Neil Peart, Greatest Drummer Of All Time

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting the feeling that this site has gravitated towards Jazz and away from Ringo. It has always been anti Neil. Don't really understand the push back on Neil. He is a great ambassador for our passion.
I don't know, I see it a bit opposite, that the guys that push Neil do it at the expense of Buddy. They seem to always say Neil is better than Buddy and that gets the whole debate rolling. But maybe I'm seeing it from a Buddy point of view, I don't know.

Either way, I think it's a fun conversation and it shouldn't be taken as life and death. It's drumming after all.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
The other day I listened to Maurizio Pollini playing Chopin and it was just so moving and beautiful. Sometimes I just want to lose myself in music and forget everything I know about drumming. It helps me play drums.
This exactly describes my heart for music. When I listen, I don't want to think academically about the parts and pieces that assembled it. I want to enjoy it as a patron who knows nothing about the rules of music, rather than as a student. I want to let the music be its own single, indivisible, transcendent thing that carries me where music is supposed to.

Incidentally, my dad used to notice that some of his most productive "practice time" came from when he'd keep himself AWAY from the piano for a while.

When he'd sit down to play after a long time away, he noticed something had happened inside him that had worked up the piece to where it was better than the last time he'd played it.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record I’ve never stated “ at least seriously “ that Neil was the greatest .
No one is .
It always seems that Buddy is touted as the greatest no matter what .
And if you question it you are told to “ grow some ears “ ..
That’s how Buddy got into to this discussion is that someone else was granted that title .

I’m going to say that Marco Minneman can match Buddy Rich though ..

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I think apart from the "skills contest" (which will always prove difficult in swaying either drummer's loyalists), I see some interesting parallels between Buddy and Neil, which may explain why they always show up in each other's threads.

As someone pointed out, the largest difference seems to be generational.

Each man is his generation's icon of drumming, making his name playing that generation's favorite music style, and rising up with the reputation for having pushed himself (especially in chops) inside that style, until each man became a household name even among non-musicians. Yes, I know non-musicians who know who Neil is.

I also find it interesting that neither has a particularly cuddly reputation with fans, each in his own (perhaps sympathetic) way.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said it before about Neil, and the same thing is true about Buddy: The casual listener can hear them play and immediately know, "That guy is pretty good at the drums!" What they played was fairly straight ahead and relatable. The casual listener has no idea what Brian Blade or Terry Bozzio are playing, or why it's next level awesomeness.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Boy this is a strange thread. I love both Buddy and Neil for different reasons. I was never a RUSH fanatic but I do love RUSH and sometimes I'm in the mood to hear them on a long drive or something. They were part of my childhood and I have a lot of great memories associated with RUSH. I also love Buddy Rich as he had absolute full command of the instrument. To say that Buddy was just a chops fest at loud volume is such a gross injustice to his playing. I find that Buddy could be very musical and sensitive to the needs of the music. Buddy had incredible dynamics that he used perfectly with his bands and he played brushes beautifully. Would I like to see Buddy play RUSH tunes? No not really at all. But then again, I thought Neil sounded stiff as a board playing swing. Doesn't mean I like either of them any less. Heck Alex Van Halen is one of my all time favorite drummers and I thought his playing had swing to it. I owe so much to all of those great drummers because they all gave me inspiration.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Boy this is a strange thread. I love both Buddy and Neil for different reasons. I was never a RUSH fanatic but I do love RUSH and sometimes I'm in the mood to hear them on a long drive or something. They were part of my childhood and I have a lot of great memories associated with RUSH. I also love Buddy Rich as he had absolute full command of the instrument. To say that Buddy was just a chops fest at loud volume is such a gross injustice to his playing. I find that Buddy could be very musical and sensitive to the needs of the music. Buddy had incredible dynamics that he used perfectly with his bands and he played brushes beautifully. Would I like to see Buddy play RUSH tunes? No not really at all. But then again, I thought Neil sounded stiff as a board playing swing. Doesn't mean I like either of them any less. Heck Alex Van Halen is one of my all time favorite drummers and I thought his playing had swing to it. I owe so much to all of those great drummers because they all gave me inspiration.
I'm with you. Strange waters. I feel like some here are looking at drumming as Great Moments In Sports. I doubt we'd be having these knock-down, drag out threads about Nigel Olsson or Mick Fleetwood.

I'm puzzled by the vitriol that stems from why some feel that there is a "greatest" in the first place. When did so many people regress to a 6th grade mentality?

"My drummer can beat up your drummer".

Yawn.

Dan

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you ever heard Buddy play Fantasy by E,W&F or The Tommy Medley from The Who. you heard right away that he was not a rock drummer comfortable playing in straight time. And if you ever saw Neil play the recorded version of Cottontail, it was laughable. The GOAT is probably Steve Gadd who can make tied tin cans on the back of a car sound authentically musical. And I’m saying that with me listening to both Buddy and Neil way more than Steve.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Is Neil Peart really the greatest drummer of all time? Pointless website polls hoping to generate some revenue and initiate discussion aside, the short answer is no.

Is Buddy Rich the greatest drummer of all time? Although he was one of the pioneers of being a world famous drummer and we still talk about and revere him over thirty years since he died, again the short answer is no (but he's maybe considered a little more largely for the reasons I just stated).

Are both of them great drummers for their generations who bring their own unique gifts to the instrument? The answer is absolutely, yes.

Irrespective of whether either of them could drum in the others band, play a paradiddle faster, master odd times, play double bass drums, sing and write song lyrics, travel the world on motorbikes and write about it or simply just be nice to people. The fact is they've both entertained millions of people in their times, still do and will for many years to come.

They've made the music they helped to create feel and sound better and have managed to inspire new and even well established drummers to be better players. They are two greats who still manage to stand out in a pool of greats, the greatest ever, impossible to pick and ultimately, who cares?

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never heard this kind of swagger from Neil and I followed him from ‘74...

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Interesting thing about this in context is that those other two fine drumming fellows folks are quibbling about couldn't or maybe wouldn't....(who's to say?).....play that ditty with the swagger needed.
As quite fantastically either one could "play" the ditty, they would be constantly playing amazing fills, et al that could perplex air drummers for daze.....is that a goat.....no thanks.
bt

stuart s

Reaction score
Well Bonham is my pick, his Drumming DNA is all over the place, its in Neil too and countless other rock drummers, and Appice's drum DNA is in Bonham, so many great drummers, pick yur own Goat, dont be sheep.

e.g.

Reaction score
I am getting the feeling that this site has gravitated towards Jazz and away from Ringo. It has always been anti Neil. Don't really understand the push back on Neil. He is a great ambassador for our passion.
The author of this thread implied that Neil Peart was "The Greatest Drummer of All Time", I personally just don't believe that. Sure......"He is a great ambassador for our passion", but there are too many great drummers out there (living or not anymore) to say there is just one "Greatest"! Most popular..........Maybe!

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
The author of this thread implied that Neil Peart was "The Greatest Drummer of All Time", I personally just don't believe that. Sure......"He is a great ambassador for our passion", but there are too many great drummers out there (living or not anymore) to say there is just one "Greatest"! Most popular..........Maybe!
Dude, all I did was post a link that my brother sent to me. You guys all implied what you might about me.

As I have mentioned before, I am no fan of Buddy Rich, and it has nothing to do with his drumming ability. You search for my earlier post if you're curious as to why I dislike him.

As has already been posted numerous times, there is no best.

Last edited: