Neil Peart, Greatest Drummer Of All Time

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
As I said before:

Neil had the balls to play other styles of music. Buddy didn't. He played one style and that was it.

I don't ever recall hearing Buddy playing anything in odd times. Neil did it quite frequently.

Buddy was criticized for not being able to play double bass. So, he put out a video of himself doing so. Really? That was the only thing he played, and it wasn't even in a song.

Then, there is the video of Buddy denigrating matched grip when he obviously used it himself.

Yes, Buddy was a very good drummer. But, there are other things that caused him to lose my respect, and the respect of other drummers.

As a man and as a human being, Neil earned so much respect. Buddy...not so much.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Houndog: looks like your post and mine merged. Look, you may or may not agree with me, but there are ways of disagreeing. I'm not a jazz snob, and please don't call me one. All of those players are among my favorites.

Dan

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
DC Rigger , but they were 1st to really rock it out hard .....

I will admit my listening up until Rush was limited to AM Pop radio and just a few other classic rock bands .

So for me they were innovative.
Houndog - No They Weren't - They were just the first that you paid attention to. Big difference ***

*** see my comment above about listening to music released prior to 1981

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
As I said before:

Neil had the balls to play other styles of music. Buddy didn't. He played one style and that was it.
Oh my.... Buddy - a swing drummer of the 40's, played rock/pop/funk - and sounded mainly like a drummer from the big band band era doing. It wasn't horrible - but it wan't legitimate either. But kudos to him for the attempt.

Neil - very much a heavy rock drummer that dabbled in fusion stylings made attempts at playing swing (Cottontail) - was it passable? Barely. Was it atrocious? No. Legitimate? Actually it was just like Buddy's attempts at rock - that is really the closest parallel.

I don't ever recall hearing Buddy playing anything in odd times. Neil did it quite frequently.
The operative words there are "I don't recall". And since when is "playing odd meters" any part of the GOAT Drummer equation? And if it is - again, do some listening. Because Neils ventures into odd meters are no more than rudimentary. But anyway, yes, there are some odd meter offerings in Buddy's catalog. Not as many as Neil and even more rudimentary. But again none of this has saying much - heck, I've recorded more challenging odd meter tracks than either of them - and that doesn't qualify me for being the GOAT of anything.
Buddy was criticized for not being able to play double bass. So, he put out a video of himself doing so. Really? That was the only thing he played, and it wasn't even in a song.
So??? This has what to do with GOAT status - as again there are double bass players than can mop the floor with either Neil or Buddy.

Then, there is the video of Buddy denigrating matched grip when he obviously used it himself.
Again a big giant SO??? - I thought GOAT status had to do with playing... not opinions about playing. Also please - educate yourself - the old guys all played matched for tom based solos - it's a tympani influenced. The issue was using it for regular comping and snare work - a debate that still exists today.

You're really grasping here - again G O A T - the Greatest Of All Time - that's your claim about Neil - and this is part of your reasoning???

Yes, Buddy was a very good drummer. But, there are other things that caused him to lose my respect, and the respect of other drummers.
And again - are we talking GOAT - or guy you'd like to have a beer with.

As a man and as a human being, Neil earned so much respect. Buddy...not so much.
Depends on who you talk to - obviously many here don't share that sentiment at all. For me, I actually know loads of people that played and worked for Buddy and from those folks.... nothing but respect is all I ever hear. For everyone with a contrary opinion - formed without ever knowing the man - I always think of my grandmother. She just hated Don Rickles and just swore he was a horrible person - she didn't know him except for his public persona and just couldn't grasp that their could be more to it than that.

But again - are we talking personality contest - or GOAT.

Personally I think the very concept of GOAT applied to musicians is about as stupid of an idea as stupid can get. But IMO if you're going to do a head-on comparison between two players - it really helps to delve into BOTH player's playing - figure out what there's is to appreciate in each and do so as much as possible. Then take an overall knowledge of music - and other players - and try and fit the two into some kind of perspective - all with an attempt to leave personal attachments, favs, dislikes, etc at the door.

Because anything else - just reads like the Letters to the Editor section of Teen Beat magazine. :)

petereather

Reaction score
Many bands in the time where playing to pot heads I was one the hippy gen was high most of the time the music and the words seam to answer every body questions about life religion being . Pot does enhance the the experience this was perfect timing for that genre as did the folk Era big band jazz on on on .Rush did not do drugs or alcohol per say but many fans did . I don't think of Neil as the best drummer . I think of him as a good Man . Buddy family dont say bad things about him . Nobody is best just be a good man. Just saying

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
No matter. One side will not convince the other. That's the wonderous part of this drum forum.

Though, this thread is supposed to be a discussion about Neil.
No - this thread by its title is an attempt to affirm your belief that Neil Peart was the Greatest Drummer Of All Time.

If not - then why did you title it such????

petereather

Reaction score
We are all the best drummers . If its so easy then you do it , I think that drummers that can sing and play are are superb . Buddy didn't sing Neil didn't sing .

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
We are all the best drummers . If its so easy then you do it , I think that drummers that can sing and play are are superb . Buddy didn't sing Neil didn't sing .

But Buddy did sing, although usually not while playing drums.

buddy sings.jpg
buddy sings 2.jpg

Last edited:

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
No - this thread by its title is an attempt to affirm your belief that Neil Peart was the Greatest Drummer Of All Time.

If not - then why did you title it such????
I did not title it such. The article was titled that way. I just copied the title of the article. Makes me wonder whether you read the article that this thread is about.

Look, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The beauty of this forum is that we can all agree to disagree, whether you see it that way or not.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As I said before:

Brother, you are so off in this post. Especially the last sentence.