New A&F Hi-Hat Stand

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idon’t get the reason to have a folding system. First it appears the top section doesn’t fold flat so that means it will take up more space than a detachable top. Secondly, the actual folding linkage will wear around the pins as inevitably the top will bend back a bit every time you pick it up. So it’s gonna get sloppy in no time. I really don’t mind the 15 seconds it takes me to screw in the top rod on a conventional stand.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first thing A&F has made that makes sense to me. If they're still around when I need to replace my DW5500 I'll definitely consider one. I do agree with dboomer that the rivets in the folding link are likely to loosen and cause sloppy action over time, but by the time I need a stand they'll have either worked that out or the company will be history.

Ncrhythmman

Reaction score
Very Innovative / Will be looking into getting one of those...

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be worth the cost if it allows you to travel with a smaller, lighter hardware bag.
The hi-hat stand is the primary reason I have a long hardware bag that weighs a ton even with nothing in it.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A very cool stand indeed. Love the red felts, footplate and the folding feature. Pretty brilliant I´d say.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some of us like sports cars and others
plain old sedans. So here's my thoughts on Hats. For years I played a Yamaha lightweight non adjustable, non directional steel hat. Although it had double braced legs it was light buy any standard. It worked great but I came across a very heavy, tension adjustable Hat that I thought would out perform anything out there .. for $65 Canadian. Now, I play Blues, Jazz and Soft Rock nothing
heavy but for the life of me the Premier which was over $200 new compared to $100 for the Yamaha both worked the same but the Premier was a brute weight wise.
Two years ago I bought the Yamaha Crosstown Aluminum lightweight kit $500 Can. The Hat can be picked up with two fingers and totally folds up to about 14in in length and fits into a cloth sleeve about 4in in diameter.. as do the two cymbal stands and snare basket. So the 4 pcs and their made to travel bag weigh 24lbs. I know you Rockers want heavy and angle and tension adjustable Hats but do you really need them ? And if you want "the H.D. Chrome look" then the unit pictured is the way to go. Just weighing in cause the Crosstown hat and kit are very well made and "oh so light !" When individually purchased locally the Hat is under $120 Can.

fredpasta

Reaction score
You'd think they would address one of my complaint, and others I'm sure ... that floppy foot board. It wouldv'e been very clever if that snapped into something, somehow. AND ... why doesn't some company come out with a snare basket that has one arm offset by an inch? There is ALWAYS one arm that lands smack dab on one of the tension rods. Pretty simple fix if you ask me. Go ahead ... ask me.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I suspect in 2-3 years, you'll be calling it 'Ol' Squeeky'

Pass. Sorry, make that a hard pass. Too many really good hi hats out there for me to mess with this.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought "another bent hi-hat stand thread"?

:p

Looks interesting, I can see how this would appeal to many. I would want to play it first, I'm not sure I would warm up to it, it seems awkward to me just looking at it.

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
Little skeptical of the ares where the legs pan out to the flat ends! Lot of bends and flattening. Looks thin. Time will tell if the ends hold up!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at it folded up, I don't see any saved space. The length is shorter of course, but the whole thing becomes an unwieldy, bulky, metal clump in any hardware bag or case... wider than most HH stands with their legs folded up... so no real benefit.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What's the benefit of the folding mechanism? Regular hi hat stands already come apart at the same location, and they don't put a ton of torquing stress on the pull rod when you put them into your hardware case. This is a solution in search of a problem, IMO.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some of us like sports cars and others
plain old sedans. So here's my thoughts on Hats. For years I played a Yamaha lightweight non adjustable, non directional steel hat. Although it had double braced legs it was light buy any standard. It worked great but I came across a very heavy, tension adjustable Hat that I thought would out perform anything out there .. for $65 Canadian. Now, I play Blues, Jazz and Soft Rock nothing
heavy but for the life of me the Premier which was over $200 new compared to $100 for the Yamaha both worked the same but the Premier was a brute weight wise.
Two years ago I bought the Yamaha Crosstown Aluminum lightweight kit $500 Can. The Hat can be picked up with two fingers and totally folds up to about 14in in length and fits into a cloth sleeve about 4in in diameter.. as do the two cymbal stands and snare basket. So the 4 pcs and their made to travel bag weigh 24lbs. I know you Rockers want heavy and angle and tension adjustable Hats but do you really need them ? And if you want "the H.D. Chrome look" then the unit pictured is the way to go. Just weighing in cause the Crosstown hat and kit are very well made and "oh so light !" When individually purchased locally the Hat is under $120 Can.
To each his own I guess. I really don’t like the Crosstown hihat for two reasons; feels too light, not spring adjustable plus I find it butt ugly. Ok, that was three reasons :)

