incredible! Presence, full round mellow fundamental.
Good luck.
(PS, Thought you were headed toward a fully Yamaha existence.... ?)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
in a sense you really "can't hear" the bottom head on a 14X14 (I'm a Gretsch (real ones) guy )

So your top head is your concern. The bottom head a clear or some single ply is sufficient/best you can do/ there.

The top head you go for feel. Feel if you can do a decent 5-stroke roll on it. It's low. Not basement low medium Low.

That's it. You don't want it to ring for 3 measures. Simple tension on bottom head. Feel/ Hand feel/ on Top best you can do.

Sort of a "flat" sounding drum that needs to be "hit" to speak strongly

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try an evans hydraulic or a remo coated powerstroke 3 on the batter if a pinstripe is giving you uncontrollable sustain. 60’s -90’s rock generally was played with 16” floor toms so the heavy controlled heads will help give a lower fundamental on the 14”. A coated resonant can also help tone down some stray overtones and make for a warmer note. On my classic maples I was happy with a coated control sound (black dot) on the resonant side of my 14x12” (rack tom) to help emphasize the fundamental. The nice thing about experimenting on a 14” is that any heads that don’t accomplish your goal are still useful for snare drum experiments

slow larry

Reaction score
I had reso issues with toms like you described and actually put a marching tenor batter head on the reso side. An Evans EC2S on all of them. They sound great.

nylontip

Reaction score
Put some cotton balls in the drum. Use as many or as few to balance the resonance. (Kind of like the old school white felt strip on the bass drum method)

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You ever try Aquarian Dura Dots? They come in a package of 1 clear 4” and 1 coated 5” reusable adhesive dots. Run about $7 or $8 bucks. You can put them on top or on the bottom of the head inside. I use the 5” coated on my Vintage Emperor Coated 14” and nothing on my clear ambassador 14”reso bottom. The drum gets the lows I want in my drum room. For the price it may be worth a try.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some 14s are tricky. I'd try a vintage emperor on the batter & either a ctd or clear amb on the the reso.

Why the dislike of moongels? The container is small enough for a stick bag pocket & a single moongel will stay on your drum through playing, bagging & transport without moving at all until it disintegrates. Probably solve your problem immediately.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have three Ludwig 14” floors, and here is a combination you might try: Remo emperor Renaissance batter, remo clear diplomat reso.

BNK

Reaction score
Put some cotton balls in the drum. Use as many or as few to balance the resonance. (Kind of like the old school white felt strip on the bass drum method)
Make sure to pull the cotton balls apart a little so they are lighter, works better as a natural noise gate. Benny Greb recommends this method on his instructional videos.

Browny

Reaction score
Should be fine with a ‘normal’ head combo; amb/amb, Emp/amb, etc.

Bit of gaffer tape and/or some cotton balls should do the trick.

I’ve got a matching rolled piece of tape on both heads of both RK toms right now. I’ll often treat both heads when muffling, not just the top.

Play with the relationship between top & bottom heads, maybe you need more of a difference? Roughly a 3rd or 4th? I almost always go bottom higher, by how much is drum dependent.

Both heads the same will obviously have the longest sustain… just in case that’s how they are now.

You’re in a better position than having a drum that’s completely lifeless… easier to take sustain/resonance/etc away than to add it!