header.nohb.html

Never heard that before

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tonight I subbed with a tenor sax/bass/drums/guitar quartet. Got the call from the drummer, and didn't know anyone in the band. They didn't throw anything too odd at me, but I learned some new songs. As you'd expect, the first set involved getting a feel for each other and I was pleasantly surprised. They are all really good, and we were swinging hard pretty quickly. It was still a surprise when the guitarist turned to me after the 3rd or 4th song and said, "You're really fun!"

I've gotten my share of compliments over the last 60 years or so, but never heard that one before. I've had a rough couple of days with another band, so that gave me a lift, as did playing the rest of the night. And on one break he and the sax said they liked the sound of my cymbals, a '59 A medium, 70s A medium sizzle, and 14" Newbeats.

Really nice Saturday night, even though I drove 70 miles each way for small but acceptable bread. And in seven hours I'll be up again to drive 35 miles to my brunch trio gig. Not bad for 74 years old, eh? Life is good.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not bad at all Paul. I just finished a fun Sunday Jazz Brunch gig and for me nice guys make for a nice gig. I don't need need egos or attitude in my waning years :)

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul, I think what the guitarist might have meant was he liked your grove. I got a similar complement from one of the better bass players in town, stating it was fun playing to my grove. When a band begins to ride on the same rail, so to speak, that's when it becomes fun.

Glad you enjoyed your evening,
sherm

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tonight I subbed with a tenor sax/bass/drums/guitar quartet. Got the call from the drummer, and didn't know anyone in the band. They didn't throw anything too odd at me, but I learned some new songs. As you'd expect, the first set involved getting a feel for each other and I was pleasantly surprised. They are all really good, and we were swinging hard pretty quickly. It was still a surprise when the guitarist turned to me after the 3rd or 4th song and said, "You're really fun!"

I've gotten my share of compliments over the last 60 years or so, but never heard that one before. I've had a rough couple of days with another band, so that gave me a lift, as did playing the rest of the night. And on one break he and the sax said they liked the sound of my cymbals, a '59 A medium, 70s A medium sizzle, and 14" Newbeats.

Really nice Saturday night, even though I drove 70 miles each way for small but acceptable bread. And in seven hours I'll be up again to drive 35 miles to my brunch trio gig. Not bad for 74 years old, eh? Life is good.
Sometimes bringing a different approach to songs a band or plays regularly is a refreshing change for the band.