New, beginner and have some questions.

Darrin85

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m new to the world of drumming and I’m not sure if I want to be serious or not. I originally set out to be a double bassist but found that it was hard because I couldn’t find a comfortable standing/sitting position with the instrument.

I was looking into playing drums. Ive been shown a few simple beats in the past and took the instrument much quicker/easier than the double bass.

I wanted to see if I could be serious about drums and seeing if I like it. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos about rudiments. I bought a pair of Vic firth 8d’s and, you’re going to laugh, a basketball to practice on. Someone said it was pretty good to learn with a basketball because it was round and could be more accurate than a drum pad? I’m learning, that might’ve been a mistake. Lol

I love jazz and want to play jazz. I thought that I should learn traditional grip like people like Gene Krupa (my favorite drummer), max roach and elvin Jones. After trying it from watching a few YouTube videos I realized that might’ve been a mistake because now my pinky hurts on my right hand (I’m left handed) like pretty bad.

I would love to get a teacher but with COVID-19, being furloughed from my job and not even sure if I’m really a drummer I’m a little hesitant. Is there anything that you would suggest I can do now? Should I scrap the trad grip for now?

Right now I don’t have any equipment. No drum set, snare or even a proper drum pad. Just a pair of sticks and a basketball. Lol

Thanks so much!

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Learning something new, is always going to lead to some pain. I'm sure your grip is probably more clenched than need be. But, as a beginner you have to get the feel of things.

There's nothing wrong with learning trad grip. And if you love jazz and want to play, by ALL MEANS, DO IT!! Things don't come quickly as a beginner. But as you improve, you'll notice yourself taking big jumps forward in skill level and technique. Your body/muscles will start "remembering" a little more and things will come easier. The thing about grip, you can switch back and forth easily. Traditional is NOT necessary for jazz.

You can get an online teacher, DEFINITELY search for that here!

I personally have never tried practicing on a basketball. I'm sure it "rebounds" high and quickly considering how bouncy it is. If that's what you have, for now it's fine. A mouse pad on a table has been a suggestion I've seen.

Good luck.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah. Drums you're going to want " a vocabulary". That involves going back- to the beginnings- 1920s-- and coming forward thru the decades. And also involves somewhat military drumming (thru those same ages) marches etc Symphony-------with the entire point being developing Vocabulary

(vocabulary : your hands and feet (ability) mind, head & ears , "on" the skins..)

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I learned by using a phone book as a practice pad...it was all I could afford at the time, but it turned out to be a great way to learn doubles.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
A teacher will help a lot.
There are a couple of people on this site who teach and might be able to do so remotely.

There are a few of us here who cycle and drum...it took me nearly 200 miles this season before my butt doesn't hurt...when starting drumming there will be a period where you have to think more about drumming than actual drumming...but if you put in the time...you'll be making music.

When I started I was told to play into a pillow because there was no rebound....so you work harder.

As for gear...when you get there...IMO...buy used...and take your time. This is a great site to learn about drumming and drums.

Welcome

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Use a magazine or newspaper as a practice pad. Practice some rudiments - single stroke roll, double stroke roll, paradiddle. Find an online metronome, learn to play steady, learn to count. Play along with recordings.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and to drumming in general. Having been a drummer for 63 years, I have a couple of thoughts about your situation.

First, get a teacher. This is not a great time for private lessons, but lots of teachers are offering online instruction. This isn't perfect, IMO, but will be a lot better than relying on youtube. And a good teacher will help keep you from developing bad habits that will hinder you down the road and be difficult to overcome.

I understand and agree with the desire to play jazz, and have always played traditional grip, but in your situation I'd learn matched grip, especially if you're a lefty. I'm a natural lefty who was taught traditional right handed grip, and it has served me very well. Playing reverse trad is only going to add complications you don't need.

I rather like the idea of a basketball as a practice pad. Although it will give more rebound it forces you to be more accurate if you want good response. One of my early teachers used a half dollar coin to draw a circle in the middle of my drum head, and insisted that every stroke land inside the circle. Over the decades I've gotten lax in that precision, but it helps with consistent sound. All the suggestions for playing surface have different advantages and drawbacks, but a good pad with a delineated target spot will help your development the most. Lacking a serious pad, a mouse pad on a table is a very good substitute on a low budget.

