New Beats

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I shopped around a bit to find the lightest pair of the 2013 redesigned 15's I could find. I ended up with a top that weighs around 1036, even lighter than my similar sized K light and Paiste 602 ME tops. They work very well for me.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Bought my first pair three years ago - some 35 years after I started playing. New, redesigned and simply wonderful. Stupidly sold them when GASsing for something more exotic and bought another pair last year (14" both times).
I currently play my Paistes more than my Zildjians, but the New Beats, along with my 18" A Thin Crash and 20" A Crash Ride, are definite keepers. This setup will work in any situation.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
My first Zildjian hats were stolen, so I replaced them with some hollow logo 14” New Beats which are approximately 900 over 1400 grams. I don’t know the weights of the lost pair but the hollows are heavier.

Compared to those older Avedis hats, the 14” New Beat hollows drive like a muscle car with lots of musical torque.

Perhaps like a few of you, I’ve logged more time driving the New Beats than any other pair.

Articulate and punchy, they worked well when I played in a funk band with horns. They worked well playing in cover bands negotiating everything from The Temptations to Hendrix. They worked well even when played with an Elvis impersonator.

I use 15” K Lights mostly now for covers as I prefer the deeper tone, unless I’m playing outdoors and want something cutting, then the time tested New Beats sit proud and loud on the stand.

New Beats can’t be minimized, or denied, and for me they are the starting point of basic hi hat sound.

I want to have other options but will always have a pair of New Beats in the bag.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
For my entire drumming career, my hats were 15" 1960's A's that weren't even New Beats. I just got used to that sound. Getting back into drumming now after a long hiatus, I bought a pair of early 1970's New Beats at 936/1158 grams. I swear that I can't tell much of a difference if any between them and my 15's. The 14's sound about like hats should sound, in my opinion.

However, I confess to having a propensity to hi-hat snobbery, at least if lack of money didn't prevent me from buying more pairs. Truthfully, I think my hats now are on the sloshy side, which is nice if you want that, but sometimes I like a cleaner, crisper sound. I've also periodically run across hats I like better, just either haven't bought them or sold them after I did. For my tastes, I think I could do better than the New Beats.

But I'm about as far from a hotshot drummer now as you can get and have no need for hats that cater to my finickiest of tastes. Playing New Beats is about like driving a Toyota. You can probably do better, but the New Beats will take you where you want to go reliably at an affordable price.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first Zildjian hats were stolen, so I replaced them with some hollow logo 14” New Beats which are approximately 900 over 1400 grams. I don’t know the weights of the lost pair but the hollows are heavier.

Compared to those older Avedis hats, the 14” New Beat hollows drive like a muscle car with lots of musical torque.

Perhaps like a few of you, I’ve logged more time driving the New Beats than any other pair.

Articulate and punchy, they worked well when I played in a funk band with horns. They worked well playing in cover bands negotiating everything from The Temptations to Hendrix. They worked well even when played with an Elvis impersonator.

I use 15” K Lights mostly now for covers as I prefer the deeper tone, unless I’m playing outdoors and want something cutting, then the time tested New Beats sit proud and loud on the stand.

New Beats can’t be minimized, or denied, and for me they are the starting point of basic hi hat sound.

I want to have other options but will always have a pair of New Beats in the bag.
I think this is well said. I’ll use a few other pairs, but probably use new beats equally as often. Whenever I hear Erskine playing them...I think...they sound great and I’m not missing anything.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
New Beats always have sounded great. I don't use em much anymore, as I'm a Paisteaholic, but I still bring em out, and they still sound great.

Latest posts