New Beats vs. Mastersounds

Phishbowlin

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is there a big difference (sonically) between the two? I ask because I've been looking to get a pair of 14" 90's NB's but I'm finding (at least on GC online) that Mastersounds are much more plentiful. Are they a close enough substitute to buy instead? Thanks.

dxtr

Reaction score
because of the waves on the bottom I personally find that the mastersounds have less body and tone, just a lot top end. I'm sure from the other side of a band the audience can't tell the difference but I could never find a pair I really loved.

I only ones I liked were HHX X-Cellerators. Besides that I can't get into them.

dxtr

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
I have owned both. "Master Sound" hats have a little less sustain than "New Beat" hats. Both sets have a great sizz-chick sound. The tone is very similar if you pick them out yourself, opposed to mail order when you get the luck of the draw.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a set of Mastersounds years ago...got rid of 'em. As nice as they were, they had too much top end for me, as previously stated. New Beats are, uh, hard to beat.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Every pair of Mastersound/Xcelerator hats I've owned or played has been heavier than their non-modified model counterparts. I can't stand super heavy hats anymore.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I'm finding (at least on GC online) that Mastersounds are much more plentiful. Are they a close enough substitute to buy instead?
Yes, I'd say so, if you went with the Avedis Mastersounds and not the A. Custom Mastersounds.
I really like my 14" Avedis Mastersounds because they're lively with well balanced frequencies and a great overall feel.
They're super dynamic & responsive but not harsh, and they'll cut just fine for any amplified gigging.

Mastersounds are probably my favorite all around hi-hats and I recommend them highly.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
EvEnStEvEn said:
I'm finding (at least on GC online) that Mastersounds are much more plentiful. Are they a close enough substitute to buy instead?
Yes, I'd say so, if you went with the Avedis Mastersounds and not the A. Custom Mastersounds.
I really like my 14" Avedis Mastersounds because they're lively with well balanced frequencies and a great overall feel.
They're super dynamic & responsive but not harsh, and they'll cut just fine for any amplified gigging.

Mastersounds are probably my favorite all around hi-hats and I recommend them highly.
The Mastersounds are my main hats. They record well also.

R

RickP

I have a 13" pair of A Custom Mastersounds and I like them a lot, very crisp, great foot chick( which I love) , they are really versatile. This is the second pair of these I have owned. The first pair I bought when Zildjian first introduced the A Custom Mastersounds and foolishly sold them. These were also lighter in weight than the pair I recently purchased.

[email protected]

DFO Master
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:

YES, I own the same hats,The Avedis hats are very good tone wise.

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The A Mastersounds I have are bright-sounding -- I use them a lot. Maybe because I've lost some high-end hearing over the years of playing, and they seem to make up for the high-end I want to hear. Which might mean they're TOO bright for folks with "normal" hearing.

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After owning 14 and 15-inch New Beats, I picked up a set of 14-inch A Mastersounds some years ago.

I found the difference in sound quite jarring at first. After a while I got used to the sound and now use them on a set where the band is on the loud side. I really like them a lot.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Anyone finding the 14" New Beats (recent models) to be too high pitched? I guess I'm talking more for a recording scenario. It seems like the trend is lower pitch these days. Live scenario probably wouldn't be as of concern.

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a pair of A Custom 13",s I bought new when they were released.. they are beautiful hats but i do prefer my Paiste sound edge

gerry :)