Nerves worse when you know people in the audience?

Barden

Reaction score
Why be nervous for cooworkers at your retirement party. Once you retire, you'll never see them again!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thinking about all this, I would hope that by the end of any gig EVERYONE there would know me - or at least what I was doing there that night as the drummer :)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've played gigs for coworkers and family/friends - no big deal. I still sucked!

My bigger issue is if it's YOUR retirement party, I'd be out mingling with your coworkers and have another band doing the gig! Congrats either way......

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My quick reply is yes I do get more nervous when there's people I know ( especially if it's a drummer!). I also can be more nervous if it's a small crowd.

stevesmithfan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I heard interview recently with Taylor Hawkins. He said he’s terrified to go onstage each night, but he’s playing sold out soccer stadiums in front of 100,000 people not a small club.
As for me I always get nervous.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I never get nervous playing in front of friends. I actually enjoy it, because it gets the old adrenaline flowing and I think it helps me play better.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
After playing for 35 years I generally don't get nervous when there are people in the crowd I know. Including those way better than me.

The one time I was REALLY nervous was when a drum teacher I recommend to all my customers showed up to watch me.

Stretch

Joe61

Reaction score
Can't say I get nervous before or during play, but the hard part of the gig is in between sets mingling with the audience. I don't have good social skills and if many friends are there I find the breaks to be awkward.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
The only thing that bothers me is my family...and and it hasn't been since the 70's that they sat in front of me. I don't worry about other musicians too much. Its not like I play licks I can't pull off in that situation; I just try to make the band sound good and up to par. I figure I have the gig and they don't! :)

Ghostin one

Reaction score
Same here, SteveB. I haven't really been nervous in a band situation for decades, but my parents showed up for a concert this summer and I was all messed up!

I guess I imagined them thinking that they put up with all the noise for years, and paid for lessons and gear, and THIS day was going to be the test to see if it was all worth it. I don't think they'd heard me play in decades. My dad came up with something nice to say: "I liked the blues song you guys did." HAhaha.

Ptrick

Reaction score
I don’t really get nervous, but when other musicians are in audience, I tend to up my game a bit, and find myself actually playing better most of the time. Like “hey, somebody who will GET IT!”

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't say nervous, I would say psyched or excited. At my annual gig in Maine in the summer where we go, pretty much know everybody
People dance, make requests and I think have a good time, but its summer and they are on vacation....which helps.....alot.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I am not nervous unless a drummer I know who is way above my level is watching. Luckily they are likely to be working elsewhere.
This how I feel at various blues jams. However, regardless of skill level, mine or theirs, the love and support is there both ways.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Even if someone you know who is a better drummer than you, does it really matter? They are not likely going to care one way or the other. I know I wouldn't. It is what it is. There all kinds of folks at all different levels. Just enjoy the music, like they probably are.

Latest posts