J

jaymandude

thanks for playing along

Last edited by a moderator:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
where's your items/ ie Link/ I'll tell ya what they're worth to me .. (serious wheres your links

what is it "Jay Mans Hut" - where do they get those names.

Last edited:

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I think it depends, are you posting items for sale at 160.00 with make offer, if so, then I see nothing wrong with offering whatever one wants. I made what I considered a bona fide low ball offer at audiogon on a nice integrated tube amp, I thought at best they would come back with like a 100.00 less or just ignore me.
THEY TOOK IT. No counter or anything. I now have it and it comes with a life time warranty.

So you never know.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with drawtheline55. If a listing has a Make An Offer" option, it signals to me that the seller isn't necessarily expecting potential buyers to bite at the listed price. It shouldn't open the floodgates to low-ball offers but it's not always clear to me where that line begins. I would expect more low offers at this time with buyers realizing that some sellers are a bit more desperate for cash, with fewer potential buyers in the market.

Tanabata

Reaction score
On Reverb, I frequently get 50% offers. At first I was shocked, but now I just laugh, say thanks, and make a counter-offer (the price I can live with). I view Reverb as the opposite of eBay..... on Reverb the prices come down, or if not, I just put my lowest price up first and don't leave a "make an offer" option.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Reverb, I frequently get 50% offers. At first I was shocked, but now I just laugh, say thanks, and make a counter-offer (the price I can live with). I view Reverb as the opposite of eBay..... on Reverb the prices come down, or if not, I just put my lowest price up first and don't leave a "make an offer" option.
This. A low-ball offer is nothing to get upset about. Those people will always be around. I do likewise -- laugh, and submit a realistic counter-offer. It's telling that those people almost never end up actually buying, even after a couple rounds of counter, and counter-counter offers.

Conversely, I always use the "make offer" option on my listings and I'm surprised how many people either don't notice it or don't bother. Then again, sometimes I'll have a listing I know is a really good deal for the buyer, and I'll get an offer moments after listing, only to have it get snapped up at full price a bit later -- sometimes by the same person! Apparently they get to thinking about the fact it's a good deal, and can't wait for my counter-offer, and risk someone else coming along.

andlours

Reaction score
..... there are settings to reject offers below a certain threshold or not accept them at all. Not to be a jerk, but learn to use ebay/reverb rather than blindly accusing/complaining about fellow DFO members.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's the issue. Someone has to absorb the 6.4% Reverb/PP fees, 5-9% state sales tax, and shipping ($15-$35 typical).

I have a 22" A Zildjian vintage thin ride cymbal up for $135 (<2500 gm). Such a cymbal is really worth in the $125-$150 range....but doesn't mean you can end up with that. I'd happily take $115-$120 locally for it. I was offered $100 and $115 recently on Reverb by 2 prospective buyers. After all the fees those offers will cost the buyers $137-$152. More than enough imo. Almost too much. Yet I would net $94 / $105 on a pretty desirable cymbal. There's little in between room here for buyers and sellers to work. For regular stuff, Reverb is tough to make work....unless you just want to dump stuff at what the market will pay.

For expensive and hard to find vintage items not such a problem. I recently sold a mint original 60's snare drum for a total of $463 all-in to the buyer. I netted $363 (78.4%) which doesn't include any labor, packing supplies, and driving 25 miles round trip to drop it off at UPS. I'd much rather have sold it locally for $350-$400 but there are no such buyers out there....they haven't been around since fall of last year. In this case the drum wasn't even up for a day before I had serious interest. Not enough time for low ballers to show up and offer me $225-$300....lol. As a rule, not too many low ballers....just buyers factoring in all their extra costs above the listed price and expecting/hoping the seller will eat them all.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figure out what you would want for the item, an accurate s/h amount, and the costs of fees + paypal, and THEN price it accordingly. You can have a "make offer" or not, set a threshold to weed out joke offers or look at each one, whether you laugh, get mad, etc. (I don't waste my time or sanity doing that).

It's not rocket science and because there's billions of people out there, you hopefully get someone who's legit and will pay timely and not nit pick. Along those likes, make sure you photo/describe well so no later returns or tire kickers.

The ones I can't stand are the sellers who sell items, then realize after fees and s/h they are getting much less than they wanted/expected! So they try and weasel out of deals or cancel them......

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Normally I don't think twice about low ballers, they're a normal part of online selling. I make a counter offer, and they accept or decline, whatever. but one time recently I had a guy not only make a low offer on the asking price, but he wanted free shipping from US to Australia! I took the time to tell him why I was declining his offer.