New Artemus Pyle Skynrd Doc

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I watched it last night. It feels like a made for TV movie. It's called "Street Survivors The True Story Of The Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash" It's told from Artemus' point of view, and focus's heavily on his and Ronnie's relationship. Heavily focused on the crash and the aftermath. Artemus is in the film sort of as a narrarator, but someone else played him in the movie. I don't want to give away anything, but there's a scene when he's carrying his drums to the audition because his van broke down. I thought that was funny. It was ok, if you're a Skynyrd fan you should check it out.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Yikes, I just watched the trailer. It was hard to get through that 2 minutes.

I’m afraid I’m not morbid enough for a plane crash memoir, no matter how big the wig budget — and we’re talking a huge wig budget.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Where did you watch it? It isn't officially released until tomorrow, June 30th.

KevinD

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity for those who have seen this, were they able to use actual Skynrd music? (the trailer has a "Tuesday's Gone" sound alike and one that sounds like an Allman's soundalike) Sometimes it is hard to clear the licensing for a project like this so they have to resort to the sound alike route.

Interesting in that the trailer shows a DC 3 as the plane... the crash plane was a Convair 240.. I guess there are lots more DC-3s out there than Convairs.

Last edited:

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only Skynrd music that I recognized was Call Me The Breeze. Which isnt even their song, JJ Cale tune. Everything else is sound alike. I did notice in the credits that someone with the last name Pyle wrote most of the songs and Artemus played drums.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I watched it last night and I think that they did a good job with this biopic. In general, I can't stand music biopics because they all suck, the actors can't play an instrument and they don't even look like they are trying to fake it properly. This one isn't bad in that department, but the story is the story...we all know how it ends. I think that Artimus finally got his story out to the masses and it's worth the watch. Not having the licensing of the actual LS music didn't change the essence of this story. It was a tragic event that changed the course of rock and roll history forever. The future of LS and "what might have been" will forever be speculated as this band was still on it's way up the ladder when the tragic crash snuffed the life of it's charismatic leader, Ronnie Van Zant and gifted guitarist and songwriter, Steve Gaines, along with his sister Cassie Gaines (backup singer), along with members of the crew and pilots.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
The title comes up on NF, but there's no movie to open and clicking the title brings up other rock n roll movies... for me at least.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I watched it last night and I think that they did a good job with this biopic. In general, I can't stand music biopics because they all suck, the actors can't play an instrument and they don't even look like they are trying to fake it properly. This one isn't bad in that department, but the story is the story...we all know how it ends. I think that Artimus finally got his story out to the masses and it's worth the watch. Not having the licensing of the actual LS music didn't change the essence of this story. It was a tragic event that changed the course of rock and roll history forever. The future of LS and "what might have been" will forever be speculated as this band was still on it's way up the ladder when the tragic crash snuffed the life of it's charismatic leader, Ronnie Van Zant and gifted guitarist and songwriter, Steve Gaines, along with his sister Cassie Gaines (backup singer), along with members of the crew and pilots.
I thought they did a pretty good job with it. But it's really hard for me to believe that the pilots were really as inept as they are made to appear in this doc.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm watching it right now. Already in the first 5 minutes I have a nitpick: the Artimus impersonator is seen playing a stainless steel Ludwig double bass kit when he first joined LS. In reality he had a chrome-o-wood Slingerland kit when he first joined.

But a great looking Ludwig kit nonetheless. Especially it being stainless.

Latest posts