New 602 Mediums & Heavy's

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
Was wondering if any one has purchased and is using the new Paiste 602 Medium's and Heavy's as rides and how that's working?

Seems like every sound file is a crescendo roll following by a lot of bashing. Tells me next to nothing about the cymbal's character.

Thanks

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

lot of them

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
Hey Foxy: Thanks. I've seen these already. The Boston Drum center is outstanding (as always) In the other video the cat is only crashing the 16 and 18, not riding them.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
22" Medium would be great.
Search Engines don't like short model names. Trying to find a 22" medium (not ride), I was successful only after typing "medium cymbal" in quotation marks:

Interesting mode designation here:

cdrummer

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time with these at NAMM one morning before it got too loud in the hall, and they are very nice. In fact, if I could only have one set of cymbals, it would likely be the new 602 mediums, as they would work well across many different styles. The 20" medium also did not have any compromises in that the stick, bell, and crash were all great, which I haven't found to be the case for other cymbals that aim at versatility.

My only reservation is that while they work very well across styles, they are somewhat innocuous and lack a strong sonic signature/character that you have in some other cymbals (e.g. Agop or the old Paiste Sound Creations). That's a matter of personal taste, but for me personally, it's what is keeping me from going for these right now.

Also, the heavy 20" was just as nice as the medium, but not as crashable.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm eagerly hoping that a 22" heavy will be added at some point. A local shop had a blue label 21" heavy awhile back that I really, really liked. The slightly lower pitch of a 22" would have been perfect.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got the 20" heavy and the 14" heavy hats. Finally had a chance to try them out yesterday. Love them! The 20" did give me a bit of stick shock, but I probably need to adjust my technique after playing 22s for so long.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got the 20" heavy and the 14" heavy hats. Finally had a chance to try them out yesterday. Love them! The 20" did give me a bit of stick shock, but I probably need to adjust my technique after playing 22s for so long.
Were you using the 20” Heavy as a ride or crash or both ?