New 6.5 Brass Shootout- Blind Audio Thread

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I just completed another brass shootout, and before I post the video, I wanted to post some blind audio to see what people liked and preferred and which drum they chose.

There are five drums in this shootout, in no particular order

Oriollo Encore 1mm Spun Brass
Vintage Pearl COB with Parallel Strainer
Pearl Sensitone
Ludwig Black Beauty
Q Plate Brass

In the audio file, you will hear each drum back to back...so you have five or snares off hits for each drum, five or so snares on for each drum, a roll for each drum, and a groove for each drum. The groove portion for each is four bars.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. And lets see if anyone can guess which is which.

I should mention also each drum is setup with ambassador/hazy and there's three tunings

pete

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i liked 1, 3 and 4 but think 3 is my favorite.

actually after listening again, i'm liking 4 the most.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really appreciate you doing this as a blind shootout. Sometimes I feel like I can be biased by what I see, especially if it's a drum that has a longstanding reputation as a favorite workhorse snare by many players. I plugged a nice set of Sony headphones into my computer and listened to each sample several times. Hands down, I liked #1 the best. Snares 2 and 3 had some overtones that didn't sit well with my ears. I think #4 would be my second choice but it was significantly below #1. I don't have much experience with the snares you sampled so I won't even begin to fathom which is which. I am very much looking forward to learning which snare was #1 for the file posted.

Thanks for doing these shootouts!

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
cochlea said:
I really appreciate you doing this as a blind shootout. Sometimes I feel like I can be biased by what I see, especially if it's a drum that has a longstanding reputation as a favorite workhorse snare by many players. I plugged a nice set of Sony headphones into my computer and listened to each sample several times. Hands down, I liked #1 the best. Snares 2 and 3 had some overtones that didn't sit well with my ears. I think #4 would be my second choice but it was significantly below #1. I don't have much experience with the snares you sampled so I won't even begin to fathom which is which. I am very much looking forward to learning which snare was #1 for the file posted.

Thanks for doing these shootouts!
It's facisnating to me how our perceptions determine our preferences. It's always fun to do these blind first. In the aluminum shootout, a specific drum was a resounding I like that best...but when I released the video there suddenly was A bunch of people saying they liked the most expensive one best. Maybe a coincidence, but I doubt it. Just was kind of funny to me

Regarding these five drums listed the construction on them is quite different. I find the ones built the same way to share similarities.

Of course this is all subjective...the sound people hear in the head is different for everyone. That's one thing I've learned from doing these. :)

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First choice #1, second choice #4. I won't begin to guess which is which, just that I liked 1 and 4. 2 and 3 sounded hollow, 5 sounded EQ'd if that makes any sense. FWIW, I own a 6.5" Pearl Brass Sensitone (pre-Elite).

thumpy

Reaction score
The only one I didn't like was #2. 3 and 4 were my favorites.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ooh, I love these, thanks for making another one!

Here are my thoughts.

Drum #1:
I liked this one best on all tunings. It had no unwanted overtones and was nice and thick sounding and worked equally well on all tunings.

Drum #2:
On low tuning I didn't care for this one, it sounded tad hollow and the snares felt too loose so the drum and snare sound felt bit too separated. On medium and high tunings this sounded quite good, I liked the attack of this one.

Drum #3:
Sounded quite similar to #1 but not as thick. Worked on all tunings, but always felt that I liked #1 better. Useful and nice, but bit basic sounding. Maybe the bottom end was not as fast and tight as on the #1, making it bit unfocused on the low and medium tunings.

Drum #4:
This one felt bit dry and short to me, especially on higher tunings. Would probably be great for anything you need clear articulation, jazz etc. Sounded good, but not ideal on these beats/tempos, where you need more "GOOOSH". :D

Drum #5:
Interesting! this one changed character the most, depending on the tuning.
I loved it tuned low, there was nice bottom end and good amount of highs too to make it cut through. But the higher the tuning went, the more high end started to dominate making it bit shrill sounding to me. Might be great studio drum, where high end is usually good just as long there is bottom too.
Loved it low, didn't care too much about it when it was high.
Did this one have die cast hoops? The attack on the higher tunings was much more trebly and aggressive compared to others.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My order of preference

1 (My guess is this is the Pearl because it sounds dry like an aluminum drum, which Sensitones seem to do.)
5 (well behind the others)

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Personally, I liked 3 and 4 and the tone of 1, although I felt 1 was a little dry from behind the kit. A little too focused for my tastes but recorded nicely. 2 was just ok for me and 5 I thought sounded ok at low but I hated the tone in the medium and high. Just wasn't musical to me.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I dig 3 and 4 on the medium and high tunings. 3 was my overall favorite. My own ear can't stand the low tunings on any of them. To much after bwoooooonggga (yep, it's a technical term. Look it up.). 5 was pretty consistently bwoooooongggy throughout the tunings and I just didn't care for it. 1 and 2 were ok but, meh.

All that said, very cool post! I'm curious as to what the snares matched up with numberwise.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not going to pick a favorite, but I think the lower tunings are where drums either make it or don't. It's important for a brass drum to be able to function as a wild child at lower pitches but also be able to be tuned so it's controlled at lower tunings if that's what you're looking for. It's easy for a brass drum to sound sloppy and loosey goosey at lower tunings, but more of a challenge to reign in the twang and groans if you want to. Higher tunings? Meh. You crank a snare high and a lot of things just start sounding similar.