Good luck, and have fun.

davidh

Reaction score
I learned traditional grip for pipe band marching in 1960 long before the modern suspension carriers, the drum fell from the sling at an angle so you had to use that grip or your left elbow would jab the bloke next to you. When I got a set about 1965 I kept playing that style but most rock players after Ringo played straight as on the drum set it makes much more ergonomic sense. I played and still play both grips (as did Art Blakey) according to the volume and style required but I will never have the fine control straight as I have traditional, but I acquired that left hand strength with hours and hours and miles and miles pipe band playing on the march. I see a lot younger players using various not-very-good trad grip styles more out wanting to be cool than any functional or musical purpose so think clearly as what you start with you are stuck with. Unless you are marching old style with a sling keep to straight grip. The only benefit traditional has on the drum set is that you can sit closer to the drums but you lose fluidity on round-the kit playing.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Drums you're going to want " a vocabulary". That involves going back- to the beginnings- 1920s-- and coming forward thru the decades. And also involves somewhat military drumming (thru those same ages) marches etc Symphony-------with the entire point being developing Vocabulary

(vocabulary : your hands and feet (ability) mind, head & ears , "on" the skins..)
Partial to Dave Tough and the Austin High Gang myself

A lost master

LarryJ

Reaction score
Like Paul, I have 60+ years drumming, mostly jazz and blues. Current regular gigs are a big band, blues/rock trio, and praise and worship at church, with an occasional bop gig. Have played traditional grip my whole life.

I agree with everything Paul said. If I could do it over, I would start with matched grip and learn to play "open", i.e. ride and hat patterns (ride cymbal on left side of kit) with left hand and back beat with right.

I have had to switch from traditional to matched grip for church since modern p&w music uses so much floor tom. Two floor tom's are easier to reach with matched grip and, at my age, I can hardly reach the second floor tom with my left hand using traditional grip. Plus I do a lot of 16ths on the hats, which I find to be easier with matched. Advantages for matched grip. I can't think of any advantage to traditional.

The open setup, with ride on the left, will be more controversial and may not be something you want to try. I wish I had. If you learn to lead with your left hand, you put can put the ride on the left side next to the hats and use your right hand for back beats and fills. None of this crazy crossover we traditionalists have to do. Play the left side of the kit with the left hand, right side with right hand, just like many lefties do.

But in the end, take some lessons, play how and what YOU want, and just have fun. That's the whole point.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Pain in the little finger of the traditional grip hand?!
Maybe just get used to the way a stick falls and rebounds for more time rather than working on any type of rhythm exercises. And go really slow, feeling it thoroughly.

fibes3

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m new to the world of drumming and I’m not sure if I want to be serious or not. I originally set out to be a double bassist but found that it was hard because I couldn’t find a comfortable standing/sitting position with the instrument.

I was looking into playing drums. Ive been shown a few simple beats in the past and took the instrument much quicker/easier than the double bass.

I wanted to see if I could be serious about drums and seeing if I like it. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos about rudiments. I bought a pair of Vic firth 8d’s and, you’re going to laugh, a basketball to practice on. Someone said it was pretty good to learn with a basketball because it was round and could be more accurate than a drum pad? I’m learning, that might’ve been a mistake. Lol

I love jazz and want to play jazz. I thought that I should learn traditional grip like people like Gene Krupa (my favorite drummer), max roach and elvin Jones. After trying it from watching a few YouTube videos I realized that might’ve been a mistake because now my pinky hurts on my right hand (I’m left handed) like pretty bad.

I would love to get a teacher but with COVID-19, being furloughed from my job and not even sure if I’m really a drummer I’m a little hesitant. Is there anything that you would suggest I can do now? Should I scrap the trad grip for now?

Right now I don’t have any equipment. No drum set, snare or even a proper drum pad. Just a pair of sticks and a basketball. Lol

Thanks so much!
Darrin,
Welcome to the forum.

I have a practice pad you are welcomed to.
PM (private message) me and we'll work out the details.

Dave.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks so much!
I started a couple years ago in my 60's. I went matching grip because I didnt want to learn two grips. I still make that work but I am getting more interested in jazz. I am still committed to the grip though. Find a program you can progress through and learn to play music as soon as you can. What ever you try to learn start slow. Dont fall into the speed trap

Michael La Voie

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks so much!
Find a comfortable posture sitting height, stick grip, arms level, feet comfortably grounded, matched grip, some basic rudiments, 5B sticks at first, and fake play to the radio or albums (Cd’s) today. Fake a bass drum and 2&4 a fake hi-hat. Start slow and try to make it fun. In a few years loading cases of drums to gigs you’ll wish you took up harmonica (kidding). When shelter-in order is over, visit drum shops and talk to staff & people. Drummers are enthusiastic and friendly people. You’ll be keeping time and accompanying songs in “no time”. Listen hard to the structure of the SONGS hopefully with a good ear for tunes. Find your groove first. Flash will come later. Save for a cheap full set. Play to CD’s. Mimic
Hello,

Thanks so much!

Michael La Voie

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks so much!