Neil Peart retiring from drumming

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've read all his books. He was ready. You could tell from his writing. I hope he doesn't stop writing. I truly believe he loves writing his travel books.
I'd like to see some reviews of any and all of his books.

As far as his retirement goes, that was announced. Neil's progression as a drummer has been very public, his getting jazz lessons after the Burning for Buddy thing is well-known. His recent retirement is something many will just get to learn as time progresses.

Neil's contributions to prog rock drumming are inestimable. As to whether he ever plays drums, even as a "civilian", that's a personal choice for him. I've heard that arthritis symptoms improve through use of the associated areas of the body. If he were to try to perform again, it would probably involve learning to change his techniques to the extent that there was lower impact to the arms shoulders etc. He has stated that he's always been a hard hitter. Drummers can utilize techniques that reduce the shock to the arms, etc. In any case whatever the future holds for Neil Peart, I wish him well, and have gratitude for his contributions to rock drumming.

I will always have fond memories of one of my first concerts, which was a 3-band lineup: Opening band was a very young Styx, with their new hit, "Lady". Second up was Rush, I had barely heard of Rush, my friend and fellow drummer Rex told me about Rush, and "All The World's A Stage" had just been released--This same stage setup was what I watched! The headliner was TED NUGENT! Free For All era.

I've seen Rush a few times after that 1st time, and have bought several albums. I'm a fan, more casual than I used to be. But I will always remember the cool Copper Slingerland set he played and the cool chimes sound after some of those tunes at the first time concert I saw of Rush. We were right up front, too! Nothing but great memories of Neil and Rush! The guy is a Mount Rushmore double-bass drummer for sure. (Although, many will wince at the fact that Ginger Baker belongs on the mountain as well!)

Tangent: The Beware of Mr. Baker flick has some Neil Peart clips of him being interviewed about how much of an influence Ginger was on Neil. We should honor all these drumming greats. Neil's been a great Ambassador for drumming over the years. He deserves recognition and the highest praise for his accomplishments!

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've read all his books. He was ready. You could tell from his writing. I hope he doesn't stop writing. I truly believe he loves writing his travel books.
Most of his "recent" writing about his travels are on his website. Though, I don't think he's added anything since he retired.

He also has two fiction books related to the Clockwork Angels CD.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Chrsk out the Eddie Trunk interview with Geddy Lee. No, it's not really "news" but I think somehow everyone thought Neal would change his mind.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I could easily believe Neil retired from Rush. Those guys might have been the biggest road dogs of all time. But quitting drumming altogether? Hard to buy that one. He'll drum again, some day.

NickCesarz

Reaction score
It'll be interesting as to whether Neil will continue to play a song or two with his friends in Vertical Horizon. He's recorded with them a few times.

Though, likely not.
I would love to hear another song with VH + Neil. I've actually enjoyed a lot of Matt's recent work, though it hasn't gotten a lot of attention. This video always puts a smile to my face.

Latest posts