Neil Peart's "Artstar" kit

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always hear of these being called the "Artstar prototype"?

Weren't these actually just the original 4 ply Superstar shell? 4 ply with rings.

bluejacketsfan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The story I got was that the Candy Apple Red set was maple, and thinner than the Supes were at that time.

I also heard that Tama wasn't happy AT ALL that he had the fiberglass put in them.

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know it's a pipe dream, and will never happen, given that he's got a sweet gig with DW that'll make him just about anything his heart desires...but part of me wishes he'd end his career with Tama.

He'd probably have a stipulation that they have to drop that d'bag Mike Portnoy from the roster.

And while we're pipe dreaming, go to Paiste!

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
jamesgdrummer said:
+1 on Neil going to Tama / Paiste, just like me!
+1, I'm a tama paiste guy too. So many great drummers are, Stewart Copeland, Dave Lombardo, Charlie Benante, ect.. Many more but just can't rememember.
Lombardo is with Ludwig-has been for a while. DDrum before that.

jamesgdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Imposing Will said:
+1, I'm a tama paiste guy too. So many great drummers are, Stewart Copeland, Dave Lombardo, Charlie Benante, ect.. Many more but just can't rememember.

I thought he recently went back to tama?

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
jamesgdrummer said:

I thought he recently went back to tama?

Did he? Good. I really believe that's where he belongs. Just goes to show how much pull Kevin Packard has-got Dave to leave Tama for DDrum (!), then follow him to Ludwig. Surprised he didn't go to Pearl.

Vanhalen1984

Reaction score
Mr. Lombardo is still with Ludwig. He is scheduled or a run of clinics across Europe this summer.

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since I inadvertently contributed to derailing the OP's thread, I'll try to bring it back.

Without digging into the details or timeline, the case could probably be made that the Artstars, with Peart's original involvement, and his subsequent departure from the Tama roster, became the basis for the original Starclassic line in the early 90s.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd like to see Neil revive Slingerland and play those again.

If anyone could bring that brand back it would be him.

A big Chrome over Wood set. model No. 2112 :)

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
dje31 said:
Since I inadvertently contributed to derailing the OP's thread, I'll try to bring it back.

Without digging into the details or timeline, the case could probably be made that the Artstars, with Peart's original involvement, and his subsequent departure from the Tama roster, became the basis for the original Starclassic line in the early 90s.
Tama wanted more Studio folks in their lineup but the studio folks wanted something more Gretsch-like, more vintage-y. Neil had been gone a long time before Starclassics came to be.

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He left around '87, if memory serves, and SCs showed up ~'91? Given all they did with the SCs, including their own take on isolated Tom mounts, it's not an unreasonable supposition or timeline.

I'll certainly grant you that they were aiming at a modern, updated take on Gretsch.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
& You Dont Stop said:
Are we talking about the Moving Pictures kit or the Grace Under Pressure kit?
The moving pictures and permanent waves kit was the rosewood superstar kit.

The candy apple red kit was the Artstar prototype. They were modified superstar shells. They were thinner with re-rings. I don't know if they were maple or birch. I do know that the badges were standard Superstar big T badges.

Latest posts