Neil meets Charlie

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A short, older man stepped up to me, sticking out his hand and saying something I couldn't hear. Thinking "Now who's THIS?" I took out one of my ear monitors and said "Sorry, I couldn't hear you."
He spoke again, smiling, "Hello, I'm Charlie Watts."
"Oh!" I said, taken aback, "Hello." And I shook his hand.
He asked if we were going on soon, and I said yes, any minute, and he said, with a twinkle, "I'm going to watch you!"
I suppose if I could have felt more pressured, that might have done it, but I was already at maximum intensity - there was no time to think of Charlie Watts and the Rolling Stones, watching them on The T.A.M.I Show or Ed Sullivan when I was twelve-and-a-half, hearing Satisfaction snarling down the midway at Lakeside Park, Gimme Shelter at the cinema in London, listening to Charlie's beautiful solo album, Warm and Tender, so many times late at night in Quebec, or any of the other million times Charlie Watts and his band had been part of my life.
Geddy e-mailed me later and mentioned that scene:

"BTW, I will never forget that moment before we went onstage when Charlie Watts came over to shake your hand (at the worst possible moment!) and watching your face go through all the motions of... a. who is this old guy? b. what does he want? c. oh for god's sake it's Charlie Watts!"
charlie and neal.jpg

Last edited:

rayboomboom

Reaction score
What a picture. Neal and Charlie's faces say so much there. And Alex and Geddy looking on is equally as cool; watching their friend meet Charlie.

Who would have thought Charlie would have outlived Neal?

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This was right before the Toronto SARS benefit concert. The smiles on both of their faces is an absolute genuine moment of spontaneous expression in a very candid moment. BTW - if you look very closely at the road case underneath Peart's forearm - it is stenciled in white lettering -- "Angus Young"

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pretty cool. Peart, so painfully shy seems genuinely pleased to be meeting Mr. Watts and vis a versa....and Lee and Lifeson are like; wow, look at Neil actually interacting with someone here.

I agree that that is a great picture and it conveys so much.

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Seriously fantastic picture, seeing Neil have actual contact with another human. The faces on everyone says it all.

What It Is

Reaction score
OT: Mike Edison's "Sympathy for the Drummer: Why Charlie Watts Matters" is excellent!