New A Zildjians; A 390 Box set review

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up the Zildjian A 390 cymbal pack recently: 14 New Beat hats, 16 and 18 Medium Thin crashes, and 20 Medium Ride.

These can be found all over the web for $680; but I got mine at a local Guitar Center for substantially less, and I got to hear them first.

I've been playing K's for 30 years; a real Istanbul K; then Canadian K's; then EAK's; then IAK's; now the modern K's that were redesigned about year 2000. I've been very happy with my two current sets: two 20 rides, one with sizzles; two different 18 Medium thins; and two 14 K Light hats. Very versatile, not too dark or mellow, but not too bright or clangy.

But I've been hankering for the classic A sound; all the great '50's thru '70's jazz and R&B sounds. I tried a set of Armands a few years ago, but didn't care for them.

I've played my new A's on some low volume jazz gigs, a very loud blues/rock gig, and a couple of small big-band hits. I'm very pleased, they've got the right vibe, a kind of Grady Tate/Micky Roker/Bernard Purdie/big band/'70's rock sound. Pretty much just what I was looking for.

Like all Zildjians, some are better than others, and I can see that I might go through more of these to pick out the keepers, as I did with my current sets of K's. But this box set is a great way to get into a classic Zildjian sound for not much more than you'd spend on used cymbals. Very good bang for the buck, in my opinion.

theneonguy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great advice KB! I'm an A Zildjian man myself. And very happy with my sound. I ear-matched all my cymbals, and added some fantastic-sounding Sabians and Paiste Signatures to the collection over the years, for some extra variety, but all I feel is true luv for my good old As. Rock ON, bro!

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
ive had As since i started playing
tried Ks Sabians, Paiste 2002 and Signature

still prefer the classic A sound

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
I own a few A's and A Customs that I love.. no you cannot beat a great sounding A.. Zildjian to me diluted their brand, I don not like the K, K Custom nor any other line except in my opinion the A lines.. its what they do best!!!

gerry

Doosh

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's a good deal for those cymbals, too! There's a pack out there some are offering for around $900 that includes 17 and 19 Dark Thin crashes, 15 light hi hats and a 22 k light right. I'm not usually a box pack kind of guy, but I'm sure thinking about getting that and selling the hats...

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
kip said:
ive had As since i started playing
tried Ks Sabians, Paiste 2002 and Signature

still prefer the classic A sound
Man, I can't agree more. I started w/regular A's about 28 years ago, and while I do enjoy and appreciate some occasional variety (A Custom/K Custom/the odd Sabian or Paiste) NOTHING sounds better to these ears than classic A. It's funny--a guy on my local CL was selling a bunch of newish A crashes recently, and I was reminded pretty quickly how different they all were, even tho I went thru about 4 18 inch med thin crashes and 4 17's. I found one of each that I loved, the rest?....meh.

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...
Reaction score
kb said:
But I've been hankering for the classic A sound; all the great '50's thru '70's jazz and R&B sounds. I tried a set of Armands a few years ago, but didn't care for them.

I've played my new A's on some low volume jazz gigs, a very loud blues/rock gig, and a couple of small big-band hits. I'm very pleased, they've got the right vibe, a kind of Grady Tate/Micky Roker/Bernard Purdie/big band/'70's rock sound. Pretty much just what I was looking for.
Glad to hear the cymbals have a broad dynamic range. Also, nice shout out to Micky Roker. Great drummer!! I really enjoy his work with Lee Morgan on the "Live at the Lighthouse" set. His ride sits on top and I always suspected (just from the recording) it was a Zildjian A (medium ride maybe?) but never looked it up.

Latest posts