Neil Peart retiring from drumming

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure why this keeps coming up when Neil announced it what, a year ago? Two? Perhaps it's people not wanting it to be true. He didn't just retire from touring with Rush, it was a pure "retirement". Since Geddy published his book on bass guitars, the question gets asked in every article I see about his book. Since Alex started recording with someone, it comes up in every article with him.

To me, it's lazy journalism. The news is already out there. He said it, and if he changes his mind everyone will hear it. Reminds me of Bruford being asked why he quit Yes decades after he had left.

Sorry - not venting at you but these articles keep coming up and rehash the same questions over and over. I suspect it will dog these guys till their end days.

He's retired. Period.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fake news!
Lol!!, I wish it was. I will miss his performances. He inspired alot of drummers.

Basil

Reaction score
1st time I heard that he's retiring from playing. But I don't follow news of them though. Perhaps you're right abt people not wanting it to be true. I for one would still like to experience a Rush concert

I'm not sure why this keeps coming up when Neil announced it what, a year ago? Two? Perhaps it's people not wanting it to be true. He didn't just retire from touring with Rush, it was a pure "retirement". Since Geddy published his book on bass guitars, the question gets asked in every article I see about his book. Since Alex started recording with someone, it comes up in every article with him.

To me, it's lazy journalism. The news is already out there. He said it, and if he changes his mind everyone will hear it. Reminds me of Bruford being asked why he quit Yes decades after he had left.

Sorry - not venting at you but these articles keep coming up and rehash the same questions over and over. I suspect it will dog these guys till their end days.

He's retired. Period.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Playing and performing are two separate issues. Just like sports teams. You have game day, and practise earlier.
Performing at that pace would cripple us old timers. Playing for fun, and staying loose is a whole new deal.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's the first I have heard that he's completely given up drumming. I assumed that maybe he would play in some capacity, maybe even record but not go on grueling tours playing that stuff for 3 hours a night. Sounds like he has totally given up drums, which just seems weird to me. I feel like I will play drums as long as I am physically able, even if I'm not playing music with a band and there's no one listening. I just like to go down into the basement and play the instrument from time to time personally.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
He went to Freddy Gruber hoping to see if the well was any deeper and that seemed to have put a breeze back into his sails . I mean, how many different ways can someone say the same thing ?

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

On December 7, 2015, Peart announced his retirement from music in an interview with Drumhead Magazine,[5] though bandmate Geddy Lee insisted Peart was quoted out of context, and suggested Peart was "simply taking a break".[6] However, in January 2018, bandmate Alex Lifeson confirmed that Rush was retiring due to Peart's health issues.[7]

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
He went to Freddy Gruber hoping to see if the well was any deeper and that seemed to have put a breeze back into his sails . I mean, how many different ways can someone say the same thing ?
After learning from Freddy, Neil continued on with Peter Erskine. Neil did what many didn't, which was always tried to improve.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
For whatever Freddy brought him, I’m glad it worked. He had been looking for that “breeze” for a while. Does anyone remember an interview from the late 80s where Neil said something like he felt he had learned everything there was about drumming and/or he had taken it as far as he could? I remember those comments polarizing a few people at the time.

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For whatever Freddy brought him, I’m glad it worked. He had been looking for that “breeze” for a while. Does anyone remember an interview from the late 80s where Neil said something like he felt he had learned everything there was about drumming and/or he had taken it as far as he could? I remember those comments polarizing a few people at the time.
I remember that time, but nothing so drastic. I recall he wanted to open some new doors and expand his vocabulary on the instrument.

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can see myself putting them away for good when I can’t play like I want , no looking back . I’m sure Neil has plenty to keep him occupied . Thanks for making my youth and beyond worthwhile Neil .

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe the sailor cap came with the yacht he likely bought and is spending time on touring the islands?
Its what I would be doing

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it's great. If you've reached a point at which you've achieved everything you want to achieve, continuing on can become a chore. What an amazing thing to be able to close one chapter of your life and open another. Most people don't get to do that. Imagine having that kind of success and being able to say, "what's next?"

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I've read all his books. He was ready. You could tell from his writing. I hope he doesn't stop writing. I truly believe he loves writing his travel books.

Latest posts