Never seen a drum like this

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well the tension rod goes through the hoop the bottom has hooks that wrap around the shell so when you tighten it it pulls the hoop and head down if that makes sense.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bottom claw curves inward like vintage marchers, but the upper claw curves outward over the hoop.....talk about janky!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the life of me, I can't figure out how one would tighten the tension on the head. Looks like everything is welded together. Plus, the tension rods go through the head collar. Bizarre.

Frame drum with an interesting tensioning system.
The tension rod fits into the hook at the bottom of the shell, by going through the hoop. :oops:
The metal pieces that appear to be a claw are actually washers.
Looks like they're protecting the wood from damage.
Could be the hoop is made from a soft(er) wood.
Screw the tension rod down, works similar to how a BD hoop tensions the head.
Interesting concept. Seems like someone didn't have lugs, or couldn't make the lugs they had work (because of such a short shell) so they figured out a different way to do it.
Cool drum...wonder what it sounds like.

Elvis

Redfern

Reaction score
It’s a tambourine...that someone has jankily made work by drilling the flesh hoop to allow the tension rods to go through.

In addition, they’ve stuck nuts next to the rods to push the head further down to tension the head correctly.

Not sure that it’s worth messing with.

If it had the correct tamb head it’d be neat, but...nah...

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a tambourine...that someone has jankily made work by drilling the flesh hoop to allow the tension rods to go through.

In addition, they’ve stuck nuts next to the rods to push the head further down to tension the head correctly.

I think this is a case of measuring "drum diameter" at the hoop.
It has a coated Ambassador on it. Chances are good its 11 7/8" diameter at the shell.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sure looks like a hack to me. Epoxie setting ring on the head had to be drilled to pass tension rods through. Intersting piece though, I might buy it at a yard sale if it sounded good, it's ebay starting price is already beyond yard sale money.

robthedrummer

Reaction score

Basically, it's some sort of old child's drum, missing the bottom head and the wood bottom hoop. Because there's no hoop for the single tension claws, he put them on the shell. Now, they don't allow for the thickness of the flesh hoop, so the guy's wonky fix is to drill through the top hoop and the head flesh hoop. You're right about the nuts added to help get a tighter tension on the head.

Just a bizarre fix. I'll never see this particular drum hack again.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ROB'S ON IT!!!^^^

That's exactly what we're seeing.
Good call Rob. You're The Man. :thumbup:

...another thing we're all missing....the tension rods go through the head itself. He must've punched holes through it.
Like Rob said, Wonky fix.

Elvis