I use the Tama Classic flat based stand, adjustable, light and cheap at $99.

But I dig the A&F design.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
You'd think they would address one of my complaint, and others I'm sure ... that floppy foot board. It wouldv'e been very clever if that snapped into something, somehow. AND ... why doesn't some company come out with a snare basket that has one arm offset by an inch? There is ALWAYS one arm that lands smack dab on one of the tension rods. Pretty simple fix if you ask me. Go ahead ... ask me.
I know I’ve seen it. I think Tama makes snare stand with an offset arm on it.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the stand. But, I would need to check out that hinge to the rod up close. If that hinge is metal to metal contact it may loosen over time. Other than that and maybe some ball bearings in the footplate to the heel plate, I would buy one.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The folding hinge is neither a new nor an especially good idea. I bought a Yamaha mid-weight hi-hat in Japan back in the early 80s that had that folding feature. As noted, when folded it's more cumbersome in the hardware case than a normal one that you take apart. Also - and this was the big deal for me - that hinge is an accident waiting to happen; over time, unfolding and folding it up after every gig is gonna wear out that hinge unless it's made by NASA or to some kind of insane mil specs. I gave mine away just to get rid of it.

Honestly I don't understand guys who can't be bothered to fold up/collapse their stands or who deliberately carry their drums around unprotected because they can't be bothered to zip and unzip a bag. How much trouble is that compared to the potential damage you're avoiding?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The folding hinge is neither a new nor an especially good idea. I bought a Yamaha mid-weight hi-hat in Japan back in the early 80s that had that folding feature. As noted, when folded it's more cumbersome in the hardware case than a normal one that you take apart. Also - and this was the big deal for me - that hinge is an accident waiting to happen; over time, unfolding and folding it up after every gig is gonna wear out that hinge unless it's made by NASA or to some kind of insane mil specs. I gave mine away just to get rid of it.

Honestly I don't understand guys who can't be bothered to fold up/collapse their stands or who deliberately carry their drums around unprotected because they can't be bothered to zip and unzip a bag. How much trouble is that compared to the potential damage you're avoiding?
Tangent here, but I'm not sure the wear and tear on hardware constantly being broken down and stuffed in a bag together is any better. I have a set of Pearl 800 (I think) series hardware that's in fairly rough shape, particularly with the chrome where friction has occurred. Getting rained on and spending much of its life in non air conditioned space in Texas didn't help either. But metal on metal contact inside a hardware bag is a recipe for chrome failure down the road, in my opinion. I don't what's better, but I personally see hardware bags as a means of easier transport rather than protection.

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A few decades ago, I had a folding hi-hat. I felt that the action was a bit sloppy. I could feel lag.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
To each his own I guess. I really don’t like the Crosstown hihat for two reasons; feels too light, not spring adjustable plus I find it butt ugly. Ok, that was three reasons :)

Ok educate m

Ok educate me here. As regards being too light are you referring to the tension spring or the overall weight of the Hat ? If it's the overall wt. then it's great for me and others who hate heavy hardware. And with those big rubber feet it stays in place. If it's the spring I don't get it. If your mainly a Rock drummer then your playing 99% toe down to keep hat closed. Doesn't it make it easier to do with a lighter spring ? If your a Jazz/Pop/Swing head like me the light tension is great as it allows me to do the rapid open/close as fast as I do on the Kick. Great for endings.
Please explain. As for looks, more people, other drummers included have complimented me on my Cross Town hardware look and of course the super lightweight. I hauled it to numerous gigs and no problems. Locking rings on Hat and Cymbal stands are the best iv'e owned in 65 years +.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !