New album finished (extreme metal)

scottpep

Reaction score
Blast beats and screaming so you are warned if you don't like this stuff hahaha

My metal band finished up getting our new CD mixed / mastered finally. I took a few of the clips from recording and put them over one of the new tracks. (Video editing is not my specialty) I am pretty happy with how everything turned out musically.

I like gigging this stuff, but lately I want to just groove and playing shuffles and funky beats. It will be interesting where our next album goes. I am assuming much slower, our vocalist wants to scream less and I don't want it to be a cardio workout.

You can follow us on our facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Dissolutionca if you enjoy it.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DANG DUDE!!!!!! That is precise, tight and surgically clean! I am blown away... and the kick blast beats at 4:00 and 4:12 are flawless. I may not own any "screamo" but I can sure appreciate when it's played well and you killed it!

scottpep

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch. As I age I can do without the screaming myself. haha. This music requires so much work on speed and endurance I find there are other areas that need work. Myself am jealous of a thick pocket or groove more and more which is where I spend my time practice. My ultimate goal is go get into a funk or jazz band one of these days.

I'm doing heel toe with triggers on the kick. So there would be some inconsistency if it wasn't triggered. It still sounds good, but the volumes of the second hit sometimes vary a tad. in the mid tempo parts I used single kicks. I know in the really fast parts the bass drums were edited or gridded. As much as I would like credit for being THAT tight no human is. I still play this stuff live and it's close. I also have some videos on my playing this unedited however if anyone doesn't believe it :p.

Heel toe is actualy SUPER easy once you get it down. It feels as easy as playing half time single strokes. So 240 16th notes on the kick as singles would be pretty dang fast, but playing 1/8 notes, or 120 singles is no problem for most people. The guitarist in my band can do it. A lot of it comes down to pedal settings.

Here is a video of me ironing out the 10 minute song, (that we made a bit longer) before going into the studio. No edits, plenty of mistakes, no fancy mixing etc. It picks up tempo around 2:50 and there is some fast heel toe in that solo section.

Here are a few tutorials I made over the years on heel toe. After a month or 2 of practice I was able to play double kick faster than I could play singles.

Reactions: bob

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like FD, I am not a fan of that type of music, but, Scott, you absolutely NAILED the drum parts in that song. Wow! That is some incredible bass drum work. ALL the work in that song is fantastic. Good job, my man.

And I pity your poor singer. He's going to destroy his vocal chords doing that kind of abuse to them. On the other hand, whatever he has left after that kind of performance will likely be nice and juicy for funk or soul music.

Good luck to you guys.

GeeDeeEmm

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
like other have said ... not a fan of that kind of music .... but your drumming is incredible ....
i like your videos on the double pedal too .... great stuff

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Like FD, I am not a fan of that type of music, but, Scott, you absolutely NAILED the drum parts in that song. Wow! That is some incredible bass drum work. ALL the work in that song is fantastic. Good job, my man.

And I pity your poor singer. He's going to destroy his vocal chords doing that kind of abuse to them. On the other hand, whatever he has left after that kind of performance will likely be nice and juicy for funk or soul music.

Good luck to you guys.

GeeDeeEmm
There is a technique to "singing" that style of music. If he knows it, his vocal chords won't suffer any damage.

scottpep

Reaction score
There is a technique to "singing" that style of music. If he knows it, his vocal chords won't suffer any damage.
You are correct. My "singer" actually has great technique. For both singing and screaming/yelling/growling haha. I have met guys who do "vocals" (as we say in the metal biz lol) and they can't talk after or wreck their voice.

If you do it from your throat you are done, it all comes from the gut or diaphragm. I myself tried once as a joke which was followed by coughing and a sore throat so it won't happen again.

Thanks for the comments guys, I know this isn't for everyone.

Latest posts