Neil Peart influence and Modern Drummer.

3sanmarco

Reaction score
MD better get the next issue right and pay the ultimate respect to Neil. I wish they would have asked (you and I) how he impacted us.
-- my Neil story. It was my first paying gig in an pop band we did a mix of oldies and modern songs. People were dancing away. Then we did Rocky Top Tennessee. Half way through the singer says " do a solo!" Well my only idea of a solo was YYZ. Started with the loudest flam! And went into a 3 to 4 minute crazy splashes,roto-toms, kicks,Tom's and yes I had woodblocks and bells!
All I remember afterward was looking up at everyone on the dance floor staring at me, like what was that? Too funny. I did not lose the gig, but I later learned to NOT do that, And to always keep the beat because they are dancing.
Neil- you are the greatest influence in my playing.
He mentioned Billy Cobham in MD as his major influence , well I started discovering fusion music and later Jazz ultimately. This was all due to Neil Peart..since his passing I've been listening to Rush every day via Amazon Music..sorry for such a long post but I had to get this out of my soul. Take care.

Attachments

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I gave up on Modern drummer and all the other drumming ragazines a long time ago. If it's a good issue though maybe I'll buy it. Too many advertisements these days.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I gave up on Modern drummer and all the other drumming ragazines a long time ago. If it's a good issue though maybe I'll buy it. Too many advertisements these days.
Ditto. At some point I began to see the actual art of playing drums from the perspective of each player articles were on was replaced by stuff about songs on albums (of bands I never heard of), or touring experiences, etc. Literally nothing about who, what, where, when, why and how of playing the instrument for these interviewees. I gave up. At least with Modern Drummer, anyway.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drumhead is the only one I'll turn to now - still great, in depth interviews, but I've stopped buying long ago. Aside from an issue here and there.

What It Is

Reaction score
Agreed on Drumhead, like the full length, in-depth interviews. Hope they don't lose that as it's the only thing that makes them unique. MD lost me years ago. Tough business though with too much competition a click of a button away.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I unboxed a long forgotten assortment of MD from the late 70s through late 80s, and was surprised with the number of short instructional features. I have one in the bathroom now with Bernard Purdie on the cover ('83 I think) and there are several solid short lessons from Garibaldi, Chafee, Morgenstein, and more. All easily digestible.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got all my old issues (80s/early 90s) when I subscribed and I will keep them. So many great articles of so many drummers. Unfortunately many have passed but their skillset and knowledge are still very valuable, especially when compared to all the clones these days.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the Digital Archive which goes from 1977 - 2002. So much great stuff in those issues...

Latest posts