Nesting drums

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I regularly do exactly what you're planning with an INDe RESoArmor kit. There are a few factors that made life easier for me:

- INDe drums are crazy light, so even nested together they're not too heavy.

- I could get custom very shallow sizes ordered from INDe, which made the whole thing that much lighter and low profile. INDe drums are a great value, so it wasn't too pricey despite the custom nature.

- A RESoArmor finish is pretty indestructible, so I can go without cases, just using some foam I got from a local upholstery supply store to cushion the insides during transport.

- I cut the reso heads with sharp scissors, leaving about 1/2" left to hold on the bottom rims. The toms look totally normal, and I put a bass drum head on a little stand about an inch in front of the bass drum, so it also looks pretty normal. INDe drums are resonant enough that there's no huge loss without reso heads. Also, if I ever want to configure it as a "normal" kit, I have that option, with no extraneous hinges, shell splits, deep depths, etc.

It's a very convenient approach that has saved me lots of time and effort.

Last edited:

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
If you can't afford Inde drums, the best solution for portability is 60's vintage drums. Thin shells, lightweight mounts and spurs. Ludwig, Slingerland, Camco, et al. 18 /12/14 or 20 /12/14. You could pick them up and schlep them with no effort at all. I remember them well, because I played them back in the day!
Problem is, they've become so desirable, it's hard to find a cheap deal on them unless they're in ratty condition.

Drums have gotten so heavy. My Tama Silverstar bop drums are small in size, but the suckers are not lightweight. Big massive tom mount and spurs, heavy shells, nothing like the great old vintage drums.

Latest posts